[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite passage of prose from any book you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: nabokov.jpg (56 KB, 500x626) Image search: [Google]
nabokov.jpg
56 KB, 500x626
What's your favorite passage of prose from any book you've read, /lit/?
>inb4 openings to Lolita or 100 years of solitude
>>
Aujourd'hui, maman est morte. Ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas.
>>
>>7414582
pleb af
>>
File: Untitled.png (51 KB, 421x565) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
51 KB, 421x565
Not sure if my favorite, but I liked it a lot.
>>
>>7414574
Fedora M. Dubstepevski

the one with the whiny Underground Dude

Cause it tells you right away, the narrator is a kek, and nothing beyond that point is anything but pseudointellectual universalized navel gazing by a guy with the intellect and emotional development of a 13 year old autist. If there was any doubt, this is why /lit/ likes it.
>>
>In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God

it's so ... divine
>>
>>7414574
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.
>>
File: 1393701289212.gif (11 KB, 516x557) Image search: [Google]
1393701289212.gif
11 KB, 516x557
>>7414582
> mfw learning French to read Camus in original
>>
>>7414651
I remember being 16
>>
File: the-go-between.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2244) Image search: [Google]
the-go-between.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2244
"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
>>
I inherited a dark wood where I seldom go. But a day will come when the dead and the living trade places. The wood will be set in motion. We are not without hope. The most serious crimes will remain unsolved in spite of the efforts of many policemen. In the same way there is somewhere in our lives a great unsolved love. I inherited a dark wood, but today I’m walking in the other wood, the light one. All the living creatures that sing, wriggle, wag, and crawl! It’s spring and the air is very strong. I have graduated from the university of oblivion and am as empty-handed as the shirt on the clothesline.
>>
>>7414605
Good shit who is this
>>
>>7414622
top crack.ass crack. pls become a meme..
>>
>>7414585
The level of hipster on this board is truly amazing. Tell me more about those Russian essayists you love that I've probably never heard of.
>>
>>7414812
Julian Barnes

That's from A History of the World in 10½ Chapters
>>
>>7414843
Camus is as entry-level as it gets. Writing the quote out in French doesn't make it any less high school-tier. If the quote was Céline or Balzac or even Sartre I wouldn't have called you out.
>>
>>7414654
Camus is gr8 fuk u big boi.
>>
In that undawned light the solid granite benches were commensurably sized and wrought to appear as the unburied caskets of children. Behind them the trees stood leafless, waiting for life but as yet coldly exposed in their differences, waiting formally arranged, like the moment of silence when one enters a party of people abruptly turned, holding their glasses at attention, a party of people all the wrong size. There, balanced upon pedestals, thrusting their own weight against the weight of time never yielded to nor beaten off but absorbed in the chipped vacancies, the weathering, the negligent unbending of white stone, waited figures of the unlaid past.
>>
If you marry, you will regret it; if you do not marry, you will also regret it; if you marry or do not marry, you will regret both; Laugh at the world’s follies, you will regret it, weep over them, you will also regret that; laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both; whether you laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it, believe her not, you will also regret that; believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both; whether you believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both. Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will also regret that; hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the sum and substance of all philosophy.

Wew. Look at that prose.
>>
>>7414854
>someone else has read that book
Noice. That last chapter, man.
>>
>>7414574
One of the best is the chapter Faith, Hope, Love from The Tin Drum.

>Once upon a time there was a musician named Meyn, and he played the trumpet too beautifully for words.
>>
>>7414640
Melville is so fucking awesome
>>
Era la hora menguada, cerca de la medianoche, cuando los vecinos gritaban agua va y arrojaban inmundicias por las ventanas, o los matones a sueldo y los salteadores acechaban a sus víctimas en la oscuridad de las calles desprovistas de alumbrado. Pero allí no había vecinos ni parecía haberlos habido nunca; todo estaba en silencio. En cuanto a eventuales ladrones y asesinos, Diego Alatriste iba precavido. Además, desde muy temprana edad había aprendido un principio básico de la vida y la supervivencia: si te empeñas, tú mismo puedes ser tan peligroso como cualquiera que se cruce en tu camino. O más.

^^ Isnt my favorite but.. A spanish quote can be good for u.

Captain Alatriste - Arturo Perez Reverte
>>
File: 0023153105.jpg (49 KB, 430x648) Image search: [Google]
0023153105.jpg
49 KB, 430x648
First time posting here. What is a good book to read about the Greek and Roman myths?

