[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard would it be for someone with little previous philosophical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Thus+Spoke+Zarathustra.jpg (289 KB, 958x1500) Image search: [Google]
Thus+Spoke+Zarathustra.jpg
289 KB, 958x1500
How hard would it be for someone with little previous philosophical reading experience to read this? Is it easy to understand? Is there anything in it that can be applied to self improvement?
>>
>>7424896
You could definitely pick up on the more obvious points, but you would definitely miss out. If you can read it German, you should.
>>
read it and find out
>>
>>7424896
You'll find the prose a bit troubling initially. I recommend the audiobook if you're into that. I suggest you read BGE first. It makes for easier reading and is more aphoristic, therefore memorable.
>>
Without ANY knowledge on the history of philosophy you won't get too much out of it.
>>
>>7424896
You will have an extremely hard time after the prologue. Read his Gay Science and Human All too Human first; Beyond Good and Evil is actually a commentary on Zarathustra.

You might want to read some Plato and New Testament to see who his enemies are, Homer and Heraclitus to see his allies

It will greatly help with self-improvement
>>
>>7424896
You have to start with the Greeks. Nietzsche and other Germans of his day idolized them.
>>
>>7424935
And every other cultures European since the Renaissance
>>
You have to start somewhere.
>>
start beyond your mere mortal 'perceptions'
>>
NEVER start with Zarathustra. Read the genealogy and/or beyond good and evil first!

And yes the book is all about self-improvement. Zarathustra will teach you the Ubermench. But you must be ready for it first.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.