[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the book you're writing, Anon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 545x364) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 545x364
Tell me about the book you're writing, Anon
>>
its pretty sweet but i won't tell you because you will steal it
>>
>>7410542
>book
get out you piece of shit it's a work of art
>>
>>7410542
It's a series of different stories taking place in the same town that all revolve around the absurd and ridiculous legislation of the government, which, as it turns out, doesn't exist. All the laws come from nowhere other than the minds of the paranoid and accusatory citizens, who diffuse them in such a way that they change constantly, becoming more ridiculous or radical depending on the citizen. To give it some spice, I plan on making them spawn as some way to cope with the strange and supernatural events that occur in the town.
>>
A man in Iceland in the 1620s is trying to kill off all of the sea monsters. The town doesn't support him, and most of them are throwing more support behind some crazy preacher who was on his way to Denmark to ask them to help fight witchcraft before a sea monster wrecked his ship. All he wants to do is get people worked up about witchcraft, which is obviously make believe. All my protagonist wants to do is destroy all of the sea monsters who keep his town from sailing and trading, which is starving the town both literally and economically.

My protagonist manages to convince a ragtag group of people to help him destroy the sea monsters (you know, the ones you see on old maps) and he is fairly successful. But the last, and greatest adversary, the last Leviathan, kills his best friend and wounds him greatly. While convalescing, the town gets more sucked into this crazy person's ideas about witchcraft and how much energy they should spend on that. So he lost all of his allies. Some of his ragtag group have begun killing other members of his ragtag group. Obviously, if he wants to kill this Leviathan, he has to go it alone. Which he decides to do, after a conversation with his best friend's widow.

After he does, he reflects on how much safer he made the waters of Iceland for travel. A bunch of Turks show up and kidnap and enslave about half of the island. And after their gone, the entire town just sees it as a sign that witchcraft is real.
>>
Its a comedy about a flamboyantly gay tyrannical architect.
>>
>>7410542
a man gets turned into a bug and everyone hates him until he dies
>>
>>7412354
So it's like Winesburg, Ohio meets The Village?
>>
>>7412497
DUDE I'M A BUG LMAO
>>
>>7412506
MOM'S GONNA FREAK
>>
File: image.jpg (244 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244 KB, 640x1136
Well it's a post-apocalyptic magical realism story. Social satire, biblical allegory. Villain is totalitarian religious state which imposes absurd laws on the populace (such as mandatory and painful asceticism).
Sorry for shit pic, all I have on my phone.
Judge me.
>>
>>7412501
Yes, I guess. Good idea or no?
>>
>>7412543
Cool writing senpai
>>
>>7412543
>The state forcing austerity on people so they can live high on the hog
>"absurd"

RIP anon's shitty novel
>>
>>7412553
I like the idea of the phony government and how everyone just made up all the laws. Sounds like some Vonnegutesque satire in a good way.
I'm not sure how I feel about the supernatural aspect but it could turn out to be cool.
>>
>>7412561
The protagonist and his revolution are painted with a degree of moral ambiguity. Many times the villains make valid criticisms of his movement.
Also, on an allegorical level, the protagonist is satan.
>>
>>7412543
You have a very, very good style. If you get it published, I will definitely read it.
>>7412564
>it could turn out to be cool.
I can only hope it does.
>>
>>7412591
I'm glad you think it's well written, I haven't shown it to many people yet or had much feedback.

Stylistically I'm very much inspired by James Joyce.
>>
>>7412543
your writing style isn't bad but your ideas are shit. wooah, totalitarian fundamentalist societies are bad??? thought provoking social satire. dude religion sucks, itsa tool for opression. we should be free instead and love life :)
>>
>>7412614
I could tell. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>7412622
It is both a criticism of religious fundamentalism (such as sharia law) and anarchist ideals at the same time. By giving the people knowledge and the ability to revolt, he dooms them. At the same time their lives are better for it (until shit gets fucked up). I don't want to give too much away, but basically once infrastructure is destroyed they are unfit to defend themselves from outside forces.
>>
>>7412661
PostScript: also definitely isn't an anti-religious message. Protag is religious.
>>
It's a fragmentary novel about growing up in gentrified NYC as a kid whose first day of school happened to be 9/11, trying to keep a scene that might never have existed alive, and the extreme contrast between the yuppie/hipster appeal and the fading but still-present filth. Bits and pieces of Judaism thrown in as well. Many narrators, but the "main character" never narrates and the main and most stylistically distinctive narrator is never named. You might have read some of it in critique threads.
>>
>>7412744
Does it end with the kid finding out that his father's company helped fund the terrorists who did the 9/11 attacks?
>>
File: 1396220481587.jpg (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1396220481587.jpg
36 KB, 400x300
What kind of book should I write if I want to get rich?
>>
>>7412754
Teen romance
>>
>>7410542
No faggot. Buy it for cheap when it gets published
>>
>>7412614
Too much so.
>>
>>7412752
Ha, nope, these are poor "art" kids here, or at least kids who feel poor, which is very easy to do in NYC no matter how much money you have. Besides, I'm drawing mostly on my experiences here, and I am absolutely not a Zionist, nor are most of my Jewish friends. Being Jewish in NYC is pretty different from being Jewish anywhere else in the world, since so much of NYC culture comes from Jews, and Jews in NYC tend to let themselves into the local culture a bit more than Jews elsewhere.
>>
>>7412768
Oh ok. I was just joking. It sounds like an interesting novel.
>>
>>7412772
Figured you were, but Zionist/JEWS DID 9/11 panic is a real and large enough part of modern Jewish culture that it's definitely worth addressing.
And thanks, yo.
>>
It's a short story about a female vampire living as an experimental artist in Manhattan in the early-60s. She's done pretty much everything in life and is bored. She wants to die, but has to face the reality that she can't and must continue an endless and painful cycle of changing identity and location, and making a victim of everyone she used to care for.
>>
>>7412784
Does she die
>>
>>7412766
Very too much so. I can't help it, though. It's just how I write.
I have an alcoholic beverage in my setting who's name is an homage to finnegans wake: "pftjschute". Pronounced piftieshoot. Sold in speakeasies.
>>
>>7410542
YA novel (I need something easier to get finished and out in the market), taking place at the end of the 19th century. Story occurs mostly in England and India. The Theosophical Society is at the middle of it, secret shenanigans and political connections. There's magic in a sense, but it's more about the acquisition of knowledge. Still trying to figure out how to spice up that aspect of the book.
>>
>>7412543
This is literally all just stolen from A Canticle for Leibowitz but much shittier
>>
>>7412833
I haven't read that, but judging by the Wikipedia page the similarities to what I have in mind look mostly superficial.
>>
>>7412805
No
>>
>>7410542
Im 100 pages in, 7 chapters. Feels good. Editing it all this week then gunna continue. have a decent plot, threw it to some friends and let some read it. Now they beg for more. Feeeeeeelsss good. Ill upload it when I'm completely done and its signed.
>>
>>7412774
Are you going to touch on that subject at all in the novel?
>>
My uncle is writing a novel about a guy who starts a news corporation that only reports positive stories. Sounds corny but the manuscript so-far is actually pretty decent.
>>
>>7412543
http://pastebin.com/TLJPgF8r
>>
>>7412360
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7410542
I'm trying to writing an autobiography that starts with me in the present and works backwards, detailing important events in my life and whatever musings I have on them.
>>
File: know-brow.jpg (72 KB, 750x707) Image search: [Google]
know-brow.jpg
72 KB, 750x707
>>7410542

