[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best self-improvement books, /lit/? Which ones have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 1441824219113.jpg (366 KB, 800x1212) Image search: [Google]
1441824219113.jpg
366 KB, 800x1212
What are the best self-improvement books, /lit/?
Which ones have really changed your worldview?
>>
Books that aren't called self-help books. You can turn anything into a self-help book so don't waste your money on books that are nothing else.
>>
>>7447133
By self-Improvement I don't mean self-help, I just mean books that have helped people change or transform.
>>
Yang Chu's Garden of Pleasure
>>
>>7447172
What translation do you recommend senpai?
>>
>>7447140
Oh my bad. For some reason I misread it as self-help and my eyes glazed over with fury.
>>
File: 416318.jpg (27 KB, 180x278) Image search: [Google]
416318.jpg
27 KB, 180x278
>>
>>7447187
It can be found in the Leih Tzu which has a scholary translation by Graham, or there's a new one by the Chinese Classics society or something.

Or there's this one here: http://sacred-texts.com/tao/ycgp/index.htm

Yang Zhu is a Chinese ethical egoist
>>
>>7447224
Ah, nice.
I know of sacred-texts but I don't think I've browsed the Taoist section on it, thanks.
>>
>>7447193
>Oh my bad. For some reason I misread it as self-help and my eyes glazed over with fury.
Thanks for confirming the belief I had that all the shitting on any form of self-help was just done by hivemind idiots.
>>
>>7447101
critical theory today helped me not be so racist and actually think
>>
>>7447243
which theorists?
>>
>>7447231
>being part of the anti-anti-self-help hivemind hivemind
Yeah ok friendo. Self-help is undoubtedly shit. The ability to improve yourself without being spoon-fed is akin to learning how to Google properly.
>>
>>7447253
critical theory today, covers a lot of theorists. they also assigned me soyinkas death and the kings horseman which made me then hate the british, so i guess it sort of just turned my racism around.
>>
>>7447283
Fuck off you paddy cunt; rule brittania
>>
The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
>>
>>7447264
Your blanket statements and uppitinenss about something you don't know anything about is annoying and it's spread to become a general disposition here. Why wouldn't I be against it? I don't even like self-help tbqh. Even meme shit like Aurelius' Meditations, which is self-help I hope you know.
And I agree about learning to Google but if people learned how to do that and make minor decisions by themselves, /lit/ would lose 90% of its threads.
>>
The Gospel of Luke and Walden have both completely turned my life around.
>>
>>7447307
My uppityness was in response to yours.

My initial reply to you was civil.
>>
bamp for interest
>>
>>7447217
Emphasis on this.
>>
>>7447217
where the fug do you find a cheap version of this book? Even the used ones on amazon are still like £17-£20.
>>
File: 61nVpYSpLdL.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61nVpYSpLdL.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
this one is good especially if you worry a lot about if you did the right thing in a situation or worry about doing the wrong thing a lot. it really made me more calm and confident in my own actions and helped me love everyone.
>>
>>7447493
Is it also good if you suffer from obsessive thoughts?
>>
>>7447101
>>
>>7447503
hmm, you know i'm not really sure. maybe if your obsessive thoughts are usually centered around other people? or if they are the result of you feeling like a victim in some way? lemme know if you're interested. i can mail it to you
>>
Wisdom writings from all the great religions
Epictetus
Schopenhauer
>>
>>7447537
Nah, my obsessive thoughts aren't really centered around other people, they're centered around stuff like 'fug, what if that happened? or what if it didn't happen?' and arbitrary objects of obsession that I'm way too attached to.
>>
Walden
>>
>>7447548
oh i see. have you looked into the power of now? i know thats the most obvious self help book but it could be really good for you if you have a lot of what-ifs because it teaches you why thinking about the past and future like that is essentially pointless. my morning drive to work is so much different now vs. before i found that book.
>>
>>7447573
Ah, okay. The Power of Now is going on my to -read list if I can finally get rid of shitty 'what-ifs'. Thanks senpai.
>>
>>7447589
np! hit me up if you ever wanna talk about it. [email protected]
>>
File: 2.jpg (19 KB, 619x415) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
19 KB, 619x415
>>7447101
It's all about the three D's anon

Daoism
David Hume
Hegellian Dialectic
>>
I've always detested self help and guide books. They are either a mad man ranting about how he would do things from an uneducated perspective or some people that made a list and segmented the proper action of activity in such a way that it doesn't help anyone. I've learned more from visual "life hack" books than I have reading things like How to Win Friends.

You want to become social read a text book on Interpersonal Communication Theory

You want to learn Business? Read a fucking Business Text Book.

You want to delve into the mind of a diluted human being and decipher what you think he thinks is good practice? Read a fucking self help book.
>>
>>7447243
yikes
>>
>>7447101
Infinite Jest
>>
>>7448022
The brothers Karamazov or War and Peace are essentially better versions of that book
w/r/t its thesis and execution.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.