[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Articles and Authors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: ErnestHemingway.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1873) Image search: [Google]
ErnestHemingway.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1873
So most every famous writer from Hemingway to DFW got their start writing/being correspondents for literary journals or major publications.

How does one start down that path? Just write and submit your works to a bunch of different publications and hope it gets picked up? Is it even possible in our time?
>>
The modern equivalent is being a hipster whore, tweeting and sucking cock until someone lets you write awful blogposts about blockbuster movies.

Skip the corresponding, get right to the illicit gay sex, alcoholism, and blowing your brains out.
>>
>>7415779
>Just write and submit your works to a bunch of different publications and hope it gets picked up? Is it even possible in our time?

wtf do you mean is it even possible

of course it is

just send out your work you autist.
>>
>>7415787

I'm not questioning the actual process of sending your work out there.

I'm just saying how would someone these days get a written work published in something like The Atlantic. I know that specific case and others take online submissions, but thousands of people must submit shit per day and those that are actually even read and reviewed probably wouldn't get published.
>>
>>7415786

I refuse to believe this.
>>
>>7415801
there's not as many writers as you'd expect

and those that do write often know their shit and don't send anything out

and those that do send stuff out are mostly too pussy to send to the atlantic

and of those that do not many are good

if you're good you have a good chance.
>>
It seems like these days you have to either know someone in the industry, or already have a large online fanbase. There really aren't that many magazines or journals that anybody reads anymore, and there are way more people trying to write for them.
>>
>>7415916

I just find it hard to believe that there aren't a thousand jackasses sending in shit all the time.
>>
>>7415941
i can't help you with that besides pointing out that those beliefs are transparently constructed to protect your ego from rejection
>>
I've written freelance for a number of magazines and websites over the years. The pay is shit, when it isn't nonexistent, but there is some satisfaction from seeing your name in print.

It hasn't helped me publish any of my fiction so far.
>>
>>7415954

I mean I've never submitted anything......I guess I could try?

What's the best option, submit it everywhere and see what sticks? Have other anons had success getting published in a lit journal? I don't care about pay or career advancement, it would just be so fulfilling to see my name in a somewhat respected print.
>>
>>7415978
>What's the best option, submit it everywhere and see what sticks?

submit to places that publish things like what you write. if you think you'd fit in the paris review send it there, don't think about it.

>had success getting published in a lit journal?

yes
>>
>>7415941
>>7415954

the publishing-house anon says the whole industry is up to their gills in submissions. the "slush pile" is their term for it.

it does all get read, but only like a paragraph's worth if it sucks.

>>7415978
I don't think you get to do it all at once because if two places decide to pick your piece then its a huge legal clusterfuck and they will blame you and you can get blacklisted? go one at a time and wait for rejection notices before resubmitting somewhere else.

go to the archive and search around for that guy's threads, they're very informative.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.