[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished pic related, what are /lits/ thoughts on this book.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_mbrfe6grwn1ru1sa9o5_1280.jpg (321 KB, 1108x1600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbrfe6grwn1ru1sa9o5_1280.jpg
321 KB, 1108x1600
Just finished pic related, what are /lits/ thoughts on this book.

Also what's the best hemingway
>>
>>7445053
hemmingway*
>>
That cover is so fucking lame.

I wish it was a universal rule that OP MUST kick off the discussion himself rather than just lazily going: Thing. Thoughts?
>>
File: sunalsorises.jpg (123 KB, 299x504) Image search: [Google]
sunalsorises.jpg
123 KB, 299x504
>>7445053
What are YOUR thoughts? You just finished it, the majority of us haven't read it or haven't read it in a while. Don't be a bundle of stick.

The Sun Also Rises is his best work. The next "big" novels of his are (in order) The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and A Farewell to Arms.

>>7445072
The first edition Scribner's is nice, so is the later edition (pic related).
>>
File: BULL 8_905.jpg (175 KB, 905x579) Image search: [Google]
BULL 8_905.jpg
175 KB, 905x579
Since OP is a faggot... I reread the book for the second time just a couple of days ago. It's great. Maybe Hem's best work, though I personally love the Garden of Eden.
The sun also rises just perfectly captures the feeling of being only a bystander to your own life and how women paralyze you. Jake hardly acts, unless he is without Brett. The chapters where Brett was gone are much more focused on him, his actions and feelings. Any time she's around it's about her, Cohn, Mike and to a lesser extent Romero. Whenever these four have their love..rectangle (?) Jake steps to the sideline.
Then we have Bill, a character I still haven't figured out. He's not as much of a beta as Mike and Jake, but not the Alpha Romero is. He's also not the loser Cohn is, who constantly tries to appear superior. Bill just is.

>Women made such swell friends. Awfully swell. In the first place, you had to be in love with a woman to have a basis of friendship. I had been having Brett for a friend.

One of my favorite lines ever.
>>
>>7445053
>Also what's the best hemingway
For whom the Bells toll
>>
I've only read The Old Man and the Sea and a couple of his short stories. Hemingway's prose is fucking killer. A friend of mine got me the cheesey b&n complete Hemingway for my birthday, so I'll probably start on that pretty soon and just read his novels in chronological order. I'm pretty excited.
>>
>best Hemingway
His short story collection, which will likely be the majority reply here.
>>
>>7445882
Came here to post this
"In Our Time" specifically
>>
>>7445882
>not TOMATS
topkuk
>>
The best Hemingway is Islands In The Stream. The first act is a far superior version of the same story as Old Man.
>>
>>7448055
No, it fucking isn't. Old Man has certain sentences worth more than Islands in the Stream as a whole.
>>
>>7448058

Such as?
>>
>>7448063
>There is no translation for this word and perhaps it is just a noise such as a
man might make, involuntarily, feeling the nail go through his hands and into the wood.
>>
If you liked Sun Also Rises check out Garden of Eden.

Hemingway was the first red pill I took. I really put women on a pedestal before then and this book really showed me that people can have your best interests only in appearance sometimes.

Hemingway will lose his influence in the coming years since he is exhibit A in regards to literary muh-soggy-knee. Public education will get keked and then he won't be mandatory reading for high schoolers anymore.

That's life. I'll always recommend him.
>>
A Clean, Well-Lighted Place is his best for me. I have yet to read any of his novels.
>>
>>7448074

yeah we get it, it's a word so cool only jesus can get crucified by it. yawn.
>>
>>7448167
No, it actually isn't that at all. Kek, I love when arrogant idiots completely fuck up in their complacency
>>
>>7448152
wait so what have you been reading then? Danielle Steele?

The Green Hills of Africa. Hemingway's short fiction > novels. Like, A Farewell to Arms was all-around perfect and amazing until I got to be 16 and realized that women are not just cardboard cutouts to be fetishized ("Little rabbit" scene, etc) (but that last scene, with the walking back in the rain, is something I'll never apologize for loving)

For Whom The Bell Tolls is as good as they come, they don't make them anymore, but if my house was on fire I'd grab his collected short fiction first, easily

The Sun Also Rises changed my life
The Old Man and the Sea introduced me to serious literature
For Whom the Bell Tolls made me want to fight for noble ideals
A Farewell to Arms made me want to fall in love during wartime

Much like Salinger, a key part of reading. Hemingway:Zepplin's Greatest Hits::Literature:Rock music
>>
>>7445562
I have been thinking about picking up Garden of Eden if you're still here please elaborate on what it is held so highly. Thank you :)
>>
>>7448113
It is weird, I was excited to hear about Garden Of Eden but then you came in with your bullshit meninist redpill memes and kinda ruined it for me.
>>
The Sun Also Rises is my favourite Hemingway.

>>7445562
Besides all that, the book has fascinating insights about war time, and the feeling which struck an entire world right after it. The part where the bull-fight is described in comparison to a war is one of Hemingway's absolute peaks as a writer.
>>
I just finished the old man and the sea, and I honestly don't get it
can someone explain what makes it so great?
>>
>>7448951
Garden of Eden is very atypical for Hemingway. It lacks the classic manly character. It's mainly a story about feelings, about love and about relationships. What I found so amazing about it is, that it doesn't have the ususal approach to these themes like a stereotypical women's love story bullshit book would have. It's still very manly and I gotta say I even enjoyed the plot, even though it's just about a love triangle.
In short I'd say it's a book about the feelings men are 'forbidden' from experiencing. The main character is very passive, even more of a bystander than Jake in the Sun also Rises.
I really don't want to tell you too much. Also, what
>>7448113
said is mostly bullshit. Read the book.

I'm a little biased about the book because two weeks after reading it I pretty much experienced the shit happening. Of course not 1:1, but close enough to make me question if my life was the fucking Truman show. Think of me when you read, anon.

Oh, one more thing. The descriptions of the land are some of the greatest ever written. I've been to southern France and Spain often. It's exactly like that.
>>
No one mentioned it yet, so I just want to also recommend A Moveable Feast. Might not be his best work, but it's an interesting and more biographical story about his time as an expatriot in France.
>>
>>7449147
What most of Papa's critics didn't understand and still don't understand is that no matter how much bull shit he wrote, what matters is that he had the care to record it and record it well. You should read Hemingway in Love right after A moveable feast. Freaking fantastic. And then read Fitzgeralds "A short Auto biography"
>>
>>7445053
Did someone scrawl with a blue pencil on top of that blade or is that how the cover is?

also

>not using the wine sac instead
>>
>>7445053
I can't help but feel that Hemingway is overrated. I've read all four of his most celebrated novels (and some of his short fiction), and I have to say the best of them is For Whom the Bell Tolls. But I'm kind of a pleb and read more for the feels than anything else.
>>
>>7451730
One other thing: You'll notice that despite his eternal pessimism and the fact that he blew his brains out, strangely Hemingway's major novels became more positive about life with time. Sun Also Rises (1926) and Farewell to Arms (1929) are both downers, especially the latter. For Whom the Bell Tolls (1940) isn't exactly upbeat but it has a message of hope and fighting the good fight and being glad you're alive, even if only for a short while. This latter theme was then emphasized in Old Man and the Sea (1952), exhorting people to live life to the fullest and celebrating the human experience, even in the seemingly mundane.
>>
>>7445060
*hemingway
>>
>>7451730
He is overrated. Still an incredible author in my opinion, but being more well-known among casual readers than any other modernist is just not something he deserves.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.