[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone post the things fall apart "what i expected
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 71qLnZuj5SL.jpg (138 KB, 792x1219) Image search: [Google]
71qLnZuj5SL.jpg
138 KB, 792x1219
can someone post the things fall apart "what i expected what i got" picture with the YAMS?

thx
>>
File: TFA.jpg (134 KB, 1688x708) Image search: [Google]
TFA.jpg
134 KB, 1688x708
Got u pham
>>
>>7438391
i thot yams was invisible man
>>
>>7438391
thx bae, trying to summarize things fall apart for someone and realized this picture is all i needed
>>
>>7438494
Doing a disservice to the novel I see.
>>
>>7438536
I yam what I yam
>>
>>7438391
WHATS THE YAMS?
>>
>>7438536
>implying the novel was about anything other than yams

senpai onegai
>>
>>7438319
Is this a good book? Reading it & Heart of Darkness for my intro to lit/language class next quarter.
>>
>>7438787
Its of average prose but its a nice insight into African life and tradition written by a legit African author.

Tbh i enjoyed it.
>>
>>7438536

It was extremely mediocre and trite. Only redeeming aspect was the very end, which was, admittedly, very well executed and satisfying.
>>
>>7438815
Eh, I disagree. I probably would not call it one of the best books ever written, but it’s far from trite. Also, has anyone on /lit/ read Achebe’s other novels? Are any of them as good or better than TFA?
>>
>>7439045
I remember enjoying Anthills of the Savannah.
>>
>>7438536
The novel completely failed at its purpose 2bh. I was under the impression Okankwo was supposed to be some poor guy who had his good life taken away by the White Devil, but he was really just a fucking jackoff whom I felt no sympathy towards whatsoever.
>>
>>7439630
that's your fault, not the book's
>>
>>7438391
Same could be said for Brazil by Updike desu
>>
>>7439630
You should feel bad for him for being a product of his society
>>
>>7438787
It's a good book
The people hating on it are /pol/tards who hate anything written by black people
>inb4 WE WUZ KINGS
>>
>>7439674
No, it's the author. The character is clearly supposed to demonstrate that Imperialism is Bad through his suffering at the hands of the white man, but the guy got into a shitload of his problems through his own general prickishness and absolute refusal to change, even when his own society was evolving (even before whitey showed up to ruin everything). There really were few redeeming qualities about him and I'm really struggling to understand why Achebe thought he was the best representation of the Noble Savage theme he was trying to push.
>>
>>7439701
>The character is clearly supposed to demonstrate that Imperialism is Bad through his suffering at the hands of the white man
>he thinks this is the only thing the book is about
Holy kek I'm laughing. Try analyzing the book further next time before you talk about something you know absolutely nothing about.
>>
>>7439701
Achebe likes to point out before Okonkwo's exile how he's an awful person. He constantly beats women, he doesn't care about his son, he hates lazy people.
Do you think he would add that entire first part where there are no white people around just to have the entire message of the book be "YO FUCK DA WHITE MAN"
It's a lot more complex than imperialism is bad.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.