[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the main ideals found in Candide. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: IHwlf.jpg (83 KB, 1024x835) Image search: [Google]
IHwlf.jpg
83 KB, 1024x835
Tell me about the main ideals found in Candide. I don't feel like reading it.
>>
>>7431611
Tell me why I should do your homework for you?
>>
>>7431611
there is a homework board filled with people like you who want to help each other out
>>>/hm/
>>
>>7431618

I knew I should have said >inb4 le homework

I'm a college student studying everything except philosophy and this has nothing to do with homework. The semester is over now anyways it's December.
>>
File: PlebDetected.png (54 KB, 210x180) Image search: [Google]
PlebDetected.png
54 KB, 210x180
>it's a highschool kid wants /lit/ to do his homework thread
>>
>>7431611
1. Germans are pretty simple people
2. Absolute pessimism isn't ideal, but it's close to real
3. El Dorado is literally god tier
4. Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks
5. The world was a shithole, is a shit hole, and will remain a shithole
6. Best to stop giving a fuck about all that and become a farmer.
>>
>>7431651

Thanks. I think I'm going to go tend to my garden now.
>>
>>7431611
I think it can be a very fun read even if you make no attempt at pulling any meaning from it. I'd say give it a shot anyways OP, you could end up liking it.
>>
>there are people so insecure in their intelect they will do another man's homework under the misguided notion that people will assume they are intelligent.
there's a word for people like this and that word is CĂșck
>>
it is a satire, you are doing an injustice
>>
it's funny and short, do you just not like fun?
>>
>>7431748

You have low reading comprehension.
>>
>>7431752
This. I would've loved to have been left Candide as homework when I was younger. Lucky fucking nigger OP.
>>
>>7431651
I forgot to add:
7. The reason why women lose their virginity is because men have sex with them.
8. Men are really horny fuckers.
>>
>>7431755
>a child who wants an internet board to give him the gist of a 90 page novel with sparknotes available tells me I have low reading comprehension.
lmaoing at ur life
>>
>>7431851

See

>>7431624

I'm not the OP. He said it wasn't for homework since the semester is over though.
>>
>>7431651
Wtf i thought it would be filled with some great mind boggling things. Are you serious?
>>
>>7432259
Voltaire was a doofus.
>>
>>7431611
>muh earthquake in Portugal is why Gottfried is wrong
>>
File: christmas.png (380 KB, 359x425) Image search: [Google]
christmas.png
380 KB, 359x425
>>7431611
>Life hates you in an inverse proportion to how much you love it
>Don't fuck bitches when their dads are home
>Don't shoot niggers when they're chasing naked white chicks
>>
>>7432267
This x1000.
Voltaire is a fraud.
>>
>>7432361
optimism is for suckers
>>
>>7432259
Remember that we decided it was his magnus opus, not him. He wrote it only to attack Liebniz optimism and was incredibly comedical about it, many people argue that he wasn't even trying to make a point with the work, aside from the notion that this world is the best of all possible worlds.

The part that always gets me is when some dude explains why the llama's wool was red through some stupid logic. Voltaire was probably just shitposting in novella more than anything else.
>>
>>7432399
Also Cacambo's speech to the natives that were about to eat them. Or when Candide runs into cunegunde for the first time.
It's a very memorable work thats kekworthy
>>
>>7432399
>aside from the notion that this world is the best of all possible worlds.
But that's Leibniz's optimism right there.

Also Voltaire greatly misunderstood "the best of all possible worlds" via strawmanning and putting words in Leibniz's mouth via Pangloss (Leibniz's avatar in Candide).
>>
>>7432497
I haven't read Leibniz, so I'm not sure what he was strawmanning, but the work also seems to be an assault on optimism in general.
>>
Become fluent french speakers to understand every aspect of the book you absolute plebs
>>
One time, I wanted to read a short story by albert camus, and I was really tired and angry at myself for not understanding it so far, so I gave it up and looked at the wikipedia summary, and it turned out to be really clever and I know if I just slept a while and came back to it and spent some time with it I could understand it, but now it's ruined
>>
>>7431611
life's a bitch then you die.
>>
File: life.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
life.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>7431611
It's literally Voltaire reading some Leibniz, hearing his claim about us existing in the best of all possible worlds, and laughing his ass off for a hundred pages.

It's less an attack on Leibniz and more an attack on the people that misinterpret Leibniz (the people that will hear "you live in the best possible world" and immediately rebuff you because they aren't constantly having sex and eating cheesecake. It's Voltaire's satirical way of saying that there's more to perfection than our conception of "goodness", that living in a perfect world does not spare you from suffering.

Most people don't get past the initial satirical banter and think Voltaire actually disliked Leibniz
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.