[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
∫ 1/cabin d(cabin) = log cabin + c = houseboat If you don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10
File: 76749534[1].jpg (25 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
76749534[1].jpg
25 KB, 480x640
∫ 1/cabin d(cabin) = log cabin + c = houseboat

If you don't immediately get this joke then you should stop reading Pynchon, because he is too hard for you and you're just reading him to acquire cultural capital.
>>
It's not that complex of a joke

Anyway math humor is for autists
>>
>>7415570
>It's not that complex of a joke
Which is why you should immediately get it, like I stated. Did you read the OP? Clearly not, or at least you didn't understand it. Please read it again and then immediately delete your post, thank you
>>
anyone who has passed high school should
>>
>>7415563

political math joke: not all radicals are irrational
>>
>there are people on here right now who haven't seen Cantor's diagonalization proof for countability of the rationals
>>
Is this really the sort of thing that's in the meme books? Seems rather Reddit.
>>
>>7415563
it isn't a very good joke anyway.
>>
>>7415578
No, it was you who didnt understand his irony. He, and me, obvioulsy work at a level you are yet to attain. Please stop trying to control the damage and return to reddit or any other pleb websitr in which you can have discussions with other people of your condition
>>
>>7415600
The diagonal proof is for the cardinality of the reals
>>
>>7415607
It's actually hilarious, you just don't fully understand it
>>
>>7415563
Congratulations, you passed eleventh grade math, I guess?
>>
>>7415631
okay what am I missing?
>>
>>7415637
This srsly wtf. Calculus at that level is formula plug and chug. It's highschool tier.
>>
>>7415638
An introductory understanding of higher level mathematics, for one thing

>>7415637
Did you not or something? Again, I very clearly stated that this joke should be understood immediately. This is because it's a very easy joke, which again, I clearly implied in the OP

Forget eleventh grade, go back to the fourth grade because your reading comprehension needs some serious work. Next time, please read the thread and the OP, and make sure you understand both before posting. Thank you.
>>
>>7415631
LITERALLY CANT STOP LAUGHING ATM OMG
>>
>>7415656
What did you want from this thread?
>>
>>7415647
Please see this post >>7415656, it applies to you as well. Also please do not use abbreviations and acronyms on this board (it makes you look like a bit of an idiot). This is an imageboard, not Twitter. You have the time to compose a coherent and thoughtful sentence. Next time, do so.
>>
>>7415647
Americans believe this.
>one hour minimum of geometric analysis every night
>>
>>7415656
>higher level
>integrals
>>
if that's the kind of joke that's in pynchon i'd rather not read him anyway
>>
File: 1428348804056.jpg (66 KB, 600x409) Image search: [Google]
1428348804056.jpg
66 KB, 600x409
You've all been baited. OP is one of those anti-Pynchon shitposters trying to act as a high and mighty retard talking down to people for not 'getting' a very silly joke

If you decide to continue posting in this thread I just would like you to acknowledge the OP is bait, probably half its replies are and that you are posting in a false flag strawman thread made to slander an author and his followers by attacking a group that does not exist while making the others look silly by association
---- you have been warned ---------------------
---all posts past this point are memes--------
>>
>>7415563
This joke depends on subvocalization.
>>
>>7415563
Why is this funny though?

Its like a "philosophy joke" usually the point is just to play with the concept, its not actually a "joke"
>>
>>7415674
so... /thread?
>>
I don't get it
>>
>>7415678
It's not presented as some grand joke, it's a drugged up Nazi mathematician's bathroom stall vandalism. It is given as much attention in the book as it is as shown in the OP.

This is like flipping open For Whom The Bell Tolls, reading "Andreas was a man endowed with almost supreme patience." and going 'UHHH, WOW Hemingway, what is the point of this line? Almost supreme patience is NOT a good description.'
>>
>>7415666
To establish my intellectual superiority over the board's posters. It's a typical alpha male behavior pattern that I'm applying to the intellectual world, as I primarily work in abstract thought

>>7415670
Remember when I prefaced my statement with the phrase, "An introductory understanding"? Yeah, me too. Do you have the attention span of a goldfish or are you just illiterate?

Calculus is an introductory subject to higher level mathematics. If you do not understand calculus, then you do not have an introductory understanding of higher level mathematics. My post quite clearly still stands, and yours does not. Do not post here again, please; I am quite worried that you are going to damage the quality of the board with your misinformed opinions.
>>
>>7415563
that looks like a dick from the thumbnail.
>>
File: 1441423605043.jpg (42 KB, 495x636) Image search: [Google]
1441423605043.jpg
42 KB, 495x636
I get the last two thirds of the joke (cabin + sea = houseboat), but not the first third of the equation.

