[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey HPL fans, do you enjoy "regular" horror?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: hp.jpg (539 KB, 1063x657) Image search: [Google]
hp.jpg
539 KB, 1063x657
Hey HPL fans, do you enjoy "regular" horror?
>>
"yes"
>>
"yes"
>>
No. Not really.
>>
File: 1388255897762.jpg (19 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
1388255897762.jpg
19 KB, 208x210
>>7438351

>"regular horror"
>"And then a crazy psycho jumped out of nowhere and killed the character with a chainsaw. There was blood everywhere and it was scary!"
>>
>>7439153
I think ghost stories are the most regular of "regular horror". Psychos are a twentieth-century addition.
>>
once you go lovecraft you never go backcraft
>>
>>7438351

regular horror as in what? stephen king novels? if so, yes, I really liked his shorts when I read them at sixteen.

regular horror as in horror movies? if so, definitely, I love horror movies and I love trash movies.

there are many great overlooked movies, especially in niche genres like (for example) italian horror cinema, obscure gems like cementary man (which everyone should see, really) and santa sangre (jodorowski is always great of course).
>>
I like M. R. James
>>
not really sure what constitutes 'regular' horror, but i'm into david cronenberg and giallo films. don't read much horror though.
>>
I think a lot of "normal" horror fiction isn't horror per se, but more like drama or thriller with supernatural elements.
>>
>>7438351
Define "reguler" and yes I like horror of all kinds as long as it is done well.
>>
Yes, but the kinds of horror I like tend to be very similar anyways. I love oppressive horror. I love dread. The overwhelming feeling that the protagonist is completely fucked and they don't even know it yet. I like ghost stories and stories about demons. The perfect horror story is the kind that treads the line of despair, like walking along an impossibly thin cliff, knowing that at any moment you could tumble to your death, but not...yet...

And then you round the corner of the cliff face, and you've finally made it, but where you thought there would be ground, there's only a fall.
>>
The only other horror authors I've enjoyed are Stephen King and T. E. D. Klein.
>>
>>7439254
>italian horror cinema
name three (dont mention Suspiria)
>>
>>7439964
R.L. Stein
>>
>>7441458
mah nigga
>>
I don't read HPL. I read Ligotti. Better prose, better ideas, more experimental.
>>
Lovecraft is quite unique. He's so endearingly and sincerely autistic. I want to take him home like a puppy.

I read some quote mentioning how awful his dialogue is, and holy shit, it is, it's beautifully cringey. It reminds me of "bags of sand", but with regard to people conversing.
>>
>>7441792
>how awful his dialogue is
My impressions is that Lovecraft deliberately affected a pseudo-19th century style of prose. Dialogue was part of it.
>>
I wonder if enjoying horror movies correlates with enjoying horror literature. I'm not a big fan of horror movies. I mean, I like the ideas and shit but I don't enjoy beeing scared and don't think I've actually been unsettled by a horror film since I was a kid. Is it the same with books?
>>
>>7442632
there are a lot of shitty horror movies, but also some genuine classics. films like The Fly, Peeping Tom, and Repulsion are great works of cinema.
>>
>>7441524

I like Ligotti's ideas concerning horror fiction.

>To me, reading a horror story should be very much like dreaming and the more dreamlike a story is, the more it affects me. I’m not the first to say that the nightmare, not the morning newspaper is the ideal model for horror fiction. Even the supernatural element of a story is expendable. Nonetheless, what remains crucial is the sense of the supernatural, the feeling of something dreadful and marvelous beyond all analysis, a feeling that may very well be inspired by something usually considered to be "natural" such as insanity or death (...) And the sense of the supernatural is something that arises from the confrontation of a reader with a story, not something that is dependent upon a division within the story between the real and the unreal. Of course, levels of fictional reality are fine and useful, but they are not necessarily a source of horror. Once you’re trapped in a nightmare - I mean a really good nightmare - nobody has to ask you to suspend disbelief in the horror that is about to overwhelm you.
>>
>>7442632

Horror is my favorite genre, and I can't recall a time where it has ever scared or unsettled me. I just like the ideas presented within the stories.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.