[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bhagavad Gita
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: bhagavadgita.jpg (35 KB, 332x475) Image search: [Google]
bhagavadgita.jpg
35 KB, 332x475
Anyone read the Bhagavad Gita?
>>
based krishna
>>
what's good entry level hindu shit?
>>
>>7418416
Yes.
>>
>>7418416
Is it just a good story or is there wisdom to be gained from it as well?
>>
>>7418487
>your soul is immortal, so don't fear death
>doing what your superiors tell you guarantees you a place in heaven
allahu krishnar
>>
>>7418487
Yes, don't mind the memers. Krishna basically says the soul is eternal, so just do the best you can with the cards you've been dealt and let the universe take care of the rest.

I found it surprisingly practical. It agrees with pretty much every other religious text I've read.
>>
Also the part where Krishna reveals his divine form is one of the most metal scenes in world literature
>>
>>7418487
Only if you surrender to Krishna.
>>
>the true spiritual hierarchy called "awliya er-Rahman (God)
>opposite to awilya esh-Shaytan (Satan)

Little word play for you guys:

>Rahman is another name for Allah

>Rama is another name for Krsna

Rahman - Rama

Also "Brahman" (impersonal, creating) as another aspect of God in Hinduism. The other two are Paramatman (Great Spirit) and Bhagavan (Personality)

>b-R-A-H-M-A-N and R a h m a n
Since the Bhagavan (Personality) is Krsna, Jesus is also the Bhagavan (Personality).

Jesus, who is the Christ, is also called Christos.

Christos in Sanskrit would translate to Krsna.

When Christians say Christ, they call on GOD. When Hindus say Krsna, they mean GOD.
Just like Krsna can mean all attractive, dark, but also
> "krsh" meaning "truth"
>" na" meaning "bliss.

Also
>Srimad Bhagavatam (3:23)
>in the nineteenth and twentieth incarnations, the Lord advented Himself as Lord Balarama and Lord Krsna in the family of Vrsni (the Yadu dynasty) and by doing so He removed the burden of the world.

Removed the burden of the world.

Interesting. Sounds kind of like what Jesus does.
>>
>>7418416

Yes. Read it.
>>
Don't read that version; it's like reading a Mormon retelling of Paradise Lost
>>
>>7418416
yes.
>>7418456
The Bhagavad Gita
>>7418838
Going to be a faggot here, it's Al-Rahman (or Ar-Rahman), it's actually pretty important to add, the same goes, for instance, for Al-Haqq ''The Truth'' is a name for God, Haqq is just ''Truth'', which could be any truth. The whole world Allah is made from Al-Lah, THE God. This doesn't really undermine your point, but it helps if you realize that a lot of the 100 names for God are simply words taken to extremes. Like saying ''The Source'' in English, instead of just source.
>>7418600
Allah(God) (he is) Krishnar?
Surely Krishahu Akbar is A: more aesthetic sounding, B: actually meaningful, C: more obvious.
>>
It wasn't that memorable to me
>>
yes, its awesome. Also, try reading the mahabarata.
>>
Yes, it's pretty dank.

*rips bong*
>>
>>7418416
Read it twice, back-to-back. Fucking love it. There is wisdom to be gained in it, just filter out the nonsense about caste.

>>7420421
I'm finding this, however, not that very engaging.
>>
>>7418416
Millions of people.
>>
The realest motherfuckin' six minutes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B4Z1PB97KY
>>
>>7418416
Yes, but avoid that version.
>>
>>7421450
Great film. great clip. sophia perennis. thats it thats all, have a nice life.
>>
>>7421450
buddhists btfo
>>
>>7418416
>thousands of pages
>not a single loo
Pretty much what I expected.
>>
>>7421450
peep this homie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEaKVOht258
>>
>>7422019
Seconded.
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
>>7418416

some hindu guy was going around college campus and asking for donations for the books, he said 20 was an average donation and while I didn't feel like giving anything I gave him 10 and got the Bhagavad as it is. Ofc it's like a 4 dollar book, maybe five or six in barnes/noble.

Haven't read it, opened it up and it looks like primitive spirituality that's been outdated by actual intelligent religions like Catholicism or Buddhism or your choice of any Abrahamic, really.

Says on the back that Emerson liked it a lot. Really not surprised.
>>
>>7424854
>>7424854
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7421450
What does Krishna say to arjun in the middle part? They just skipped over it.
Btw which version of Bhagwad Gita and mahabharata should I read? I've been wanting to do that for a long time but am confused over the best version.
>>
>>7425140
The Easwaran translation of Bhagavad Gita is touted as the best on /lit/ ,usually.
>>
>>7425151
This. Just don't read his Dhamapada translation. Also, the Bhagavad Gita is part of the Mahabharata.
>>
File: mahabharata.jpg (22 KB, 228x346) Image search: [Google]
mahabharata.jpg
22 KB, 228x346
I'm going to get this new translation for Christmas
>>
>>7425163
Oh fuck I feel embarrassed as an indian lol
Thanks
>>
>>7425163
So which version of mahabharata is good?
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
>>7425333
>>7423235
This joke was already made reddit, so unfortunately you won't get as many upvotes. :(
>>
>>7425352
SHITTING
>>
>>7425366
BOOKS
>>
Fun read, takes you to the land of myth and clumsily explains some pretty basic buddhist philosophy.