>tfw don't have good enough of a STEM background to enjoy this humor
>tfw can't understand the math/science aspects of Pynchon's writing

I'm 22. Is it too late to into math and science? Online resources for learning this stuff?
>>
>>7415613
>>7415600

there might be more than one 'diagonal proof' but the big one just establishes the existence of non-countable sets.
>>
>>7415688
log cabin (log house) on the c (sea) = house boat
>>
>>7415707
You're a little bit closer to death than you were before you started this idiotic thread. If you actually feel happy about that then you might as well be all the way there.
>>
>>7415712
>>7415688
>The first part of this joke relies on the fact that the primitive (formed when finding the antiderivative) of the function 1/x is log(x). The second part is then based on the fact that the antiderivative is actually a class of functions, requiring the inclusion of a constant of integration, usually denoted as C—something which calculus students may forget. Thus, the indefinite integral of 1/cabin is "log(cabin) + C", or "A log cabin plus the sea", i.e., "A houseboat".

It made me chuckle.
>>
>>7415727
Sorry but this explanation is incomplete. It completely ignores the fact that stating "with respect to 'cabin'" is necessary for the mathematical validity of the entire equation. If you or the source you took the explanation from didn't understand that, then neither of you understood the joke, which makes me smarter than both of you.
>>
>>7415563
>you're just reading him to acquire cultural capital.
But that's the only reason to read any book.
>>
>>7415563
op u seem like a troubled individual, maybe a legit autist

it'll be all rite friend
>>
>>7415757
Hey op

What made you go on this weird overcompensation tirade?

Exams got you feelin insecure?
>>
>>7415832
This.

This guy's posts have a different character than simple trolling, even tho trolling would be the most obvious explanation. I'd be amazed if there weren't substantial feelings motivating what he's writing on some level.
>>
>>7415850
maybe he's trolling on a whole another level, the absolute madman!
>>
How does pynchon get away with being called literary when hes cleary writing in the tradition of genre fiction?
>>
>>7415832
>>7415850
It's not overcompensating if I have no lack of intellect to make up for. This would be showboating, or perhaps bragging. I value my intelligence very much and I dislike the unintelligent. Insulting those beneath me is a great source of personal entertainment before bed.

Regarding my academics:

I am doing relatively well in my courses (I am predicting at least a 3.7 this semester, possibly better) and my exams aren't for another two weeks, so I'm sorry but your armchair psychology doesn't hold up. Are you perhaps struggling with your own classes?
>>
>>7415886
I wasn't expecting to hit the nail on the head with those suggestions. There's obviously something going on with you, though. The goal of my post was to nudge you into being a little more honest with yourself about the things bothering you and how they may be affecting your behavior.

All we're seeing is that you can grasp some math humor and have a huge ego. You're probably not a well-rounded person and you're probably overcompensating because you know it.

Either way, stay strong, bud. I hope you've got someone you can talk to.
>>
>>7415563
This to be quite honest
>>
>>7415911
Stop humoring this autist
>>
>>7415918
But anon, I'm *bored*.
>>
>>7415911
>>7415918
Fuck off Dan Schneider
>>
>>7415911
>more armchair psychology
Here's some of my own.

I like 4chan because every post is like a human Rorschach test. It is much too difficult to actually refute the many disagreeable claims one sees floating through people's minds, so almost every post generates replies wherein people craft a psychological profile of the poster they are addressing and then criticize that instead of the poster's argument (especially when they're losing said argument). This usually reveals something about the person in the process. For instance, you've told me that you value "well-roundedness" (whatever that is), and do not value math humor or ego. It shocks you that as person as intelligent and well-spoken as I am can also love himself and dislike others with such passion and skill. So be it. But do not confuse my flaws with your own. I am much aware of my own limitations and mine intellect is obviously not one of them, as this entire thread indicates.

Anyways it is time for bed. I enjoyed myself, and I enjoyed discrediting your false pity, deliberately unfalsifiable, amateur attempt at psychological profiling, and sanctimonious projections. Good evening.
>>
>>7415955
#staydeluded
>>
And with that ownage, I will, depart to my bed-chamber. *sniff sniff* What's that smell? Ahhh, the intoxicating aroma of online victory. I think I'll celebrate with a bit of intercourse. I can have that, you know. It's not hard for me. Anyway ,adieu.
>>
>>7415727
>antiderivative
>not in high school
>>
>>7415727
>hard to remember constant of integration
>>
>tfw op doesnt recognise multiple intelligences
>>
>>7415955

gadzooks

hope you feel shipshape pon the morrow and all that old chap
>>
>tfw dyscalculic

Should I even bother trying to read Pynchon
>>
>>7416620
That depends, did you skip Hemingway because you never fought in the first World War?
>>
>>7415707
I was laughing at the autism until I read this. Now I'm laughing at the troll. Thanks for brightening my night opie
>>
File: 1418354777029.jpg (130 KB, 988x488) Image search: [Google]
1418354777029.jpg
130 KB, 988x488
>earnestly read Gravity's Rainbow
>loved it
>didn't even remember there were any math jokes
>my face
>>
>>7415955
>mine intellect
shill detected
>>
>>7415563
how is this remotely funny
>>
>>7416635
Haven't read Hemingway desu
Except for some short stories though that may not have been him, I don't remember
>>
File: w2697wR.jpg (16 KB, 489x312) Image search: [Google]
w2697wR.jpg
16 KB, 489x312
>>7415955

>It shocks you that as person as intelligent and well-spoken as I am...

