[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he skips the introduction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: laughing_girls.png (477 KB, 560x500) Image search: [Google]
laughing_girls.png
477 KB, 560x500
>he skips the introduction
>>
>>7430710
The introduction to mein kampf was about 30 pages of the guy going on about how bad a writer hitler was and how hard it was to translate something written so poorly.

I didn't even fucking read the book.
>>
>>7430734
Which translation was that?

I can never remember which one was the contemporary Englishman (Murphy?) and which is the generally recommended one (well, by right wing dudes).
>>
I'm not reading some fag not related to actual writers, probably a lit posting non steam fag
>>
I'd read them but I'm afraid of them containing spoilers. It's happened.
>>
>>7430710

>he hasn't already learnt of the plot prior to even reading the book due to literary discussion with patrician friends
>he doesn't then read the book and THEN the introduction in order to formulate his own ideas on the book rather than latching on to the academic's views
>he doesn't then finish off his University of Oxford* essays

*Harvard also acceptable, Cambridge no
>>
Often times the introduction for works of fiction have spoilers, and damage the freshness of the work with analysis.
>>
I only read introduction to non-fiction books.
>>
>>7430805
>>7430770
this. I read intros for nonfix, but I'd rather not constantly be waiting for what I know will happen next because the introduction gave a very thurough outline. also like to reach my own conclusions before I hear those of others. If I liked the book, I generally read the intro after I finish it.
>>
>>7430734
I never understood all the hate for Hitler
he seemed pretty reasonable to me
>>
>>7430784
cambridge no?
>>
>>7430742
>Implying Hitler was right wing. Shaking my head family.
>>
Most introductions are complete shit. If anything, read them after you finish the book. Half the time they write it as if you've already read the book once.
>>
>>7430742
The big red one I got off the shelf a decade ago in highschool.

I don't remember.
>>
>not reading the introductions until after

This is the way to go. If you care about spoilers, you will avoid them this way. Lots of intros tend to be analytical too so I prefer to read the work as is first and form my own opinions instead of going in with someone else's preconceptions.
>>
>>7431354
If you care about spoilers, you're a pleb

If an academic is writting an introduction to a work, their views are not preconceptions. They're obviously already familiar with the work. If you can't still form your own opinions after reading criticism from about a work you must be weak-minded.
>>
I skip the part about the text and read it after
>>
>>7431373
ok
>>
>>7430784
>implying Oxford english students actually read the primary texts
Shaking my head
>>
>>7431373
yeah this is very true if you're an english major, but I read because I enjoy it, not because it's academic
>>
>>7431373
>you shouldn't be enjoying literature
>>
>>7432090
>>7431969
>my way of enjoyment is the only true way because i cannot entertain the thought some people are different from me

wanna know how i know you're both plebs
>>
File: 124987298732.png (13 KB, 358x66) Image search: [Google]
124987298732.png
13 KB, 358x66
>>7432097
>enjoys something by not enjoying it
>>
>>7432108
>literally unable to conceive of someone enjoying something in a way you don't

this is honestly not even pure ideology tier, you've literally didn't experience individuation as a child
>>
File: 1427025579281.jpg (16 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1427025579281.jpg
16 KB, 225x225
>>7432123
>you've literally didn't experience
>>
>>7432147
>doesn't know about english aorist tense

pleb
>>
>>7432123
How does individuation have to with this in the slightest?
Spotted the pseud
>>
>>7432123
>tfw u r reminded many ppl on 4chan have poor mental hygiene
>>
>>7432157
the unindividuated literally cannot conceive of people different from themselves, try harder.
>>
>>7432123
>you've literally didn't experience individuation as a child

yeah and you've literally want to fuck your mom
>>
>>7432166
Everyone is individuated
Kill yourself
>>
>>7432166
Please be bait
>>
File: sigmundjung.jpg (61 KB, 286x336) Image search: [Google]
sigmundjung.jpg
61 KB, 286x336
>>7432174
>>7432171
>>7432168

you people are such plebs s m d h
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 600x600
>>7432183
>too stupid/too much of a pussy to read a book unless he can read the intro because new ideas are hard/scary
>calls others pleb
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.