[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've basically only read contemporary literature and modernism.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: thesunalsorisescover.png (2 MB, 1400x2121) Image search: [Google]
thesunalsorisescover.png
2 MB, 1400x2121
I've basically only read contemporary literature and modernism. What books should I start with to stop being such a pleb? Keep in mind the only cultured authors I've extensively read are Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and T.S. Eliot?
>>
shakespeare, dante, some russian romantics, a bit of english romantics. you know, the entry level package.
>>
File: start with the greeks lit chart.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
start with the greeks lit chart.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7408084
That chart is alright aside from Pope translations and the horrible philosophy section
>>
>>7408089

What are better translations besides Pope?
>>
>>7408091
Fagles, Lattimore, Lombardo

Pope is more of a remake than a translation.
>>
>>7408091
He's not a bad translator, but he's not the one to read if you want a more 'literal' translation (he translated it into heroic couplets)

Look at Merrill, Lattimore, and Fitzgerald.
>>
>>7408093
>>7408100

Thanks. Bought a really nicely bound Pope translation for cheap last Friday, but looks like I'll look into one of those translations.
>>
Stendhal

Le Rouge et le Noir
>>
File: 1415120555.jpg (51 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
1415120555.jpg
51 KB, 858x536
>greek meme
Mfw people still fall for this
Don't be such compliant. I did it and can say that it is not necessary unless you're going to philosophy.
Actually if what you want is really good reads you should stay away. When you're not talking about philosophy, mainly in the academic environment, the greeks really sucks.
Remove the cult value of Homer's books and everybody stops to worship. It is pedantic, boring and pretentious. If judged only by the content, such as a common story the verdict is obvious: overrated at all.

You're already know what is good. Just keep this line, looking for the content and not caring about external issues.
Also my recommendation.
>>
>>7408066
>Hemmingway
>Fitzgerald
>TS Elliot

Not a bad place to start anon.
>>
>cultured authors
>Hemingway
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7410051
Awesome post, kid. Now go back to your chicklit and after 2 pages, when the next chapter ends, come to /lit/ again spam some shit begging for attention. Talk shti about the fucking greeks is valid too.
It's not even funny this cringe level.
>>
>>7408066
The Republic
Shakespeare works
Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Moby-Dick
>>
>>7410086
Oh, and The Odyssey.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.