[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extended Universes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: q.png (414 KB, 519x417) Image search: [Google]
q.png
414 KB, 519x417
When writing a novel and throwing ideas around, do you guys ever have to fight the urge to make a sort of "Extended Universe" for the novel, i.e., wanting to write full stories involving characters other than the protagonist that are well outside the original scope of your novel?

In general, I suppose EUs aren't bad, but most of the time they feel less genuine than the original tale and seem prone to becoming stale.
>>
I extended my universe into your mom while she seemed prone
>>
i just write whatever i feel like and cut the extraneous bits. they strengthen the main story by way of making you informed of the depth that isn't going to make it in the final cut.

also stop calling it expanded universe you genre pleb
>>
>>7431421
>expanded universe
>expanded
>>
>>7431407
I always set me stories in one of the three "universes" I have. There are certain characters and places that are unique to them. So are topics and rules.
That being said, I don't write fantasy/sci-fi/genre shit.
>>
YES.
I had the idea to write timelines or short stories of everyone, even the most boring people in my setting. Maybe a window-cleaner, a janitor, or a cashier, it doesn't matter. Eventually they would cross paths and interact with other characters which would in turn develop other peoples' timelines.

Eventually one of these narratives would be enjoyable to read.
>>
>>7431430
whatever term it is
>>
>>7431432
then what do you write, anon?
>>
but remember everything pulls on your interest

the more work you put in into building the outside the less you have for the inside

if we had all the time in the world to furnish everything we would
>>
>>7431450
Fiction with an attempt to map out the psychology of my characters. I want to tell how they perceive their world and why they act the way they act.
>>
>>7431458
I like that idea, its somewhat similar to a concept I had long ago that I abandoned.

Currently, I'm writing about a protagonist who is borderline autistic because she grew up only interacting with her austere, adopted mother following the murdering of her parents.
>>
File: Spreepark-ls-1-2.jpg (372 KB, 1344x693) Image search: [Google]
Spreepark-ls-1-2.jpg
372 KB, 1344x693
>>7431466
I am currently writing about a painter who is painting a picture of an abandoned amusement park. He has the whole park internalized that it becomes a new world inside of him. It has become his very core. He is afraid of the idea the park exists on the outside as well because he wants this world just for himself.
>>
>>7431475
2deep4me
>>
>>7431486
Every single one of the short chapters is written as a description of a painting. :^)
>>
>>7431475
i would read this
>>
i tend to jump from place to place within the storys universe and observe what transpires for the readers benefit. hard for me to write a long coherent story this way, but tends to give a wider breadth for fleshing out a world. its also good practice. works best if youre a depressed loser who world buildings in his sleep to escape life
>>
>>7431502
>world buildings in his sleep to escape life
Don't worry anon, I do this all the time. I used to daydream about reality, but then I realized how much that contributes to anxiety

I typically set apart time during the day to just daydream about worldbuilding while dozing.
>>
>>7431501
Also, he meets a girl who can walk into dreams. This doesn't end well for him since he's not the kind of person for a great relationship. She fucks him up by messing with his dreams.
>>
>>7431513
>Also, he meets a girl who can walk into dreams.

scott pilgrim fanfiction confirmed
>>
>>7431522
I don't know who that is.
>>
>>7431528
bullshit
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.