Ideally looking for some sort of compendium with commentaries on how they relate to posterior literature, philosophy or their historical/cultural significance.
>>
>>7415085
damn I'm fucking retarded
>>
>>7414574

O 1939 Tacoma Washington witch, where are you now that I am growing toward you? Once my body occupied a child’s space and doors had a large meaning to them and were almost human. Opening a door meant something in 1939 and the children used to make fun of you because you were crazy and lived by yourself in an attic across the street from where we sat in the gutter like two slum sparrows.

We were four years old.
>>
Far out on the desert to the north dustspouts rose wobbling and augered the earth and some said they'd heard of pilgrims borne aloft like dervishes in those mindless coils to be dropped broken and bleeding upon the desert again and there perhaps to watch the thing that had destroyed them lurch onward like some drunken djinn and resolve itself once more into the elements from which it sprang. Out of that whirlwind no voice spoke and the pilgrim lying in his broken bones may cry out and in his anguish he may rage, but rage at what? And if the dried and blackened shell of him is found among the sands by travelers to come yet who can discover the engine of his ruin?
>>
This is a valley of ashes – a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of ash-grey men, who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of grey cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak, and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-grey men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud, which screens their obscure operations from your sight.

It has always stuck with me, long after the rest of the book faded from my memory.
>>
>Not from Psalms or Proverbs
>>
>>7415792
Oh boy I love me some Cormac.

Personal favorite:
Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.

As the simple use of the past tense ever been used to better effect?
>>
>>7415936
Fuck *has*
>>
File: 61bahG8xTIL.jpg (65 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
61bahG8xTIL.jpg
65 KB, 333x500
–Me introduzco en sus sueños –dijo–, me introduzco en sus pensamientos más vergonzosos, estoy en cada temblor, en cada espasmo de sus almas, me meto en sus corazones, escudriño sus ideas más primarias, oteo en sus impulsos irracionales, en sus emociones inexpresables, duermo en sus pulmones durante el verano y en sus músculos durante el invierno, y todo esto lo hago sin el menor esfuerzo, sin pretenderlo, sin pedirlo ni buscarlo, sin coerción ninguna, impelido sólo por la devoción y el amor.
>>
There would seem little need for proceeding further in this history. Imagination will readily supply the meagre recital of poor Bartleby’s interment. But ere parting with the reader, let me say, that if this little narrative has sufficiently interested him, to awaken curiosity as to who Bartleby was, and what manner of life he led prior to the present narrator’s making his acquaintance, I can only reply, that in such curiosity I fully share, but am wholly unable to gratify it. Yet here I hardly know whether I should divulge one little item of rumor, which came to my ear a few months after the scrivener’s decease. Upon what basis it rested, I could never ascertain; and hence, how true it is I cannot now tell. But inasmuch as this vague report has not been without a certain strange suggestive interest to me, however sad, it may prove the same with some others; and so I will briefly mention it. The report was this: that Bartleby had been a subordinate clerk in the Dead Letter Office at Washington, from which he had been suddenly removed by a change in the administration. When I think over this rumor, I cannot adequately express the emotions which seize me. Dead letters! does it not sound like dead men? Conceive a man by nature and misfortune prone to a pallid hopelessness, can any business seem more fitted to heighten it than that of continually handling these dead letters and assorting them for the flames? For by the cart-load they are annually burned. Sometimes from out the folded paper the pale clerk takes a ring:—the finger it was meant for, perhaps, moulders in the grave; a bank-note sent in swiftest charity:—he whom it would relieve, nor eats nor hungers any more; pardon for those who died despairing; hope for those who died unhoping; good tidings for those who died stifled by unrelieved calamities. On errands of life, these letters speed to death.
Ah Bartleby! Ah humanity!
>>
File: hammock_life.jpg (29 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
hammock_life.jpg
29 KB, 300x199
>I perceived that I was hungry, and prepared to clamber out of the hammock which, very politely anticipating my intention, twisted round and deposited me upon the floor.
>>
File: nabok.jpg (32 KB, 628x122) Image search: [Google]
nabok.jpg
32 KB, 628x122
>>7414574
Pic related, I nearly cried.

Also...
>“I know you’re almost forty, look almost thirty, think you’re just over twenty and act as though you’re barely ten.” ― Andrzej Sapkowski, Blood of Elves
>>
>>7415102
What book is this?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.