[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, in my upcoming lit class I have to read a book from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 9780786476916_1.jpg (37 KB, 230x329) Image search: [Google]
9780786476916_1.jpg
37 KB, 230x329
Hey /lit/, in my upcoming lit class I have to read a book from a list. Any thoughts on what I should read? Here are the choices:

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Anthem by Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Native Son by Richard Wright
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Any thoughts? Thanks.
>>
>>7440031
Native Son or Invisible Man definitely. Invisible Man if you want to read something shorter.

I didn't like Zora or Morrison. Haven't read Color Purple but it seems pleb. And Ayn Rand makes me think this is bait but she is so shitty.
>>
learn to pick a book yourself retard
>>
>>7440042
I go to a school with a shitton of neocons who like her and I know the prof is pretty liberal. I think she just put them there so that at least someone will pick Rand up and realize she's bad.
>>
>>7440031

Invisible Man is fantastic, had a great time reading it. Existential in nature and well written, with a perverse sense of humor.

For the rest of your life you're going to have to clarify that you read the "invisible to society" one and not the "invisible like literally" one
>>
>>7440090
Haha.

But yeah, Invisible Man and Native Son are basically must-reads. I loved them both. Choose Native Son if you have a lot of time or Invisible Man if you want to finish quickly.
>>
>>7440123
I read the short story "Battle Royale" by Ellison, that shit was dank as fuck, I'd go as far as he's the black Pynchon, or is that racist
>>
Invisible Man is my pick. I haven't read the other responses but having read almost everything there I think it is the most valuable. God don't read ayn rand whatever you do.
>>
Invisible Man is probably the best on that list. Native Son is my favorite.

Anthem's real short and introduces you to Rand's basic outlook in a few hours. Morrison and Walker are talented but you have to want to read them. I read Hurston in High School and didn't get much out of it.
>>
I never liked Native Son. It's literally "dindu nuffin" the book.

Invisible Man is really fucking good, though. Read that.
>>
Invisible Man is a genuine, no-joke classic. It is a seminal work of American literature and everyone should read it, whether it's assigned to them or not.

It will also teach you a lot about the black experience in America if you happen to be white.
>>
bump...
>>
>>7440248
>It will also teach you a lot about the black experience in America if you happen to be white.
The Bluest Eye will probably teach you more about the black experience and how white supremacy and white standards will fuck you up mentally. Invisible Man is popular with clueless white kids here who think they're just like Dostoevsky's Underground Man and are on the margins of society. Still a good book despite the audience.
>>
It's weird to me that people say "minority" or "african american" yet "white" and "nonwhite" are ok. If the definition of a minority is "nonwhite", many hispanics aren't minorities, since they're white as any European.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.