[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started reading this after reading and loving The Death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 31648[1].jpg (83 KB, 600x892) Image search: [Google]
31648[1].jpg
83 KB, 600x892
Just started reading this after reading and loving The Death of Ivan Illich because i found a physical copy in my house.

Im on chapter two and its fucking terrible. Should i continue with it?
>>
>>7439975
Maybe.

It has big ideas about the nature of humanity and our place in the cosmos as well as being a damn good political drama. The characters are all so very self-aware, almost neurotic yet there still manages to be surprises. It has central arc of a hero myth throughout the book that ties everything together nicely. But my favourite thing about Dune is that it's a good primer for the 2nd book, Dune: Messiah, which is my favourite in the series. It's completely different and I regard more of a character study. In fact, I think I'm going to read it again now.

Are you new to Sci-Fi? It's the greatest Sci-Fi ever written but I can understand if it's unpalatable to people who read Dostoyevsky and academic /lit/ instead.

You can go fuck yourself if you're a fantasy pleb though.
>>
>>7439995
I'm new to almost everything, just started reading seriously few months ago and i read some Tolstoi novellas , some camus, 1984, and a few other terrible books.

This is my first Sci-fi and so far is boring me to death. Just wanted to know if i should continue wasting my time with it or just drop it.
>>
>>7440065
Try reading Childhood's End if you haven't read any SF before.
>>
>>7440094
Yea that is way rad.
>>
>>7440065
read some Philip K Dick
>>
>>7440065
Hell, read Martian Chronicles from Bradbury, it's not precisely sci-fi but I love it.
>>
>>7439975
Personally, I find it a bit dry.
>>
>>7441155
>laughingfremen.hologram
>>
>he didn't Wolf with the Wolfe first
>>
>>7439975
The first time I read it, I was horribly bored and confused by everything. By the third read through, though, I actually understood what was happening, and could see the way the story fit together a lot better, which made the whole experience much more enjoyable.
>>
>>7439995
Fantasy is nice
>>
File: Dune.jpg (393 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Dune.jpg
393 KB, 720x480
>>7439975

If you like genre fiction and world building and can appreciate that it was influential, it's great.

If you care a modicum about decent writing, it's shit.

This goes for most scifi.
>>
I thought it was awful. I think if you're accustomed to proper literature like Tolstoy then this type of thing has nothing to offer you.
>>
>>7441682
>. I think if you're accustomed to proper literature like Tolstoy then this type of thing has nothing to offer you

Thank you, i think i will drop it then, i have Hadji Murad in my backlog too,
>>
>>7440253
I just bought it b/c I like the majical cloudz song and the plot seems tight
What am I in for?
>>
>>7441656
Absolutely this.

>>7440065
The story does get more interesting. But IIRC the writing doesn't get any better.
>>
>>7442821
IIRC, great ideas and mediocre writing. >>7441656 is not lying about sci-fi.
>>
>>7439975
It doesn't get good until almost halfway through, keep reading it
>>
>>7442878
>>7439975
plebs

>>7442852
the worsat type of plebs, self-assured when they have no right to be
>>
>>7442924
>muh literary fiction
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.