[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the meaning of life? How much does anything matter? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 01403-38.jpg (72 KB, 472x333) Image search: [Google]
01403-38.jpg
72 KB, 472x333
What is the meaning of life?
How much does anything matter?
What is the purpose of life as a whole?
How much control do I have my life?

What do you guys think about these questions.

I have to do an assignment where I have to give a 2+ min monologue or short story on the questions. I don't want to look autistic or future school shooter by giving a monologue.

What animals do you think would be good for an allegory where an animal thinks about the questions and asks three different animals for their opinions on the question.

>pic related
>>
Long story short, no one fucking knows. Many great minds have delved into these questions and many have differing opinions.

You can align yourself to the ones that you feel connect with your world view and that's fine but at the end of the day we're all grasping for meaning in a possibly meaningless world or a meaningful world that likes to keep the meaning "hidden" as to find the meaning easily would discredit life's significance (if it has any)
>>
>>7440120
I guess I would try to have animals with three different views on life and the main character not being able to choose the correct one or taking something from each of the three's views.

I am not sure what animals to use that represent archetypes of views on life. I might take the lazy route and use turtle and hare for 2 of animals
>>
>>7440083
>What is the meaning of life?
This cannot be answered in any universal sense but must be sought out on an individual basis. There is one, though, for each person.
>How much does anything matter?
The distinction to be made here is that the matter part, and the units involved, stay the same but the weight (and those respective units) differ. So on the moon something will weigh one-sixth as much (measured in pounds, ounces, and so on) as on earth, but the matter will be the same.
>What is the purpose of life as a whole?
This is more or less covered above, but the key has to do with relationships (not romantic).
>How much control do I have my life?
Not a lot, but *some*.
>>
Have it be some idiot trying to ask the three animals a set of questions (adding variations on those shitty questions about existence/life). Then make it apparent that the animals aren't answering because they can't communicate in the human language. Then have the inquisitor get frustrated and angry at the unaccommodating nature of the animals, concluding with the animals just smiling indifferently back at him. Upon seeing this he just pets the animals.
>>
File: 99oNJEe.png (731 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
99oNJEe.png
731 KB, 1920x1080
>>7440210
An animal would be asking other animals the question
Not a person
>>
>>7440244
that's not the fucking point.
>>
Why do people ask these questions? What are they hoping to accomplish with an answer?

In this universe, there is no such thing as truly being "still". Everything moves, moving is in the nature of everything, moving is the undefiable objective of everything.

Great intelligence see the future. They see "moving in circles" as equivalent to not moving at all, so all futures where their actions contradict themselves are removed. The thinker becomes aware of its own imperfection and is paralyzed by the realization that it doesn't know whether a given step it takes will lead somewhere or inevitably lead nowhere. Prescience takes priority over everything else. Singularity of the mind.
>>
>>7440265
I guess at the basic level our purpose is simply to breed for our species and play our part in the world as humans.

But past the level, there is no universal truth for the meaning of everyone's life.

It is up to each individual to answer the question in a way that applies only to themself
>>
>>7440210
>>7440255

Are you trying to say that a person would go to animals and ask the questions then later reflect that we as humans actually do have more meaning to our lives than the other animals.

Like a satire of what I had originally planned to do
>>
>>7440296
Sure, but also establish the wise (although instinctual) indifference seen in the animals.
>>
http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
>>
>>7440284
>It is up to each individual to answer the question in a way that applies only to themself
Humans are not special little snowflakes that are each given their own special little quest. A human does not emerge from nothing, apart from everything else. It's so cringeworthy seeing how common romantic trite like this is.
>>
>>7440323
Haven't read this is fucking 4 years, fuck.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.