[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which books permanently undermined or transformed your world-view
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
Which books permanently undermined or transformed your world-view and do you like the change they made?

Picture not related
>>
Mein Kampf.
>>
>>7433891
The Brothers Karamazov along with The Bible. And yes, i like it.
>>
I should say which books most strongly made changes to you, almost all good books change your views a little
>>
>>7433891
Communist manifesto maybe.
>inb4 dworkinposter
>>
>>7433906
What changes were they
>>
The Stoics
Buddhist literature
Bhagavad Gita
Qabbalah stuff
The World as Will and Representation
>>
I'll probably be laughed at, but 1984 blew my mind in grade 9.
>>
I know not books but you can read just about any and they will mess with you a bit

Nietzsche
Zizek
Emerson
>>
>>7433922
>Bhagavad Gita
>The World as Will and Representation
interesting anon, I'm thinking of also getting these. Do you do need any reading beforehand to understand them? What did you personally get out of them?
>>
>>7433927
Hahahahahahahahaha.

Me too tho.
>>
Dialectic of Enlightenment, no, I hate the change it made.
>>
>>7433899
Agree
>>
>>7433914
Dirty commie
>>
>>7433921
I realized that i was deeply unhappy being so skeptical and that i wasn't capable of loving my family and my girlfriend.
I am a much more forgiving person now. I care a lot more about the people around me and i rely in my intuition greatly.
>>
>>7433947
meanie pants -_-
>>
The Brothers Karamazov
Fear and Trembling
Book of the New Sun
Writings of Aquinas
>>
>>7433950
>I am a much more forgiving person now.
so, a kekold?
>>
>>7433950
Sounds a worthwhile read. Is that for bros k only?
>>
>>7433891
I read the Stoics but I'm still a fuccboi with obsessive thoughts and a desire to end my life.

are there any good books that have helped someone in a similar situation?
>>
>>7433966
Only way to end suicidal thoughts+depression is to exercise daily and spend more time in nature.
>>
>>7433966
Going balls deep into mediation
>>
>>7433891
>The Bible
>Plato
>The Annals of Confucius
>Dante's Paradise
>Justine by Marquis de Sade
Not shitposting about DeSade. At the end, there is a description of the hardships of Justine's life that I find beautiful. She is struck by lightning and is finally at peace and getting the reward she deserves.
>>
Denial of death
>>
>>7433966
Years ago in /b/ I was talking about depression and someone told me to read Nietzsche. It both helped me out of depression and sparked my love for philosophy, which helped even more.
>>
>>7433965
Mostly, yes. But i also searched for the religious views of various people i admire while i was reading.
After TBK i read the bible and it was incredibly interesting. The book is really rich and you can find it a lot of material about everything that it contains. For a LoTR nerd like me, i found the bible a way to explore a similar "world" but with a lot more depth and wisdom.
>>
The Grundrisse.
>>
>>7433973
Meditation does absolutely fucking nothing for me 2bh
>>7433968
I've started weightlifting, I don't like going outside.
>>7433990
Which Nietzsche book did you start off with?
Thus spoke Zarathustra or something?
>>
>>7434010
Not him, but On the Genealogy of Morals or BGE is a good place to start.
>>
>>7434010
Probs not doing it right/enough desu friend. It's like exercise to get thin, it simply does work if correctly done and the benefits are huge
>>
>>7434010
>I don't like going outside.
Just in general or because you don't like your neighborhood? I can't imagine someone not liking being outside at all, and I'm a huge shutin.
>>
>>7434060
In general.
Everything is a pain in the ass, I just want to sleep forever senpai.
>>
reading a shitload of nietzsche and such between 15 and 25 years old made me develop ideology antenna to the point of self-sabotage to be honest.
>>
>>7433891
The Recognitions had a pretty big impact on me: made me realize how saccharine I was and how inauthentic society is. I'm much more bitter now.
>>
Good Old Neon changes everyone who reads it, right?

Also, the Stranger I guess, as it pushed me towards egocentrism-less existential cult of self, or maybe even humans as a specie, but not cosmos or anything higher. Tipping intensifies, but you know Camroose was right.
>>
>>7434065
>I just want to sleep forever senpai
IKTF
>>
Das kapitel
>>
>>7433891

Well, i've spent most of my youth without reading at all. But this year i've been encouraged by friends to start with literature, and i've spent the whole year reading all kinds of book, and it was fantastic! So, the most impacting ones for me until now were:

Animal Farm;
Captains of the Sand;
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage;
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance;
No Longer Human;
The Lord Of The Rings;
Otelo;
Candide (Voltaire);
Discourse on the Method;
The Alienist;
Wuthering Heights;

There are others, but these are the ones that i've remembered now.
>>
The Holy Bible
The Catcher In The Rye
Mere Christianity
Manufacturing Consent
>>
any books that can help me not be racist? I know i shouldnt be, but i just am..
>>
File: geb.jpg (444 KB, 600x910) Image search: [Google]
geb.jpg
444 KB, 600x910
>>7433891
pic related
>>
>>7434512
It's better to just meet likeminded people part of a group you have a prejudice for
>>
>>7433986
This

The Denial of Death is what got me interested in existentialism - it can be read as a primer on basic existentialist ideas, the conflict between freedom / safety, 'authenticity', the relation between groups / individuals and what individuals should do with their lives.

