[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mind has been absolutely butchered by TV, Internet, and vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: stark face.png (755 KB, 827x841) Image search: [Google]
stark face.png
755 KB, 827x841
My mind has been absolutely butchered by TV, Internet, and vidya so I'm unable to actually read a book without getting bored and just end up blankly staring at the page lost in thought.

I've begun listening to the audiobook as I read and it really helps to keep me focused. Is there something inherently wrong with doing this? Am I not going to get the full experience out of a book by listening to audiobooks?
>>
>>7419178
It's totally fine. Better than nothing. Literature will wreck tv and vidya for you though.
>>
>>7419182
I wish. I didn't have mass entertainment as a kid and I'd do nothing but read constantly all day. After I got a computer that all changed and I've been unable to read well since. I've gotten through a few books but It's always a struggle.
>>
>>7419178
Audio books may make it a bit harder for you to take notes on a piece of literature.
>>
File: akousmatikoi.jpg (51 KB, 340x422) Image search: [Google]
akousmatikoi.jpg
51 KB, 340x422
Listening and reading use two different parts of the brain for their functioning

Listening can increase short attention spans imo tbqh senpai
>>
>>7419182

happened to me.
>>
File: facebird.jpg (69 KB, 660x520) Image search: [Google]
facebird.jpg
69 KB, 660x520
>>7419206

Is that the Harry Potter girl?
>>
Meditate ten minutes a day.

It's good for you regardless of the benefits to reading.
>>
>>7419194
unplug it. or go on a long bus/train trip

>>7419216
kinda sucks, right?

>>7419206
I usually read, listen, re-read
>>
>>7419222
I can do nothing for hours. I'm good at that.
I just can't put forth the energy to actively read.
>>
I have ADHD so it's pretty hard for me to be able to just sit down and read. Yeah, audio books definitely help with that and make it easier. Though since I've started coming on /lit/ I do more reading about reading than actual reading.
>>
>>7419222
>"waste precious minutes of a day humming to ancient Hindi words because it's good for your health," said the stranger through cyberspace, in the 21st century.
>>
>>7419264
kek
>>
>>7419264
>"meditation can't be secular," said the uninformed stranger living under a 9th century rock in the 21st century
>>
>>7419263
>I have ADHD
No, what you have is an excuse.
>>
>>7419272
this. adhd is a millennial disorder.
>>
>>7419281
>>7419272
nice reddit opinion friends
>>
>>7419272
Am excuse for what? I have never used it as an excuse. I've been reading chapter books since I was 6, and reading at a college level since middle school. I was also in honors courses and newspaper club. I said it made it harder, I never said it prevented me from doing anything.
>>
File: avid.jpg (58 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
avid.jpg
58 KB, 463x325
>>7419178
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
File: ἀkουσματιkοί.jpg (26 KB, 581x364) Image search: [Google]
ἀkουσματιkοί.jpg
26 KB, 581x364
>>7419220

Nice bird
>>
>>7419178
Start with some fantasy, like Kingkiller Chronicle, books as they are, for most, an easy highly enjoyable time killer. You are just unaccustomed to read, start slowly and you'll soon be an unstoppable reader (unstoppable as you read everywhere whenever you feel it).
>>
>>7419216
>>7419224

not really. granted, i still shitpost but i have much more time to read and train my sport.

i will say that i miss talking about shows with other people.
>>
>>7419385
that's a nice bird too
>>
>>7419304
Nigger, we know this pasta by heart.
>>
>>7419850
it's good pasta desu
>>
File: 1448163141890.jpg (23 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
1448163141890.jpg
23 KB, 515x515
>>7419295
>MFW when Mountain Dew addicted Xbone playing millennial crackhead thinks he is the only one with this.

It's hard for the most of us,famalia.You keep doing what you are doing,you are on the right path.
>>
>>7419227
Proper meditation will typically be difficult to maintain without former practise. It's not the same as just sitting there.
>>
>>7419199
Not everyone takes notes you patrician wannabe.
>>
>>7420070
>my face when when
>>
File: ree.jpg (55 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ree.jpg
55 KB, 900x900
>>7419281
>>7419272
Fuck off with this meme. I have ADHD and while it's not impossible for me to read while unmedicated, my retention is shit and I have to re-read paragraphs multiple times, making reading unenjoyable and tedious.

When I finally got put on medication in high school, I finally felt like I had control over my own thoughts. Maybe I would have been partially "fixed" by being whacked with a ruler by nuns like you oldfags, but that really isn't a way foster a lifelong love of learning, is it?
>>
>>7419264
because the concept of meditation never existed in the West before colonialism.
>>
>>7419264
2015! COME ON!
>>
>>7419222
Does anyone have a guide or some literature on Meditation on-hand?
>>
>>7419222
>>7420523
Meditation is a meme, just take a walk and clear your head in nature, you don't to sit there chanting like a buddhist monk
>>
>>7420523
>go to the nearest Catholic church
>sit
>pray

you are welcome anon.
>>
>>7419178
Sounds like Money, by Martin Amis.
>>
>>7420523
https://zmm.mro.org/teachings/meditation-instructions/
>>
File: M0kc6fC.gif (2 MB, 306x240) Image search: [Google]
M0kc6fC.gif
2 MB, 306x240
I'm currently cutting down the amount of /tv/ stories I watch every week and am going to try to read more. I think the 15-30 min before bed I'm doing right now is quite mediocre. Wish me luck
>>
I used to read SF books on the bus before the bus starts but I live in France and because of the killings in Paris they now lock the doors of the bus at the station now so you have to stand in the cold until the driver arrives.
At home I read Proust, as is required by law.
>>
>>7420775
tu quoi mon pote
>>
>>7420493
I got a boner when I read the bit you wrote about the nuns
>>
>>7419271
kekerooni
>>
>>7419194
As a kid I didn't have tv or a computer really, so I just used to read or play sports. I'd play video games too but just got so much more reading done back then. In college I got a computer though and between studying and doing bullshit on the internet, very little reading's been done outside of class
>>
>>7421814
I feel like I could concentrate way better then too.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.