[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Owls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: otulissa best owl.jpg (32 KB, 316x459) Image search: [Google]
otulissa best owl.jpg
32 KB, 316x459
It's cool to talk about children's literature here right? I just don't see anybody talking about this. I feel like I'm the only person I know that's even read these.

For those of you that have actually read them:
Do you think that the movie would have been as successful if they did a more faithful adaptation of the books? Would it have been too intense to be marketable as a children's film?
>>
>children's literature

Generally, only when it actually is literature and not just books. "The Little Prince" gets mad play here but stuff like your OP not really. Seems like a mere book (not literature proper).

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/539168-the-difference-between-books-and-literature
>>
>>7448679
You just reminded me of /tv/. I don't mean that as an insult, but what you just said is awfully reminiscent of what they'll describe to you as the distinction between a "film" and a "movie". With the former, of course, being the /tv/ equivalent of "literature" as opposed to the latter, which would be the /tv/ equivalent of a "book".

Still though, I've seen more off-topic discussion on the front page. Surely this is close enough so that we can discuss it?
>>
>>7448679
What do people think of Watership Down? I loved that book when I was younger. Re-reading it I can now notice all the various themes and devices throughout.

It's also weird / interesting how when you break it all down it's just a pretty typical adventure genre fiction
>>
>>7448679
Is Pollyanna considered Children's Lit?
>>
>>7448701
From my experience /tv/ mainly talk about big budget Hollywood movies.
>>
File: Otulissa.gif (52 KB, 200x335) Image search: [Google]
Otulissa.gif
52 KB, 200x335
>>7448835
Mostly, but there are a good number of threads for lesser known and/or more artistically challenging films.
>>
File: gahoole.png (2 MB, 1000x618) Image search: [Google]
gahoole.png
2 MB, 1000x618
>>7448661

You're the first person I've encountered who has also read these. They are easily the best books I read as a kid. They were really easy to read and about animals, but the actual content of the stories struck me as much more mature than most children's books.

The movie probably would've been marketable to kids if it was more faithful to the books. There are a lot of children's movies which are done in a more serious manner that became successful. Though from Warner Brother's perspective making it in the unfaithful manner was essentially guaranteed money and a lot less risky.
>>
>>7450886
Not OP, but also read them as a kid. Never finished the series though. I also thought the movie did a poor job of capturing the essence of the story.
>>
What do you guys think of The Neverending Story? It's one of my favorite Children's books.
>>
>>7448789
>all
I never read the book, but I saw the movie. I remember sitting in front of my tv and thinking " dafuq I just watched". Now that I am an adult, watership down is in my top 10 list of must watch.
>>
Kenneth Opell is the superior flying animal children's author.

Silverwing, Sunwing, Firewing. Just read a good review for his new book 'The Nest' so he's still at it.
>>
>>7448661
man that series was one of my favorites back in the day. That, and Deltora Quest were 8/8
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.