tl;dr version : Killing people is fine because souls are immortal
Nothing you do matters because all things are eventually devoured by Krishna and then later reborn, it is the way of the universe
War is the way of the world
>>
>>7419506
This, people.
>>
>>7425470
Actually that is pretty inaccurate. There is a lot in this one OP. Read it, and read it again.
>>
>>7425211
It's a terrible version desu senpai
>>
I have ops version. What's wrong with it? The commentary or the translation? If it's the latter can't I ignore that and read it anyway?
>>
>>7426803
The translation is fine. Skip the commentary, although I kind of like the Hare Krishna's doctrine.
>>
>>7418416
Didn't like that version.
> "I'll let the Gita speak for itself.
> 200 words of interpretation per line
It also breaks it up, giving the Sanskrit text of every line then his interpretation of the text. This makes the text have no flow.
>>
>>7418721
>It agrees with pretty much every other religious text I've read

Your naivete is incredible
>>
>>7418838

hare kṛiṣhṇa hare kṛiṣhṇa

kṛiṣhṇa kṛiṣhṇa hare hare

hare rāma hare rāma

rāma rāma hare hare
>>
>>7419506
>>7425523
A friend actually told me to buy that version specifically. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>7427511
It's the one the Hare Krishna's use. Prabhupadha propagated the Hare Krishna movement in America. The chanting comes from Caitanya 500 years ago (whom they say was Krishna incarnated as a perfect devotee).
>>
>>7425140
If you want a good scholarly edition the radhakrishan version is the best Anon
>>
>>7427511
It's a fine translation. Its commentary is done with a spiritual purpose, which some will say is ideologically biased, but I think it enriches it.
>>
>>7428071
Say Hare Krishna and fuck off
>>
>>7425325
There's a few complete translations I think, maybe only one. Have a look on Wikipedia. Btw it's very big.
>>
>>7428048
Got a link? I found this http://www.holybooks.com/mahabharata-all-volumes-in-12-pdf-files/
>>
>>7418416
Not yet, but last week i had a conversation with a krishna on the train. We talked about eastern philosophy and such. he then gave me this book and the book of krishna in exchange for any contribution, so i gave him 10euros. guy seemed pretty out there though, like he was high on mushrooms or something. Gonna read it once i catch up with my backlog.

He did explain that it's not necessary to read from start to finish. if that helps any of you
>>
File: 2652787119_e234670e00.jpg (135 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
2652787119_e234670e00.jpg
135 KB, 500x324
>>7429967
The Krsna book is pretty cool, great art in it anyways.
>>
You people realise the Hare Krishna's only wear their Indian clothing when preaching or chanting right? Unless they are brahmacharis studying to become teachers (young men living in the temple).
>>
File: The-Bhagavad-Gita.jpg (6 KB, 190x288) Image search: [Google]
The-Bhagavad-Gita.jpg
6 KB, 190x288
I have the Sir Edward Arnold translation, as a Gutenberg e-book. Fucking loved it, except that there are no paragraph breaks in the verses and it all runs together, which made the ryhyming parts hard to read.

I was almost done with it when I finally fucking noticed the rhyming. I felt stupid.

Opinions on the Arnold translation, though?
>>
>>7432973
Well the original language (sanskrit) probably didn't rhyme. Trying to make a translation rhyme probably results in a very inaccurate rendition.
>>
File: Universal form.jpg (335 KB, 683x487) Image search: [Google]
Universal form.jpg
335 KB, 683x487
>>7433246
It's really inconsistent and appears to adopt rhyme schemes and non-rhyming verse at random, which further confuses me when I read it.

Krishna's revealing of his ultimate form is all in rhyme, for example (see pic related).
>>
File: Universal-Form.jpg (42 KB, 305x405) Image search: [Google]
Universal-Form.jpg
42 KB, 305x405
>>7433268
Ah I see. Here is the Hare Krishna art for that part.
>>
>>7433284
That's awesome.
>>
>And lo, Krishna said unto them, "all that has been commanded to thee shall remain so, but I say unto thee that thou is not to relieve thyself in any place but of that of thy street."

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>7433288
fuck off to >>>/int/
>>
>mfw accidentally read half of Bhagvad Gita
No, I'm serous. After finding this thread I looked at the video in >>7421450 and got curious about everything that was said.So i tried to google the summary between their dialogue and kept reading here http://reluctant-messenger.com/bhagavad-gita.htm
I thought I should save it for the end after I'm done with other European philosophical stuff and read this in the end. It was a good read. Will also read it in Hindi one day.
>>
>>7433321
Me too, brudda. After I got done reading it, I read it again (see >>7421380).

What version are you reading?
>>
>>7433321
The original language is Sanskrit.
>>
>>7433325
I also posted a link. Thats the one, translated by Ramananda Prasad. Which version did you read?
(A tip for all westerners, sometimes in names like arjuna dont pronounce the "a" at the end. Same can be applied to Krishna but isn't necessary)
Now my goal is to read all philosophy starting from the Greeks up to the recent books and coming back to this again just for contrast.
Another thing for you guys, if you want to read the Mahabharat only for the story, google Amar Chitra Katha. Its in the form of good comics.
>>7433338
Of course but translation to Hindi will be better and purer since its directly derived from Sanskrit. I did learn Sanskrit from 5th-7th but its tough and impractical unless you devote hours to it every day. Forgotten most of it.
>>
>>7433352
Oh yeah, sorry, I saw that.
I'm the one reading the Sir Edward Arnold translation.
>>
>>7433352
>Amar Chitra Katha
Those actually look really cool
>>
>>7423146
I just now got back to this thread and got to look at this. wtf?

Also LSD is overrated.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.