[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you fell for the flash fiction meme >tfw no one respects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: submittable.jpg (425 KB, 1615x792) Image search: [Google]
submittable.jpg
425 KB, 1615x792
>tfw you fell for the flash fiction meme
>tfw no one respects you
End my life.
>>
I have no idea what that picture is of (I assume your submittal to publishers) but I absolutely love flash fiction. It's a short story that cuts out the middleman and gets right to the point. Sort of like sex with a chick that knows how to push your buttons; you go deep and fast, bust a nut, enjoy the afterglow, and you go again.

I don't mean to insult you but have you ever thought that maybe your work doesn't fit the niche that the publisher in trying to fill? I'm not saying your writing isn't good but what if it just isn't what they're looking for?
>>
>>7875548
What kind of works are you submitting?
>>
>>7875596
I love it, too. The problem I've found with other writers in the genre is that they feel the need to drastically up the stakes in order to convey profundity in a very brief number of words. So every third or fourth flash fiction story is about someone dying, or someone getting cancer, or things of that nature. It annoys me to no end. People mistakenly believe that because their time with the reader is so limited, they can just "fast-forward" to an emotional connection by making the story SUPER SAD right off the bat, and it just comes off as forced and flat.
>>
>>7875656

Yeah I hear you man. You can't rush these things. These stories either get the point across in the right way or they fall flat on their face.

It makes me feel kinda sad to see people like OP give up hope in a genre over something so petty.
>>
>>7875548
If anything, normal-length fiction is the meme now because of how much of a circlejerk the industry and MFA-crowd of editors who run these things is.

Flash fiction is all they deserve, because there's no real incentive to invest the amount of time it'd take to write a full-length story when you're just going to be vaguely told it's "not a good fit" through a form rejection sent by an unpaid intern who hasn't even read it "working" for 90% of the fucks you send it to anyway, unless you're already famous enough to get anything published anywhere.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.