[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need books on neuroscience so I can feel justified acting selfishly.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
I need books on neuroscience so I can feel justified acting selfishly. Rationally I know there is no reason to not be entirely selfish but not everyone upstairs is on board with this idea. However a few nights ago I reached this strange equanimity after watching a program called The Brain with David Egelman on PBS. It was a relieving sensation, like having my spooks of free will and karma stripped away and leaving in place a coldly rational mind, ready to act with absolute parasitic self interest and without the interference of compassion or even resentment. I need to rekindle this flame and keep it going.
>>
>>7439220

fuck off

>Rationally I know there is no reason to not be entirely selfish

fuck this board is stupid
>>
>>7439220
Kandels Principles of Neural Science and Voet's Biochemistry.
>>
This can't be anything more than a semi-creative b8 thread.
>>
>>7439220
>I need books on neuroscience so I can feel justified acting selfishly.
What?

I don't understand you.

You understand that pro-social behaviors have been hardwired in you and you were always predisposed genetically for these, yes? Look into mirror neurons.

Also, what are you doing looking for moral justifications in nature? Look into Hume or Stirner, jackass.
>>
>>7439258
My superego is luckily crippled from garden variety autism. anything altruistic or reciprocal I do is out of convenience and nurture than anything. In fact I often regret doing something considerate if I feel it used a lot of my time/resources.
>>
>>7439272
>My superego
Stop.

>In fact I often regret doing something considerate if I feel it used a lot of my time/resources.
That isn't weird. It just sounds you need to put more forethought into your decision making, when you are in a position you must choose between being helpful to others or something else.

When you say convenience, I feel you mean social pressure. Do tell me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>7439272
>>7439239
I told you already. You don't really need much more than Kandel's if you want a good hold on neuroscience.
>>7439322
>Stop
Freud is alright family. Don't fall for the scientisim BS. He still has some worthwhile ideas.
>>
>>7439322
No, partly it is social pressure but moreover it is the first thing I am inclined to do. Also I don't exactly ever put myself out, I just cannot rationalize helping people.
>>
>>7439327
>He still has some worthwhile ideas.
Most of them aren't, doe. The id, ego and superego model included
>>
>>7439327
>>7439322
I didn't mean to allude to Freud though, I was only using the word in place of something like "communal sense"
>>
>>7439336
>it is the first thing I am inclined to do.
Maybe try to be less impulsive.

>I just cannot rationalize helping people.
You don't need to rationalize everything.

There is no rational for wanting to be happy or to be alive. These are things you are simply programmed to want.

Not that helping people is something everyone necessarily wants all the time; I'm just saying that putting a logical spin on your desires won't be a fruitful endeavor.
>>
>>7439367
There is a rationale behind acting selfishly and that rationale is evolutionary instinct. At any rate this is a slight divigation from the topic at hand. I would not want to strive for such a mindset as outlined above except the alternative is rather crippling neuroses. What I felt after feeling, not at the rational level but in a pervasive way, a lack of genuine individuality nothing mattered, least of all the past. I was just the copy of the copy of the ship, with no mind payed to its previous iterations and their doomed excursions, ready to move at last in a decisive direction.
>>
>>7439401
>There is a rationale behind acting selfishly and that rationale is evolutionary instinct.
There is no rationale. Natural selection has no purpose and does not predict. Assuming that you exist to survive and reproduce is erroneous thought. You exist because that is what your ancestors were programmed to do, and you are inclined to do so because you inherited those inclinations. But, you also inherited hindrances to your survival and reproduction. These tend to be outweighed by the "good traits", not because nature tends to equip the players better, but because nature tends to remove the less well equipped from the game.

Nature owes you nothing, and you owe it nothing.

I don't really understand the rest of your post. It sounds like you expect some kind of transcendental experience.
>>
>>7439445
i will find the reading materials that kill my ego and I will act in pure self interest from that point forward
>>
>>7439445
oh and I don't see any need to reproduce. I find reproduction useless and morally untenable.
>>
File: 1439051590544.gif (3 MB, 406x300) Image search: [Google]
1439051590544.gif
3 MB, 406x300
>>7439220

Why do you wish to act without conscience? I have yet to understand the motivation or even the expressed goal of this line of thinking.
>>
>>7441166
Cruise is such a terrible actor. I have no idea how he masked it in Magnolia.
>>
File: 1438169950395.gif (2 MB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1438169950395.gif
2 MB, 500x300
>>7441192

Yeah I'm not a fan either. Its just a pretty good gif

Edge of tomorrow was fun out of 10 though
>>
>>7441166
because how is conscience anything but an inconvenience for the individual?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.