[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, help me compare Franz Kafka and H.P. Lovecraft.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: i5TuXbg.jpg (69 KB, 536x800) Image search: [Google]
i5TuXbg.jpg
69 KB, 536x800
Hey /lit/,

help me compare Franz Kafka and H.P. Lovecraft.
>>
do your own homework anon
>>
>>7443561
I-I didn't I just want more ideas from a community of intelligent individuals.
>>
>>7443551
That picture made me kek.
>>
>>7443569
>looking for intelligent individuals on /lit/
>>
They were both outsiders.
>Kafka's a German speaking jew in the Czech Republic
>Lovecraft was born two centuries too late
Daddy Issues
>Kafka doesn't want to be part of the family business
>Lovecraft's father dies early, cuts himself off from poorer Lovecrafts and embrace his mother's family's old school new england heritage

And both wrote weird fiction as the result.
>>
>>7443589
I had something similar to that, thanks.
>>
>>7443594
Remember that Kafka>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HPL though.
>>
>>7443595
I'm not quite sure about that...
>>
if it's homework go to sparknotes and look in the general/thematic/etc. categories on kafka for stuff like his presentation of the uncanny or horrific in everyday life or institutiosn or whatever the fuck the vogue reading of kafka probably is

then compare that with lovecraft's idea of horror lurking beneath or underlying everyday life

then jerk me off....
>>
>>7443597
:/
>>
File: 1404731375393.png (350 KB, 851x459) Image search: [Google]
1404731375393.png
350 KB, 851x459
>>7443595
>translations can ever be better than an original english piece
>>
>>7443599
I liked Der Verwandlung and all, but I found at the Mountains of Madness far more interesting. Kafka is just depressing and obscure, at least for my tastes. I did really like Das Schloss though.
>>
>>7443599
Die Verwandlung*, thrown an apple at me and kill me
>>
>>7443615
>reading translations

Anon, I...
>>
It's fucking annoying when anyone judges Kafka based on The Metamorphosis, especially when they like it.
>>
>>7443551
It's not just scribbles. You ever see cursive russian? The shit is a total mess.
>>
>>7443597
Maybe anon added a few too many >'s; but Kafka is, without a doubt, better than Lovecraft in both the style and content department.
>>
File: odBU94z.jpg (89 KB, 648x350) Image search: [Google]
odBU94z.jpg
89 KB, 648x350
>>7443756

You should see their doctors.
>>
>>7445003
Woah!

You have both Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali's autograph.

I am jealous.
>>
>>7445003
fake and homoerotic
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.