[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me everything you know about Grendel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: who6qb.gif (174 KB, 372x270) Image search: [Google]
who6qb.gif
174 KB, 372x270
Tell me everything you know about Grendel
>>
>>7436880
The character in Beowulf or the modern novel?
>>
>>7436916
Character in Beowulf
>>
>>7436880
Hampered by the fact it was designed to fit in an AR-15 action. 6.5 Creedmoor has better ballistics all around.
>>
>>7436880
I'm not doing your homework.
>>
dindu nuffin
>>
>>7436921
Pretty standard depiction of the monstrous in medieval literature. In a time when membership in the group was vitally important, the outcast was suspicious and potentially threatening. Grendel walks along the edge of their community, he goes mad at the sound of their singing. He literally is tormented by a fundamental element of human society and social behavior: language, celebration, music. Culture in general.

I ain't no Beowulf scholar though, just took a medieval lit class last semester. That's what I remember.
>>
He represents Holden's desire to make sensual love to Phoebe in the missionary position for the purposes of procreation.
>>
>>7436880
A Grendel comes across the sky.
>>
>>7436880
A character created by Matt Wagner.
>>
Grendel's mother is more fascinating
>>
>>7436972
There is a religious undertone too: Grendel is born from 'the tribe of Cain' or something like that; and in a particularly ambiguous/debated passage he is described as rendering swords "forsworen"-- forsworn-- which people take to mean 'magically made useless'.

>>7436998
I spent quite a while studying Beowulf and the monster tradition and this is by far the most accurate answer, though I would have to question-- is it really for procreation? Does Holden want a kid with Phoebe?
>>
>>7436972
I read The Stranger after reading Grendel. Helped me see both books in a completely different way.
>>
>>7436972
Good post.
>>
>>7438075
Pretty sure he is talking about the actual Grendel, not the modern novel
>>
>>7436880
Why does he wear the mask?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.