[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Witty really deserve all the aclaim hes given? The Tractatus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: ludwig_wittgenstein.jpg (46 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
ludwig_wittgenstein.jpg
46 KB, 460x460
Does Witty really deserve all the aclaim hes given? The Tractatus was pretty far off base in its assumptions and conclusions, logical atomism was even admitted by later Wittgenstein as garbage. And his later theory of the familiar relationship of words really wasnt a very useful point, he was really just barely touching on the type of logical relationships proposed much more clearly by Peirce almost a century before him. This is without even getting into why bounding philosphy to language meanings is foolish as hell.

I feel like the fact that hes handsome and serious as hell in all his photos, some of the very brazen things he says claims, and his life story attract people to him more than they would if he didnt have these traits.
>>
>muh language
>>
>Namessake of work is the first work of a Pantheistic Monist
>Subject matter is to prove logic is discretely divisible
Its kind of insulting really
>>
Most of the useful material I derived from Witty was in his notes, the Blue Book and Brown Book.
>>
It's part of the 'analytic' mindset where they really want to make the rest of renounce philosophy. Witty tried to do this by saying philosophy is just people using words incorrectly and all the major questions and accomplishments are just mirages. Before that we had "mai fixed definitions". The idea that Wittgenstein is the most important philosopher of the 21st century, or even that he "ended philosophy" is top kek. OP is correct, the Tractus is objectivily wrong in it's core conclusion.

>This is without even getting into why bounding philosphy to language meanings is foolish as hell

This too.
>>
>Does Witty really deserve all the aclaim hes given?
Yes. Whether one agrees or not with the TLP or the PI, both are remarkable works not only because the are set to answer problems no one thought before, but because he also gave answer to them that encompass a whole philosophical system that extends to multiple fields.
>>
>>7422014
>This is without even getting into why bounding philosphy to language meanings is foolish as hell.

Why?
>>
>>7422014

but he's right that philosophy is all just language games. we're confined into our thinking by our language. also judging a man off of a work he later himself discredited is rather simple, isn't it?
>>
>as hell
>twice
Why
>>
Because of the way he looks, he has obscure philosophical positions and because of his life story.

He appears to be a "mad genius" who solved philosophy, everybody on /lit/ secretly wants to be like him so that's why they admire him.
>>
>>7423103
I thought everyone on /lit/ wanted to be Pynchon doe.
>>
>>7423476
I want to be Nabokov
>>
>>7423491
I want to be Stirner.

Intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>7423492
I wish to be the little girl.
>>
>>7422014
The status of Wittgenstein in analytic philosophy is so strange. He really is a sort of religious figure. There are other giants that people can't stop talking about, but no one 'treats' someone like Lewis or Davidson with the same sort of reverence. People quote Wittgenstein or even just allude to him in the way that the Scholastics did Aristotle, as a way to give a position authority without argument, and interpretation of his works is closer to scriptural exegesis than ordinary academic-journal-style criticism.
>>
>>7422014
>The Tractatus was pretty far off base in its assumptions and conclusions, logical atomism was even admitted by later Wittgenstein as garbage
i'm not sure someone who understands why he's acclaimed would post this
>>
>>7423103
>>7423476
>>7423491
>>7423492
i'd be any 2bh
>>
>>7423103
>secretly
I want to be like Wittgenstein.
Not a secret m8.
>>
>>7423496
shit aint funny keep it on tg
>>
>>7423103
>everybody on /lit/ secretly wants to be like him
Gay?
>>
You guys need to stop referring to him as 'Witty' because it makes you look like massive first year tools.

There is no 'w' sound in his name.

vitgunshtien not wittginstine

You plebeians.
>>
>>7426327
i'll call him vitty from now on senpai
>>
>>7426376
It's pronounced sempai not senpai.
>>
>>7423492
>wanting to be a literal cückold
>>
>>7426422
>implying c.uckoldry is a bad thing
>>
Wittgenstein's life story is interesting, but it doesn't serve as anything more than an interesting tidbit of trivia. What matters are the ideas.
>>
>>7426327
You're so retarded it hurts.
(yoo-er soo ree-tar-ded it hur-ts)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.