[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wayrt (what are you reading today)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: purity-franzen-650.jpg (37 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
purity-franzen-650.jpg
37 KB, 650x400
hey /lit/

im curious to see what you guys are currently reading. behind /fa/ and /mu/ this is my most visited board (probably my favorite actually) but it seems there isnt much attention paid to what were currently reading, so lets hear it. pic related for me, first Franzen book, bout 150 pages in and digging it so far
>>
>>7414431

some sonnets from Sir Philip Sidney
>>
>>7414431
My diary desu
>>
Joyce's a portrait of the artist as a young man
It's the first Joyce I've ever read and I'm loving it
>>
>browsing /fa/ and reading Franzen

Do you literally live in a loft in Williamsburg?
>>
You should probably head back to /fa/ and /mu/. I don't like seeing art treated like a fashion accessory, and I especially don't like middlebrow plebs who browse my this board just to soak up some cultural capital and trick themselves into thinking they have taste. You don't want /lit/ OP, you're looking for a Twitter-approved Oprah Book Club.
>>
>>7414431
pale fire

the central poem is amazing so i'm trying to learn it by heart, up to line 150 or so now
>>
>>7414494
pure autism
>>
>>7414498
>the central poem is amazing

you need to read some actual poetry and read it again, you're going to regret those lines you memorized once (or if) you do. It's a horrendous poem, and only fiction readers find any value in it.
>>
>>7414431
Just started Lolita for the first time. Hoping I enjoy it as much as other people seem to.
>>
Satanic Bible.
Author: Anton Lavey

Has some interesting stuff.
Im not satanist but its still interesting to read it, very philosophical
>>
I read the Iliad a few months ago after being told to start with the Greeks. At first it was a bit tedious, interesting but just an amusing tale, then at some point after reading some academic papers it clicked for me and I started to understand the mind blowing depth of homers words. Just started pic related, attempting to shed light on PTSD by learning from homers descriptions of soldiers particularly achilles, by putting forth the idea of a moral injury
>>
Suttree. Anyone else here read this? I'm working on reading all of McCarthy's works right now, and so far this is my second-favorite of his (behind Blood Meridian).

Just finished the part where Harrogate slaughters the pig. So good.
>>
>>7414527
>>7414522
>>7414529
>>7414483
>>7414431
Please leave
>>
>>7414494
>>7414568

snob level: lonely anime website frequenter
>>
The Human Stain by Phillip Roth

It is v good in the same way that American Pastoral is good
>>
>>7414515
I actually interpreted it as being a parody, i.e. deliberately bad
>>
>>7414674

so why are you memorizing a poem that's intentionally bad? Why not commit something that comes out good in its own right?
>>
>>7414565
Currently reading it. I'm almost done and I have to say, it's a visual treat.
>>
>>7414686
that's another poster

i think it's genuinely great
>>
>>7414431
The Lime Twig
>>
Currently reading Forensic Shakespeare, and enjoying the fuck out of it.
>>
>>7414689
Right? Here's my favorite quote so far, of Suttree riding on the train:

>It had grown cold in the night but he was numb with other weathers. An equinox in the heart, ill change, unluck. Suttree held his face in his hands. Child of darkness and familiar of small dooms. He himself used to wake in terror to find whole congregations of the uninvited attending his bed, protean figures slouched among the room's dark corners in all multiplicity of shapes, gibbons and gargoyles, arachnoids of outrageous size, a batshaped creature hung by some cunning in a high corner from whence clicked and winked like bone chimes its incandescent teeth.
>>
File: trotsky .jpg (47 KB, 572x401) Image search: [Google]
trotsky .jpg
47 KB, 572x401
>>7414431
The Man Who Loved Dogs by Leonardo Padura (El Hombre Que Amaba a Los Perros in Spanish)

an account of Trotsky's assassination and the people surrounding it from a being told by a Cuban writer to his dying wife. Multiple characters and points of views. every chapter is has its own style and pace. good shit.
>>
>>7414568
no

:3c
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.