[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you all think of this statement Stephen King makes:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1442212777706.jpg (258 KB, 1234x857) Image search: [Google]
1442212777706.jpg
258 KB, 1234x857
What do you all think of this statement Stephen King makes:

>"People will say, 'Do you keep a notebook?' and the answer is I think a writer's notebook is the best way in the world to immortalize bad ideas."

It's the second answer in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhOd65gGoY
>>
>>7424314
Never much cared for the pulpiness of King, but I always really dug his creative prowess. Interesting points of advice, my big takeaway is 'do, and do often'
>>
>>7424314

I think he didn't answer the fucking question. Does he keep a notebook or not?
>>
No need for him to keep a notebook when all his shitty ideas just end up in a book. Editing also seems like something he can do without.
>>
>>7424365
It's like he yearns to be quoted.
>>
Its actually not a bad idea. If you wrote down all your ideas at least 80% of them you'd come back to an a later date and find to be absurd.
>>
>>7424882
And what of those 20 percent that were okay?
>>
>>7424314
Great writers notebook are very much loved by scholars

>Kafka's Jounals
>Woolf's Jounals
>Kierkegaard's Jounals
>Wittgenstein's Jounals
etc
>>
>>7424314
i wouldnt take any advice from this crackpot. i mean look at him
>>
>>7424907
Delete them because they're your fetishes or something that you saw yesterday and were overwhelmed by a childish desire to shoehorn it into your work. Ideas that are good enough to be put to some use will usually come to you in the small hours of the morning as you're bitterly crawling into bed, and you'll still remember them when you wake up in the morning.
>>
>>7424314
What's the context behind the picture?
>>
>>7424907
Those 20% you probably knew were great from the get go and would have made sure to use in a story while they were fresh in your mind.
>>
it is good advice for him, or any similar writer, whose process is: Get idea, go to town, write for months not knowing where its going.

Doesn't apply for anyone else.

If you want to keep a notebook, keep a fahkin notebook.
>>
>>7424314
I don't see the big deal about stephen king. His character development is awful. I never believed any of his dialogue. And the only fan of him I know in person is the same way: completely oblivious to what's going on with humans outside his play pretend universe of delusions and half finished characters.
>>
>>7424314
>>"People will say, 'Do you keep a notebook?' and the answer is I think a writer's notebook is the best way in the world to immortalize bad ideas.
pretty good quote anon!
>>
>>7425377
Cujo, tho.

>>7424365
I believe that was a 'no'
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.