[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How has literature changed your life (if it has)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 1404075643685.jpg (301 KB, 656x788) Image search: [Google]
1404075643685.jpg
301 KB, 656x788
How has literature changed your life (if it has)?
>>
>>7422000
it got me through many nights of imprisonment without committing suicide, it gave me insight into a world of those who were dead long before me but had experienced everything i had. it prepared me for nothing, yet made me aware of everything. it breathed life into me unlike any other art form in existence. all in all, eh.
>>
it's made me infinitely more empathetic
>>
Helped me realize how beautiful life can be
>>
It has made me humble in the Socratic sense; more hedonistic in the Epicurean sense. Death is coming to me, but it is Death and that is all.
>>
>>7422011
>it got me through many nights of imprisonment without committing suicide
you been in prison, senpai?
>>
File: 1442076929698.jpg (37 KB, 600x932) Image search: [Google]
1442076929698.jpg
37 KB, 600x932
>>7422000
Stoic and buddhist books have me a little less of a whiny bitch, so had the Old Man and the Sea.

I'm still a hateful and spiteful person so the whole 'love everyone despite their faults' is never going to be for me but I can appreciate other aspects of buddhism and stoicism.
>>
File: merry shitscram.png (228 KB, 540x235) Image search: [Google]
merry shitscram.png
228 KB, 540x235
Learning the craft of writing is the whole point of my existence.
>>
>>7422034
i have, yes.
>>
>>7422071
how long for? what did you do? If you're on 4chan you must be at least relatively well-adjusted.
>>
Has been a good way to ignore the fact that I'm a jobless loser with no friends or direction.
>>
>>7422000

It has helped me appreciate life and art more, as well as mitigate a sense of crippling loneliness and impending disaster.

So all in all, time well spent.
>>
>>7422080
i've spent about a year inside, and another year in various other institutions. I got caught with a few ounces of bud and the guy driving drove off, it was my car and they picked me up about a month later. I didn't rat, so i sat in for a year. inside i read Dumas, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Joyce, hell, i read 2/3rds of the divine comedy in there. it was the only thing i could do. read everything i could get my hands on. that was when i realized my passion was literature, actually, so i guess there's good mixed in with the bad of being beaten up on occasion for being austistic as fuck.
>>
>>7422023
>>7422029
These. Though stoner alone can do that tbqh. I'd say in general literature has, whether I'm aware of it or not, added to my worldview without radically altering it.
>>
File: 1409696392869.jpg (45 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1409696392869.jpg
45 KB, 645x773
>>7422100
>you get to read what you want and have all the time in the world to do it

Take out the other inmates or put me in a low security prison and it probably wouldn't even be a punishment. Sounds pretty good actually tbqh.
>>
>>7422129
it oddly was, during the more peaceful moments. though that was back before i had worries in the real world. it's fine if you're already a hermit or fairly anti-social, but if you have loved ones that you worry about, or a significant other, it can be some of the worst torture imaginable. Hell is other people.
>>
>>7422138
>Hell is other people.

Another blatant misinterpretation of Sartre.
>>
>>7422144
who?
>>
>>7422144
Words can be used in a range of ways. You are a sad person.
>>
It made me a depressed misanthrope, and now I waste hours of my life posting on 4chan
>>
>>7422149
>You are a sad person.

Irrelevant.
>>
>>7422100

Holy shit, that sounds better than my life at the minute.
>>
By reading I am able to expand my knowledge and understanding of various /lit/ meme that involve obscure works of literature
>>
i also read beowulf, paradise lost, an abridged don quixote, and a tale of two cities. it's amazing how much of your concentration can go to a book when you're stuck with only that. I remember reading the count of monte cristo in a single cell during intake, and when i came out, i spoke in an accent and barely anyone could understand me. it was pretty weird.
>>
>>7422155
>not making you into you a happy ubermensch
doing it wrong tbqh
>>
File: 1403283888660.jpg (14 KB, 249x242) Image search: [Google]
1403283888660.jpg
14 KB, 249x242
>>7422169
>/lit/ memes
>related to obscure works of literature
>>
I am a much improved writer, student and thinker. I'm happier in some ways yet sadder in others. I have a deeper appreciation for art and beauty, and I'm more self-aware than I've been in my life.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.