[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much will learning French help with reading original works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: French.jpg (980 KB, 1929x2959) Image search: [Google]
French.jpg
980 KB, 1929x2959
How much will learning French help with reading original works of French authors? Obviously it would help alot because it is in its original prose, but is there a massive difference between reading a translation and reading the original?

pic semirelated
>>
>>7436152
I just recently learned to read French and read Pascal, La Rochefoucauld, and Madame de Lafayette. As far as comprehension goes, it is not very much better than English. But the flow of sound when reading French is certainly more pleasing than English, if you are into that stuff.
>>
waste of time unless you are immersed in the language and living the country day in and day out.

Your french will be too slow and clumsy to ever enjoy reading anything moderately complex. You'll end up just reading the translation instead
>>
>>7436606
shut up you pleb

anyone who has learnt a dead language can tell your entire post is bullshit
>>
>>7436606
Would going to France several times help?
>>
>>7436152
2bh until you speak the language like a native (very unlikely unless you make this a major component in your life) you're still basically gonna be translating it. Except instead of going from the original to the translator's perfect french to your perfect english, it'll go from the original to your terrible french (presumably with the assistance of the english/french dictionary you're gonna turn into a detached organ). Which sounds better?
>>
>>7436606
This is 100% not true.

If you are motivated enough you can speak better than a native. Just make sure you get pronunciation down and watch cartoons/anime in that language.

Immersion can definitely help because you're forced to use the language 24/7--though you can do that in your home--but you have to be there for several months continuously. It shouldn't be a trip thing.
>>
>>7436620
Yes.
>>7436613
That guy is wrong, but visiting the nation helps. Even then, Paris is a (semi)beautiful place that everyone should visit.
>>
>>7436629
The fact that you recommended anime makes me unsure of how much you've learned in general.
>>
itt: plebs not versed in latin or greek think you need to be able to speak a language to read it
>>
>>7436638
I haven't studied French but I used to like anime so watching anime in the language I learned was a nice way to get the flow of the language in my head. And also learning vocab/grammar
>>
>>7436625
You're wrong, it's possible to learn a language to a near-complete mastery and read with ease anything but you made a point it will takes a lot of time and a lot of dedication. I taught a bit of French and I'm still amazed when I hear people say “I'm learning French for two years and now I read Montaigne” which is—probably—a huge lie. It takes a few years to get into it and speak it, and clearly eight to ten years accordingly each person's own pace and background to attain a true, fluent level. Most French young adults can't go through a lot of titles published in verse from the 16th and 17th centuries without trouble. The amount of irregular verbs/rules, exceptions, odd or obsolete figures of speech, old grammar points and anomalies in the literary language is important and takes a lot of time to master, even when living in France (since people don't speak the way books are written and since they may not themselves show a great proficiency, immersion has its limits).

>>7436643
French subbing is often conducted by teenagers with clumsy, below average language skills, I wouldn't use this material if you're looking to improve your vocabulary and grammar, especially in order to read literature. You better stick with French movies and manuals and then move on easy classics once you're skilled enough and avoid such a poor source.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.