New sincere metamodern avant-garde literature

>>7413158
>>
Premise:
In 2086, a UFO appears instantaneously just outside Earth's atmosphere. It crash lands in Central Park Manhattan. upon being surrounded, the airlock opens and and a man steps out of the ship with long unkept beard and hair (like a castaway). The man falls to his knees, screams in agony and collapses dead on the spot.
2131: due to the reverse engineering of the technology on the ship, the earth no longer has an energy crisis and mankind now has the resources to explore space and utilize discovered wormholes to search out other planets capable of being colonized. Long distance probes return from the wormholes reporting extensive coverage of 9 habitable and accommodating planets for colonization.
2144: after studying the information from the probes, an initiative is created to send 9 shuttles through the wormholes to start colonization.
2156: the shuttles are ready to leave:

The main story follows brothers Joseph and Adrian Thompson and four other selected gifted and trained young adults (ages 21-25) as they battle against 3 other groups in contests of wits and science to be selected as the engineering group who will be responsible for manning the "RIG" a floating repair and monitoring station that will ultimately follow each of the shuttles to their destinations and ensure each arrives safely at their destination.

the genre is hard science fiction and the story is not teen or YA. The candidates have to be young so that they're still physically capable of performing their grueling duties across the 20 year mission.

Plot twists involve:
The backgrounds and skeletons in the closets of the other candidates, the rumored "militarized" ship to follow, and the intentions and motivations of the candidates older mentor who is being "put out to pasture" and will ultimately be their superior for the duration of their travels.

Tldr:
interstellar
MEETS
Hard scifi of The Martian
MEETS
the character process of Walter white to Heisenberg, (from Breaking Bad)
MEETS
The armor of DEAD SPACE
MEETS
The man vs nature vs nemesis of Moby Dick
>>
>>7413152
Take some cues from the Elliot Rodger manifesto. It's a very well written memoir, and it proves that anybody's life can be interesting if you write it a certain way.
>>
>>7412774
I'm writing something with Jews, too. It's about a holocaust-victim-turned-superhero. A foreign scientist leads him against a German scientist trying to steal their technology to keep his advanced stage of syphilis from killing him.
>>
>>7412497
sounds very original :^)
>>
>>7410542

It's about a girl and her tranny pal. I'm afraid that I'm going to be accused of pandering, since male authors writing female protagonists is apparently a fad now.

It also lacks any huge, attention-grabbing 'shock' scenes, at least for the first half. And for the second half it's just mild body horror and self loathing dialogue. I think my novel has says things that aren't, or haven't been said, insight into modern cultural trends, and expresses what I feel perfectly. But maybe people will view it as boring because nothing really shocking happens. They just move around the country and deal with their own issues and deal with other people. One of them calls child protection services on her new neighbor, I guess that's the biggest thing that happens.
>>
>>7412962
I mean, sure, but how much do pseudo-musician-burnouts in New York City who just happen to be Jewish really think about it? It's going to come up, because it is there, but it's not like it's going to be a major subject or anything. New York City is really the only place in the world where you can be Jewish in the same way that many American Christians are Christian—affirmatively yet very passively, with a healthy dose of detachment from all those horrible inter-Jew politics. My Jewish identity wasn't really complete until I left the city for an extended period of time, and it's the same way for most of my friends. Same way with the kids in the novel—someone might say "L'Chaim" or sit through an especially nasty Seder or something, but it's not like anyone's going to have tremendously deep thoughts about it. The reason why it's there is, for the most part, as another example of New York's identity crisis and artificial division of the old and new (a shit-ton of the city's hated developers are Jewish, but then again, so are a large portion of the people that they're displacing) — and, of course, because I'm Jewish.

>>7413492
Okay?
>>
It's a young adult fiction.
>>
>>7412865
Sounds pretty interesting.
>>
It's about a peach farmer who hates peaches.

You wouldn't get it.
>>
>>7414026
As a novel writer who hates novels I can sympathize
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.