It has also made me very curious towards death. There is a part of me that wants to volunteer in a cancer ward or at a hospice just so I can rip my psychological defense mechanisms to shreds.

Also Infinite Jest got me into proper /lit/
>>
D&G in general, even though a lot probably went over my head
>>
>>7434512
Hello Reddit
>>
>>7433959
Being petty and holding grudges is effeminate and childish, not a way for a man to behave.

Infidelity is of course out of line however, though I think one should realize that if it does occur, it is largely down to ones own shortcomings as a man, lover or living partner.
>>
>>7434524
Do I have to know some complex math beforehand?
>>
>>7434647
It's basically Oprah-core, of course you don't.
>>
>>7434601
Dungeons and Gragons?
>>
>>7434647
I read it in high school, so nope. Basic understanding of infinity, limits at infinity, and you're golden. The rest that is needed is explained in the book itself
>>
>>7434653
No you doofus, Dason and Gixon.
>>
>>7433932
Not really. Get an edition with a meaty introductory session if you need to.

Bhagavad Gita helped me realize the best you can do is live life as well and as mindful of God as possible and to stay detached from the results of your actions. So instead of, say, playing a tennis match to win, you play it to play the best game you can. Paradoxically, you'll end up winning most of the time because you're not playing to feed your ego.

World as Will and Representation was interesting because it doesn't shy away from the suffering in the world, but still asserts that the only thing we can control is our inner being. With that knowledge we can transcend, or at least try to, the conditions of this life.
>>
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra got me into /lit/ and it got me into Ulisses and modern literature in general, it changed my life entirely. I liked it a lot.
>>
L' homme revolté
Brothers Karamazov
The Demons

shit's pretty powerful for 16 years old, and while I'm obviously no longer the same person I was, the books I've read afterward never had the same impact on me, while still contributing deeply in shaping my current self.
>>
>>7434690
Interesting, anon, I was kind of shying off getting Word as Will but now my interest is piqued.

Also, by 'God' do you mean a deterministic force or something similar to the judeo-christian god?
>>
File: steppenwolf.jpg (191 KB, 623x1041) Image search: [Google]
steppenwolf.jpg
191 KB, 623x1041
The four most influential for me are probably:

>Steppenwolf
>The Dharma Bums
>Blind Willow Sleeping Woman
>The Grapes of Wrath
>>
>>7434808
You sound like a very interesting and pleasant person, I'm sure you have lots of very smart friends :)
>>
>>7434813
>Can't tell if I'm being mocked because sarcasm doesn't work on the web

In any case, I don't hang out with people who are like me, in attitude or who appreciate the same things as me. Not that they're not smart, but we're all very different.
>>
Youth In Revolt when I was 12 or 13

yes I liked the change
>>
Not any one of his books in particular. His writing in general though conveys a general feeling of moral decay and monotony of life in the Western world. A world I sometimes feel trapped in.

I'm not even memeing either.
>>
Plato and Nietzsche were pretty transformative when I read them in my teenage years.
>>
Blood Meridian
Storm of Steel
The Odyssey

Gave me the inspiration to stop wasting my life and to go do something. Dropped out of college, joined the Marines. No ragrets.
>>
>>7434856
I read both recently (I'm 18) and I found neither particularly transformative. Although they both held some interesting ideas, I still feel a kind of disconnect with them, although some of Nietzsche's work gave a much more concise and well executed explanation of thoughts I previously had (mostly centred around the idea of the 'herd' and the will to power)
>>
give me a book for people that want to make lemonade but life has gave them all the ingredients and the recipe for something delicious but extremely time taking to the point i will be leaving by current best friends
>>
>>7434902
Well, you're not a man until you're about 28, so of course you don't understand it.
>>
>>7434902
If you're raised in modern Western culture, basic forms of Nietzsche and Plato's ideas permeate your society.
>>
>transformed your world-view

>1984
fucking nothing

>Homage to Catalonia
significantly changed
>>
>>7433942

Oh c'mon now. Read Adorno's dream journals. They're a good antidote. A rollercoaster of keks.

On the other hand, I quit reading minima moralia because the despair was too much.
>>
>>7434911
pls help
>>
>>7434512
Believe it or not, most people are,
>>
File: 34545624562.jpg (29 KB, 220x346) Image search: [Google]
34545624562.jpg
29 KB, 220x346
>>
The Phenomenology of Spirit literally shattered every single fixed thought I had before.
>>
In the order I encountered them in life:

The Gospel of Thomas
The World as Will and Presentation
The Epistemology of the Cyrenaic School
Context Dependence, Disagreement, and Predicates of Personal Taste
>>
>>7435341
Can you give a single example of a fixed idea you had that was shattered, and in what way?
>>
>>7434253
>Good Old Neon changes everyone who reads it, right?

yup.
Just the first part of Swann's Way I think is also enough to mellow you out some.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.