[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you reading right now? pic related for me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12
What are you reading right now?

pic related for me
>>
File: politicalorderpoliticaldecay[1].jpg (699 KB, 1837x2756) Image search: [Google]
politicalorderpoliticaldecay[1].jpg
699 KB, 1837x2756
>>7417340
Also Borges Collected Fictions.

This book is interesting partially because he puts the final nail in Jared Diamond's environmental theories, and in that it is also basically an apology for the whole "End of History" Neocon thing.

So refreshing for a scholar to admit his faults.
>>
File: kafka.jpg (156 KB, 813x1272) Image search: [Google]
kafka.jpg
156 KB, 813x1272
Don't know what to start with, though
>>
Just finished The Fall. Now i'm reading The Trial, On the Road and 1Q84.
>>
>>7417373
Wow, that cover is fucking terrible
>>
>>7417385
Don't judge a book by its cover
>>
>>7417373
Wow, that cover is fucking terrible. Like, quite possibly the worst I've ever seen
Start with The Castle
>>
>>7417385
>>7417391
Lol that's really strange. I genuinely wasn't trying to copy you
>>
>>7417391
I've heard it was not finished. Will that be a problem in the end?
>>
>>7417395
You're right, he never finished it, but a lot of people say that where it ends makes it feel ''complete''
You be the judge
>>
File: the-emperor-of-all-maladies.jpg (27 KB, 394x600) Image search: [Google]
the-emperor-of-all-maladies.jpg
27 KB, 394x600
>>
File: 52036.jpg (64 KB, 286x475) Image search: [Google]
52036.jpg
64 KB, 286x475
Siddartha by Hesse.

It's interesting but not up to what I was expecting. Prose is good but the plot is so basic.

>Siddhartha had spent the night in his home with dancing girls and wine, had made a show of superiority before others of his standing, though he was no longer superior, had drunk a great deal of wine, and had gone to bed long after midnight, weary and yet agitated, close to tears and despair.
>For a long time he sought sleep in vain, his heart full of a misery he felt he could no longer endure, full of a nausea that coursed through him like the vile, insipid taste of the wine, like the dreary all-too-sweet music, the all-too-soft smiles of the dancers, the all-too-sweet perfume of their hair and breasts
>>
File: Q.jpg (35 KB, 326x500) Image search: [Google]
Q.jpg
35 KB, 326x500
Q by Luther Blissett

Also dipping in and out of Labor and Monopoly Capital by Harry Braverman.
>>
I finished Ulysses earlier and want to take a break from literature for the rest of the year. Maybe I'll go for something light like Old Man and the Sea or some short stories.
>>
Canetti's Auto-da-Fé (hilarious, highly recommend it), Calvino's Difficult Loves (I've only read maybe a half-dozen stories -- so far they've been nice, but nothing special) and Schopenhauer's Parerga and Paralipomena (aside from the extreme pessimism, it more or less feels like reading my own thoughts).
>>
Whenever I read Murakami I always get this strong sensation, something like "oh man. I could be reading something good right now..."
>>
>>7417426
Well it's supposed to echo the style of historical/mythical writings like our literature on the Buddha, Jesus, etc. The plot is going to be bare bones and to the point.
>>
>>7417487
"I always". So you read him quite often?
>>
>>7417487
why do you read Murakami then?
>>
File: 639055.jpg (63 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
639055.jpg
63 KB, 313x475
dis.
>>
File: 017682.jpg (111 KB, 600x761) Image search: [Google]
017682.jpg
111 KB, 600x761
>>
It's too bad part 2 was destroyed. What remains of it is pretty good.
The encounters with the general and Colonel Koshkaryov are on another level.
>>
File: images.jpg (54 KB, 661x1000) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
54 KB, 661x1000
>>
>>7417497
This place is a pip. If you say something negative about something you haven't read, it's YOU HAVEN'T READ THING?!, but if you have something negative to say about something you have read, it's WHY ARE YOU READING THING?!

>>7417496
I've read many of his books, but I'm not sure if English is your second language or you just are being annoying for the hell of it.

"Whenever I _____, I always_____" doesn't imply any frequency at all. "Whenever I travel, I always feel homesick" could mean they traveled twice in their life. It could mean every week. there is no indication one way or the other.

I guess you guys are supposed to like words and reading but I just don't see it sometimes.
>>
>>7417540
I was being a dick. I am English.

It's just the snarky attitude you gave off. I am a rare Murakami fan on this board, but I completely get the criticisms of his work, chief of which is that his books are incredibly similar. It's just that his books do something to me. He makes me feel like no other author I've read. It's almost like his works transport me somewhere unique.

They all have precocious teens (or adults that were precocious teens), cats, otherworldly happenings, jazz, The Beatles and whisky. But somehow I keep going back. After Dark was a brilliant "mood piece", for lack of a better term and his other books seem to work brilliantly as forms of escapism.

I get why it's not for everybody though.
>>
File: o idiota.jpg (504 KB, 1902x2717) Image search: [Google]
o idiota.jpg
504 KB, 1902x2717
>>7417340
This and exactly this edition.
>>
>>7417521
you know, i really love gogol, but i felt like he was meandering a bit since he didnt have a clear ending in sight. his short story the portrait was miles above, one of the greatest russian works i have ever read.
>>
File: 338798.jpg (96 KB, 306x475) Image search: [Google]
338798.jpg
96 KB, 306x475
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.