[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literary Pet Peeves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: hunting cap.jpg (46 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hunting cap.jpg
46 KB, 500x500
'Ugh, I hate Catcher in the Rye! Holden was so whiny.'
>>
>>7407713
"1984 literally describes what the future could be like. Orwell was only off by like 40 years."
>>
>>7407713
>"Pynchon is bad"
>"Postmodernism is bad"
>"Story is all that matters"
>"Literature is useless"
Seriously, fuck people who think any of these.
>>
File: 14476573939.png (174 KB, 591x392) Image search: [Google]
14476573939.png
174 KB, 591x392
>>7407713
"This might not be what you're looking for, but may I recommend A Song of Ice and Fire?"
>>
"Hamlet is such a fag, why doesn't he just decide?"
>>
>>7407720
It may not have actually meant to be a prediction, but you have to admit that like a good 50% or so of his insanely dystopic shit has come true.

The NSA were only a few steps (if any) off from being capable of monitoring EVERY single household via hacking computers or other devices.
>>
>>7407727

Postmodernism is bad, though. But I agree with your last green text.
>>
People who treat their books like they are holy and never break the spine or dog-ear.

People who treat their books like shit and break the spine in 9 different places and wipe their ass with it
>>
>>7407720
>>7407755

Daily reminder that Huxley was right. Not Orwell.
>>
File: UK 1984.jpg (390 KB, 863x1198) Image search: [Google]
UK 1984.jpg
390 KB, 863x1198
>>7407720
He's pretty close though
>>
>>7407727
but pynchon and postmodernism are bad
>>
>>7407821
>why aren't people taking my bait????!!!!!

zzz
>>
>>7407821
6/10 not provocative enough.
>>
How does /lit/ feel about reading sci-fi and fantasy garbage as opposed to attaining the same material through a different medium?

Case in point, I recently started reading a novel that was a prequel to a pretty famous video game. Of course the novel is no masterpeice, but its enjoyable enough and scratches my itch for something sci-fi. Would I have been better off just playing the game?

Another case would be reading a YAF about high school students and magic, as opposed to watching anime. Is reading the YAF better inherently because I'm still reading?
>>
File: 1448153498204.jpg (284 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1448153498204.jpg
284 KB, 1366x768
>>7407713
>Ugh, MORE unreliable narrators? Can't he just write a straight story?
>This story had NO ENDING, wtf?
>The first three books are super boring, just skip them
>The magic system in this book is AMAZING
>Oh, I didn't read it, but I did read the TV Tropes page.
>I would read that book but I saw on the wikipedia page that it was written like 40 years ago. I don't want to read anything that's out of date.
Mfw
>>
File: ya boy.jpg (89 KB, 590x603) Image search: [Google]
ya boy.jpg
89 KB, 590x603
>>7407767
>People who treat their books like they are holy and never break the spine or dog-ear.
This and the same kind of people who act like being in the proximity of a lot of books is a spiritual experience are middlebrow as fuck. People who actually read and study a lot just think of libraries as workplaces and are over the consumerist fetishization of books.
>>
>>7407856
>Is reading the YAF better inherently because I'm still reading?

no, equally trash. reading things isn't an ontologically superior way of consuming media, just the one with which you can consume the best media.
>>
Sorry people have different opinions and we all aren't just a bunch of Sallinger nuthuggers family.
>>
>>7407713
"Atlas Shrugged is my favorite book."
>>
>>7407720
"You should read Soumission. It literally describes what would happen if we keep allowing migrants in."
>>
File: 1448169252336.png (122 KB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
1448169252336.png
122 KB, 240x260
>>7407713
>"Ugh, I can't believe you read all these books by old white men"
>followed inevitably, sometimes months or even a year later, with "You should read the Communist Manifesto sometimes, it's eye-opening"

>"Joseph Conrad was obviously a racist, just look how often he uses the N-word"

>"The Art of War is so ______"
>>
File: 1448462868170.png (75 KB, 388x384) Image search: [Google]
1448462868170.png
75 KB, 388x384
>"I like Malcolm Gladwell"
>>
>>7407713
"Aurelius' Meditations is a really important work and changed my perspective on things. I would definitely recommend it."
>>
>>7407856
Anime is good, YA isn't.
>>
"Stephen King is Cervantes compared to David Foster Wallace."

