[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christian philosphy recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
I've really been enjoying Christian philosophy of late. I've found the works of Aquinas to be especially rewarding but I've also gotten into some of Boethius and Dante.
Does /lit/ have any recommendations of other Christian philosophical/theological writings?
>>
Early Church Fathers
Desert Fathers
>>
post-revolution and especially 20th century catholic philosophy is some of the least tapped shit with the most potential in the history of western thought

jesuit studies is huge right now but still everyone is ignoring all these 20th century catholic conservatives
>>
>>7443306
nice thread
>>
File: images.jpg (17 KB, 408x600) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17 KB, 408x600
Based off of 17th century writings by jesuit missionaries who underwent persecution in feudalist Japan. Deals with concepts of apostasy and faith in adversity but most heavily it addresses the question of why God remains silent during times of adversity. It provides explanations as it can, in one instance positing that as the faithful suffer Jesus suffers along with them. This theme is prevalent throughout the novel and it's a depressing read but an interesting look at more modern christian theology.
>>
>>7443699
w2c anon
>>
File: 1418891830447.jpg (425 KB, 1000x1456) Image search: [Google]
1418891830447.jpg
425 KB, 1000x1456
Just started Mere Christianity, pretty basic but I think its the perfect beginners book for this?

Any suggestions after it?
>>
>>7443717
Couldn't tell you, I got it from a used book store some time ago. Amazon?
Apparently it's being made into a movie by Martin Scorsese in a couple years so you could just wait until that comes out and I'm sure the books will be in stores everywhere.
>>
There are so many so I'm just gonna focus on modern(ish) big names.

If you liked Aquinas, I think Alisdair MacIntyre's writings on virtue ethics is a must. He's a lot of fun to read as well.

CS Lewis is the best starting point for modern Christianity, and I would argue that the Screwtape Letters are a great answer to the question of what it means to be a Christian in the modern world.

If you want to get into Protestantism, Kierkegaard will take you through the importance of the one-on-one relationship with God without the intermediary of any institution. If you go far enough down the Protestant path, you'll eventually want to tackle Barth who is difficult but extremely rewarding in his works on grace.
>>
>>7443306
I recommend some St.Augustine whose also a very influential thinker within the Catholic church like Aquinas.
>>
>>7443306
>>7443732
Try athanasius, but go down the list.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/
>>
>>7443316
Any specific authors? I'd definitely like to look into them.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.