[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bible translations/editions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: themessage.jpg (457 KB, 1200x1713) Image search: [Google]
themessage.jpg
457 KB, 1200x1713
Hi /lit/,

What is your preferred translation or edition of the Bible? I have a NIV but I'm buying a copy for a friend to read so we can read the whole thing together. (Okay, it's not a friend, it's my mom, fuck you, we like to read stuff together and she has good taste.) Interested more in poetic and literary value of the translation than in theological content or adherence to a particular interpretation of Christianity. The KJV bits I've read are beautiful so I was leaning towards one of the slightly modernized KJVs (like the "21st Century King James Version," etc.) but what are your thoughts? Are there editions with particularly good notes or editors' remarks?
>>
Bump, surprised by the lack of responses as I've seen /lit/ argue about this before. Was my image too ironic?
>>
http://biblehub.com/john/14-6.htm
>>
>>7450718

It sounds like you have about the best plan for your situation already; I was mentally forming a response (KJV is most literary; updated version might be easier), but then you said just that.
>>
>>7450718
Norton's KJV is fantastic, containing a very wide breadth of not only commentary on the Bible but relevant ancient myths, poems, and philosophical works.
>>
>>7450718
>my mom has good taste
>we unironically enjoy the bible
Please, pick one. Alternatively: leave your parents' basement and gain your independence.
>>
ESV is big w the circles I roll in.
>>
>>7451555
I'm 28, I haven't lived at home since I graduated high school. We read War & Peace and The Brothers Karamazov this year. If you have parents that read it's a good way to stay in touch with them.

>>7451504
>>7451517
>>7451532
>>7451559
Thanks buds
>>
Read Cayce's readings if you have questions on a particular verse or verses (or books, such as Revelations). He also, only ever read the old KJV, which is why his readings are spoken in that language.

"As given in the information, the entity is that combination of the physical body throughout all its experiences in or through the earth, in or through the universe, and the reactions that have been builded by those various or varied experiences, or the spiritual body of an individual. That that IS individual; that that is the sum total of all experience. Then for the ENTITY to create, or give, or be life, it must be a living, acting example of that it is, and not as something separated, inactive, inanimate, not giving but gradually deteriorating. There is the variation that may be seen in the material world as an example: As long as life is in whatever may be a manifestation in the material plane, it IS a GROWTH. As soon as it becomes an inanimate object (though it may be serving a purpose), it IMMEDIATELY BEGINS to deteriorate, disintegrate. BE an entity! BE a LIVING entity! See?"

http://www.aawmagazine.com/0262/010.html
>>
>>7451555

The Authorized Version (i.e. Kings James translation) is outstanding, and can be enjoyed ironically. It and the works of Shakespeare are the two absolutely foundational works of the modern English language.
>>
>2015
>Not reading New World Translations
>>
>>7452104

Enjoyed unironically*
>>
>>7452110
What does that one have going for it in terms of OP? Or is this just Jehovah's Witness promotion?
>>
>>7452110
?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.