>as person as intelligent
>well-spoken

When typing that includes proof-reading.

>I am much aware of my own limitations and mine intellect
>mine intellect

Again, please proof-read.

>I am much aware of my own limitations...
>I am well aware of my own limitations...

I don't think you are.

You're young so I'll forgive your false ego.

Please take my advice; don't be a dickhead!

Also, just out of curiosity, do you actually by into that whole alfa-male bravado spin? You actually believe a human society works on a level as basic as beasts?
>>
>>7416729

Lol, I should follow my own advice;

>do you actually by into that whole alfa-male...
>do you actually buy into that whole alpha-male bravado...

Fix'd

But then I'm not the one claiming superior intelligence.
>>
>>7416729
Harsh but autismal
>>
>>7415670
most of the population doesn't understand integrals. Just saying
>>
Because GR is all about the math jokes and philosophy not the countercultural spirit and lust for life.
>>
>>7415715
Cantor didn't give a diagonalization proof for the rationals though you nigger. There's a separate proof that shows that the cardinality of the rationals is the same as the cardinality of the nats. That's not diagonalization in the same sense though, it's just a way of enumerating rationals.
>>
>>7415563
I Passed High School Maths: The Thread
>>
it's ln cabin
>>
>>7415563
What's with the houseboat bit?
>>
>>7416729
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mine
>>
>>7415592
wait, did anybody actually learn integration in HS?
>>
>>7417018
Did you not?
>>
>>7417060
no
>>
>>7417018
We learned integration in pre-calc which every high schooler has to take (barring mental disability or being in the remedial track).
>>
>>7417062
derivatives are pre-calc
>>
uh that integral would give you ln(cabin) +c, so the joke doesn't even work because it is completely wrong, and everyone who got it is a complete idiot.
>>
File: rdrr.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
rdrr.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
>>
File: iknowexactlywhyihavethistomato.jpg (62 KB, 1210x912) Image search: [Google]
iknowexactlywhyihavethistomato.jpg
62 KB, 1210x912
>>7417857

This is funny because it's a woman teaching maths right?
>>
File: fedora meme.png (49 KB, 836x571) Image search: [Google]
fedora meme.png
49 KB, 836x571
>Shitty log joke
>Not Hilbert Spaess
>>
>>7417807
People used to write log instead of ln.
iirc Boltzmann's tomb says S = klogW even though the formula for entropy is a natural log
>>
>>7417807
log can be used to write ln
>>
>>7418650
u wot m8
>>
>>7415886
I don't even get out of bed for anything less than 3.9. Stay plebian.
>>
>>7415712
>>tfw don't have good enough of a STEM background to enjoy this humor

>don't have enough math background to understand a shitty pun

good for you, don't need to brag about it
>>
>>7415955
you should get a PhD in 4chan
>>
>>7420267
Job opportunities: doing it for free
>>
File: 0978047100005_500X500.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0978047100005_500X500.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>7415712
oh yeah I almost forgot

https://kat.cr/apostol-calculus-vol1-2ed-1967-djvu-t9323298.html
>>
>>7418631
They actually go into some detail about this scene in that one book about math in simpsons and no, it's not because of that. Rather, it's largely due to the non-standard notation that's employed on top of it being a really nerdy pun
>>
>>7415563
I have no idea what the joke is about, and I am not reading Pynchon to begin with. But if the best he has to offer is math jokes, then either you're not reading him properly, or he is a very mediocre author that could be substituted with any acne ridden local homeless shelter center Super Smash Bros champion dude in a community college math class.
>>
>>7418631
haaaaaar de har har!
>>
>>7420292
he also does science jokes
>>
This thread was interesting, as far as bait threads go.
>>
Guys, how do I into Gravity's Rainbow? I'm more than 2/3 through and am wondering how to finish this beast of a book. I'm kind of in the mood now to read something normal, rather than wrecking my brain over some obscure dreams and hallucinations of characters whose existence I completely forgot about. Do I have to micro-dose on LSD to finish this thing?
>>
>>7420457
Step 1) Read it.
Step 2) Reread it.

done
>>
>>7420467

Why would I re-read it when I have a reading list of 40+ books that are coherent and with clear messages, rather than labyrinths, mazes, puzzles, and math jokes?
>>
>>7420473
you can read more than one book at a time.
>>
>>7420299
>>7420292
and dick jokes
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.