[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: image11[1].jpg (175 KB, 897x719) Image search: [Google]
image11[1].jpg
175 KB, 897x719
Which is better?
>>
Only a retarded teen would pick BNW
>>
The one that happened.
>>
I enjoyed 1984 more.
>>
>>7408651
Life and Fate
>>
>>7408651
1984 is the what; BNW is the how.
>>
Both are awful. Democratic propaganda.
>>
>>7408759
this
>>
1984 is a despotic hellhole while Brave New World is a perfect utopian vision which we should all be striving towards realizing one day for our progeny.
>>
>>7408651
The one with /ss/
>>
We, Yevgeny Zamyatin.

It's the most entertaining, anyway.
>>
>>7408861
(You)
>>
>>7408861
Not this fucking guy
>>
File: bemftIM.jpg (251 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
bemftIM.jpg
251 KB, 720x540
Both are complete shit
>>
BNW has terrible characters.
>>
>>7408657
so 1984?
>>
I like seeing that people are starting to understand Aldous Huxley was a legitimately bad writer. Island, what he considers to be his most important novel, read like a '60s self-help guide that you pick up in a Kinkos. The Oedipus Rex scene was total cringe. BNW was trash, too. Doors of Perception is everything wrong with mescaline in one book (whoaaaa I'm seeing the world as it really is maaaaaaan [not that I don't enjoy mescaline or hallucinogens socially or for fun, I just think people who view them as more than drugs are retarded])

1984 is decent highschool lit and is probably enjoyable still if you missed the boat then. I see it like one of those books like a lot of Hemingway where you could've read it at 14 or 50 and it's still really good.
>>
>>7408651
Is it the same person who posts a variant of this thread every day?
>>
>>7409834
I agree that Huxley isn't the best writer; I've read a few of his books and disliked most of them. But Brave New World is the exception imo.
>>
>>7408651
Island
>>
>>7408651
>polarizing

Both are superb
>>
>>7409834
I just wrote a long defense for The Island. It's a brilliant book that everyone should consider reading. I'll rewrite it and post some other day
>>
>>7409834
>>7409834
>not that I don't enjoy mescaline or hallucinogens socially or for fun

>Guys what are we gonna do today?
>Let's take some mescaline, that'll be fun :D

Mescaline is a totally new perspective on everything. The drug doesn't have some magic powers within itself, but it's ridiculous to dismiss it's spiritual and psychological potential.

I've only read Doors of perception and The island. And yeah the prose might not be fantastic, but that's not what he is trying to do.
In the Island he lines up an entirely different alternative from communism and capitalism. He shows us how much better our societies could be if we changed a little. It's pretty ambitious to say the least. The ideas that are expressed are really interesting.

Your critique makes me think you didn't really give the book a chance, or just skimmed through it without contemplating the content. Did you get bored with the idea heavy material?

Whatever the reason you didn't like it, I think it's a shame. The world would be a better place if people read it and took his ideas seriously.
>>
>>7408861
m'lady
>>
Orwell was the better writer, Huxley was the better storyteller
>>
>>7409822
both happened
>>
Fahrenheit 451 is better than both
>>
Brave New World did an excellent job of taking the fears of social engineering, which was huge in the early and mid 20th century particularly with eugenics, to its most logical extreme.

1984 is good at showing how authoritarian regimes can come about through well intentioned designs to keep a country's people safe and secure, and the psychological means of control that's used to maintain that control.

They're important because of their social context, on their own they're adequate novels but there's more engaging Sci Fi than Huxley. I genuinely think 1984 is well written and a phenomenal read though
>>
File: shm2.gif (3 MB, 320x227) Image search: [Google]
shm2.gif
3 MB, 320x227
>>7409923
>it's ridiculous to dismiss it's spiritual
>>
>>7408654
lol dipshit
>>
Cover art-wise they are both shit.
>>
File: download.png (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4 KB, 225x225
I haven't read BNW, but from what I understand, the general idea of Huxley's fear was that censorship would be unnecessary because there would be no demand for intellectual material. If that's the case, I think he got it half right. It feels as though there's an increasingly widening gap between those who care about political improvement and those who don't.

I don't give a fuck what /lit/ thinks, 1984 is still my favorite piece of fiction- or at least 'message' fiction. I loved the idea of 'institutionalized anarchy' that Orwell put across with Goldstein's book- give the people enough hope that things will get better so they don't lose their shit.
>>
>>7410043
Spiritual as in that it can improve the quality of your figurative "soul". Also you gain understanding and a connection for the world and other humans.

Use mescaline solely for recreation or for fun is a waste of mescaline. Psychedelics isn't just laughing at breathing trees, it gives you access to a different plain of conciousness
>>
read both, by todays standard they both have a weak storyline. 1984 is easier to read, but it feels dated.
>>
>>7408651
Both are equal but BVN is more equal considering that the social dilemma presented in it is happening in the real world too.
>>
>>7408654
And here we have a retarded teen you doesn't know jackshit
>>
>>7409918
Nice. Now I want to read it.
>>
>>7409974
Maybe but it cannot be compared to these books. The way society is portrayed in these books is unfortunately coming true. However we are getting close to Fahrenheit 451.
>>
>>7408963
came here to post this

it's also the one they ripped BNW and 1984 from
>>
>>7409923
>>7410225
See? These kind of people. Damned stupid bastards trying to look like wisened guru.
>>7410231
I remember some girl in high school complaining 1984 was hard. Not even a dumb girl--they all chose to read Canadian YA (which is almost all set in a reservation.)
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.