[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone help explain this? Particularly how it is metafiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 005.jpg (520 KB, 1062x1600) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
520 KB, 1062x1600
Can someone help explain this? Particularly how it is metafiction? I am confused because I typically think of metafiction as the structuring of the narrative or text playing some unwonted role in the narrative. While a lot of weird, self-referential and metaphysical stuff happens, I am uncertain how any of it is metafictional. I certainky expected De Selby to appear at some point. Otherwise I am unsure exactly what I was meant to derive from reading this, other than the usual blurring of the lines between fantasy and reality and commentaries on questioning the efficacy of empiricism.
>>
>>7439167

You were supposed to laugh and be entertained.
>>
At Swim, Two Birds is metafictional.

And, I don't see how De Selby's commentary questions the efficacy of empiricism. There's a is a lot of quantum mumbo jumbo though, but that seems to be bad writing.
>>
>>7439167
>I am uncertain how any of it is metafictional
I think At Swim-Two-Birds might be your only man.
>>
>>7439190
>>7439191
yeah read it. I have all the stories in one volume. its quite obvious that At Swim is exemplary of metafiction
>>
>>7439168
This tbphwy
>>
>>7439168
the only funny part was the subtle reference to the particular behaviours of female bicycles. I felt itwas just uncanny and aimless on the whole. Much preferred At Swim
>>
>>7439214
then where is the premise that 'Third Policeman is metafictional' coming from
>>
>>7439234
I'm the opposite- loved Third Policeman, found At Swim a bit of a slog.
>>
>>7439267
At Swim was a slog but it had a nice pay-off I felt, whereas Third Policeman was an easier read, being both shorter and more zany but ultimately went nowhere. In its discursive ambling, It reminded me of Paul Auster's City of Glass, a novel I really hated.
>>
>>7439247
wikipedia for one. Before that, the general hullabaloo that turned me onto this author in the first place
>>
>>7439296
>Third Policeman went no where

So you just missed the fucking point of the book purposely ?
>>
>>7439427
>>7439313
Also if you're going off wikipedia's definition, the fact he interwines lengthy and detailed philosophical passages to a fictionalised author, whilst piece by piece unravels the life of this fake author to which the character may adhere his ideas, it seems to share some of the characteristics.

If youre going for a story about a story in a story, then yeah, At Swim is more so
>>
>>7439167
>Can someone help explain this?
It's about bicycles.
>Particularly how it is metafiction? I am confused because I typically think of metafiction as the structuring of the narrative or text playing some unwonted role in the narrative.

>tfw your soul rats you out

>While a lot of weird, self-referential and metaphysical stuff happens, I am uncertain how any of it is metafictional. I certainky expected De Selby to appear at some point.
Certainky you wanted The Dakley Archive then.

>Otherwise I am unsure exactly what I was meant to derive from reading this, other than the usual blurring of the lines between fantasy and reality and commentaries on questioning the efficacy of empiricism.
You need to read it again, bearing in mind it is a bicyclical commentary on purgatory, a region of time not space. Then maybe once more, depending on the friction co-efficient of your skin type.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.