[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Samuel Beckett
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: o-SAMUEL-BECKETT-facebook[1].jpg (229 KB, 1536x1015) Image search: [Google]
o-SAMUEL-BECKETT-facebook[1].jpg
229 KB, 1536x1015
So after getting into his films, I want to read some of his work, but I'm pretty clueless where to start.

So /lit/, if you had to had to name three books as an intro to Beckett, which ones would they be?

Also, general discussion of his work no matter which medium is welcome of course.
>>
Just watch Waiting for Godot on Youtube and then reference it forever and wait for other people to reference it so you can wink at them ;)

Beckett is for fucking tryhard plebs
>>
>So /lit/, if you had to had to name three books as an intro to Beckett, which ones would they be?

Complete plays, Molloy, The Unnameable.

Kind of a cheat, but you really need a lot of stuff. Beckett is pretty dense sometimes so it looks weird but you get what he's doing.

Read "First Love", it's a short story but it's very representative of everything Beckett does. For plays, try Krapp's Last Tape, Godot, Endgame, Play (I really like the Minghella version). For prose, just read the trilogy, Molloy, Malone Dies and The Unnameable. Some people also like Watt. If you want to impress people, read Compagnie and tell everyone it's your favorite.
>>
>>7437100
>If you want to impress people

This is pretty much the only reason anyone reads fictional shit.
>>
>>7437130
Not everyone is as anhedonic as you anon.
>>
>>7437090
>>7437130

Who let the plebs in?
>>
>>7437134
The guy in front of you, I guess.
>>
>>7437087
Molloy. Start with Molloy. Your choice whether to continue with Malone Dies and the Unnameable, regress before or later to Murphy and Watt, or stab at his short prose. Also, watch Magee on Krapp's Last Tape if you hadn't counted that as one of his films.
>>
>>7437087
I was really surprised by Murphy. Found it a very good access point to his literary work if you already know some of his plays or films. And since you say are already a bit at home with his films I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>7437130
Is this some kind of bait? I'm not on this board for long but I refuse to believe that someone so dumb would actually be posting here
>>
>>7437691
>I'm not on this board for long
it shows
>>
I'm currently reading Watt and I'm loving it! Did anyone read it? What did you thought about it?
Also it is the first Beckett's novel that I'm reading, how does it compare to the others?
>>
>>7438020
it gets a lot weirder tbqfh
>>
>>7438055
How so?
>>
>>7438058
The unnameable is about some kind of featureless, immobile entity who is only able to speak. He might be in a jar. He can't name himself.
>>
>>7438093
I don't quite know why, but it really appels to me..
Any good essays on Beckett?
>>
File: 1428888768643.jpg (205 KB, 1665x649) Image search: [Google]
1428888768643.jpg
205 KB, 1665x649
>>7438020
>>
>>7438144
beckett and aesthetics by daniel albright is good

its more of a book tho
>>
>>7438212
keked
>>7438246
thanks
>>
>>7438288
I've found an essay by deleuze on aaaarg
>>
>>7437100
>Read "First Love"

Total pleb, here. I've read More Pricks than Kicks, too, and Beckett's style is difficult for me. How should I approach it?
>>
Why are high-level modernists and lingual virtuosos so fond of scatological stuff?
>>
>>7439577
I want to know this too
>>
>>7437216

>Second paragraph of Molloy is more than 80 pages long

I got a fear boner the first time I noticed that.
>>
>>7439577
>>7441495
transgression obv. Totally horrifying to most people (and probably disgusting to the author's themselves) which makes it ripe for any artist wanting to challenge consumers
>>
>>7439577
If there's anything virtuostic about Beckett I'd like to know. His writing comes off as the constipated shit of an autist.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.