[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm interested in becoming a successful writer and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 1442571952287.jpg (816 KB, 3021x2266) Image search: [Google]
1442571952287.jpg
816 KB, 3021x2266
I'm interested in becoming a successful writer and I've heard that most of them are polyglots.

At CC atm, but headed to UT Austin in the spring. I took Spanish in high school, but want to learn a language that will force me to think about language in different ways.

I'm leaning toward German rn.
>>
ITT: OP and me
>>
>>7429823
Sort of cart before the horse here. You learn other languages so you can read other languages, not as some hack to better writing
>>
>>7429823
learn latin or ancient greek. it will definitely change the way you think about language and will expand your vocabulary
>>
>>7429851
Well I wasn't thinking of it in terms of a 'hack'. I was thinking that other, non-English languages are different enough to cause me to think differently about language/communication/etc.
>>
>>7429856
Book/vid recs for self-studying Latin?
>>
>>7429851
don't listen to him, you can learn languages for whatever reason you want, and anything involving language will make you a better writer.

for writers, french and german are both great choices. however, it seems that you are a bit of an amateur when it comes to learning new languages, so i'd recommend french over german just because it's easier.
also, you said you have experience with spanish. spanish is also a good language to learn for it's literature.
>>
>>7429862
Is French really easier than German? I took German for four years in high school and at least in the beginning, it was pretty easy. I'm starting French in a few weeks and it looks hard as balls.
>>
>>7429823
Koine greek m8
>>
>>7429860
textkit.com
>>
>>7429869
in the opinions of most people (including mine) french is way easier to learn than german for english speakers
>>
>>7429860
Wheelock is the most common, but I used Yale's Learn to Read Latin for undergrad. The workbook that comes with it is fantastic. However, not having a tutor/teacher to help you with translations will make learning Latin ridiculously difficult.
>>
>>7429884
Really? Interesting. You'd think German would be easier since both are Germanic languages. What is it about French that makes it easier?
>>
>>7429914
well french was the official language of england for a while so a lot of english words come from french. plus, french is simpler in grammar than german.
>>
>>7429875
>>7429888
Thank you both.
>>
>>7429862
I agree, I only question his mindset. It is harmful for a teenager to already be taking such a technical approach to writing. The polyglots he mentioned were all motivated by reading, a passion to read the great works of that language.
>>
>>7429919
>French is simpler in grammar than German
God, I hope so. I've been brushing up on my German recently and the grammar is what's really been giving me headaches.
>>
>>7429937
not necessarily, as long as he's reading and writing then he's good
>>
>>7429857
>I was thinking that other, non-English languages are different enough to cause me to think differently about language/communication/etc.

I know what you mean, but German won't get you this. You'll have to learn a spoken language that is vastly different from English, such as Arabic, Chinese, Turkish, etc. If you want to learn some really mind-blowing ways of talking about the world learn something like Blackfoot.

Learning a sign language is better yet, because it requires a complete reconfiguration of thought and communication.
>>
>>7429919
>French is simpler in grammar than German

What? Hell, no.
>>
I'm at UT Austin right now. Join my budding combination book club, literary society and critique workshop.
>>
>>7429823
>I'm interested in becoming a successful writer
How interested are you in writing? Go read the New Yorker's best 20 under 40 list and ask yourself how many of those people you've heard of. You aren't going to become famous, there is virtually no path to "success" that involves making more money than your average dentist or tax attorney and becoming a highly respected intellectual celebrity. Write if you like writing, but don't write to become a writer.
>>
>>7431583
Not OP but I'll join your book club anon :3 do you have a facebook group or something?
>>
>>7432057
Hmm, I didn't say I wanted to be a celebrity. It'd be nice to make a decent living writing and possibly gain some recognition for what I write, assuming that I've earned the recognition.
>>
>>7431564
The grammar that will let you understand basic literature is easier in french.
>>
>>7432101
Are you a UT student or at least in Austin?
>>
>>7432112
what do you have to say?
>>
>>7432161
Yeah I go to UT
>>
>>7431583
>>7432101
>>7432161
>>7432198
Same
>>
>>7432198
It's not really a club I just have a couple friends and we read and write things and show each other. When I said budding I meant that it has yet to come to fruition.
>>
>>7432203
Aight well if you lads ever go public I'd be game, pretty sure quite a few people would be interested.
>>
>>7432112
Yeah, that's not how this works unless you write inspirational self-help books for middle age suburban moms.

Go to school. Get a degree that will feed you. Think about what you're going to write when you get home. Write every day. Repeat until you don't have a pile of shit (disclaimer: this step may never happen).
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.