[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I learn to read faster and better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: PynchonYearbook.jpg (12 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
PynchonYearbook.jpg
12 KB, 220x330
How can I learn to read faster and better?
>>
bump i need this
>>
>>7429384
>>7429432
stop subvocalizing ;)
>>
>>7429454

this and read more you fag
>>
>>7429462
this and stop subvocalizing you friend
>>
>>7429469
>>7429454
>you must gulp, don't sip
Reading literature isn't chugging beer at a frat party.
>>
>>7429565
>pretending his mental handicap is a virtue

we /r9k/ now?
>>
>>7429565
>not eating french fries
we /cgl/ now?
>>
>board dedicated to reading
>isn't even good at it
?
>>
I just wouldn't worry about it unless it's really bothering you.
Faster will never equal better when it comes to comprehension.
>>
Not OP, but I also read quite slowly and would like to learn to read faster.

>>7429901
But does faster equal worse comprehension?
>>7429454
How do I stop subvocalizing? I definitely do this and it slows me down, since I'm basically reading at the same speed that I'm speaking in my head.
>>
Why is subvocalizing a bad thing? I do this and i think it really increses the experience. I don't care about reading the book as fast as posible to cross it off my list, i actually want to enjoy the story.
>>
>>7430022

Just speak faster in your head. If what you're reading isn't complex, you'll still understand it well.
>>
>>7429901
I trained myself to read faster by just subvocalizing "1-2-3-4" in my head over and over again while reading." Before, I read everything at my normal talking speed.

Strangely as I have read more, I started subvocalizing again, it's just really really really fast.
>>
>>7429384
I would like to introduce a different view:

"It is not for nothing that one has been a philologist, perhaps one is a philologist still, that is to say, a teacher of slow reading."

From Nietzsche's Daybreak
>>
>>7430162
It isn't, subvocalization is incredibly important to understanding what you're reading and basically impossible to suppress.
>>
I'm borderline dyslexic and find reading with an audio book quite helpful
>>
>>7430277
Lol no. Imagining writing out the text yourself is more important for comprehension. Books aren't meant to be listened to.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.