Yawn.
>>
>>7407927
>"I post anime reaction pics"
I hope you're not the same fag from r9k who keeps posting that anime girl
>>
>>7408002
No, I don't even browse that cancerous board.
>>
>>7407713

If you go on goodreads and filter it to only show one star reviews you get some golden opinions.

on kafka's metamorphosis
'who would want to read about a big ugly bug? that's just gross'

on mishimi's sailor who fell from grace with the sea
'the young boys in this novel are mean and do some disgusting things, i'd rather read about something nice and happy'

how the fuck to people come to hold such opinions?
>>
>>7407968
>anime is good
It has, like all mediums do, a few jewels, but anime as a whole is p bad, mane.
>>
>>7408008
>"Umberto Eco knows a lot about medieval Christianity. And in case we don't believe how much he knows about the subject, he's going to SHOW how much he knows by inflicting upon the world his 600+ page core memory dump of every obscure religious historical factoid he's ever crammed into his overstuffed brain."
>>
>>7408008
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/554?book_show_action=false
>This book was so dumb it was a chore to get through it--and I haven’t pushed past the pain period in years. People riding worms, killing their grandpas, weird names for knives, bullets and don’t forget, everyone is addicted to Cinnamon. I thought it was lame. It felt really juvenile. The author seemed to be trying really hard to make everything really mysterious and mythical, and all I could think was how lame it was: all-blue eyes, a worms called a "makers," suits where you drink your own body moisture (disgusting).
Amazing. Just amazing.
>>
>>7408012
Nope.
>>
>>7408038
Yep.
>>
File: blue-curtains-9.jpg (278 KB, 1481x1600) Image search: [Google]
blue-curtains-9.jpg
278 KB, 1481x1600
>English is so dumb, it's all just subjective.
>>
>>7407821
true
>>
>>7408008
>This book is like walking into a cocktail party full of strangers, all wearing identical masks, who all turn out to be jerks and would just be terribly, terribly amused if one told them so. The first section is actually good; I would read more about Gwyon's odd father and great-aunt. I would read more about Gwyon's time in Paris, too. But once he gets to New York, not only can I not tell who's saying what but I don't care. I just want them to shut the hell up.
>>
>>7407713
"Catcher in the Rye taught me a lot about my teen angst!"
>>
>>7408598
>im gonna look for old threads to bump with bait
>tee hee master trole xd
>>
>>7407713
He rapes his sister, Phoebe.
>>
>>7407769
Daily reminder that you're a sad memer
>>
>>7407727
>Utilitarism must be applied to literature!
>Literature must serve a purpose!
>Bring social change through books!
>Realism and naturalism!
>I only read Zola and similar garbage, yes, I want my novel to deal with sewers and groceries!
just fucking end it
>>
>>7408773
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7407861
Hahahaha son that's because you own fucking 15$ editions, I own original editions of Taine and a 1778 of La Bruyère, of course you wouldn't care about books when all you own is garbage produced by massive publishing houses.
>>
>>7408783
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7407735
One of my students had this attitude. Then we read Kafka and he kept getting pissed because Gregor should have just taken over the city instead of moping. This was a brilliant student, just couldn't tolerate the exceptionally introspective, hesitant character type I guess.
>>
>Harry Potter is not complete trash
>>
>>7408072
Gets me every time.
>English is stupid, the curtains are just blue, it doesn't mean anything!
>same people who think the green light is just a goddamn green light
>>
>>7408773
I don't like Kant but I dislike him less than Mill. Forcing people into society's molds isn't right IMO.
>>
>>7408829
Now look here you little shit.
I have a childhood connection to Harry Potter. Doesn't make it great literature, but fuck if I'd ever say it's trash. It's a kid's book.
>>
>>7407767
Yup.

I like breaking books in. It's like getting a new pair of shoes and allowing your life to shape and wear them down. No sense in buying a new pair of shoes and throwing them in the mud, though. Don't force life and you won't got no strife.
>>
>>7408773
>Utilitarianism at all
I dont know how people were tricked into believing empty psychological rhetoric from the 19th century more than their own common sense.
>>
>>7408012
Well, yeah, but the point stands that there's more good anime than good YA.
>>
>>7408783
Are you being serious right now?
Poe's law and all, I really can't tell if you're shitposting or just shitposting
>>
>>7408826

>Gregor should have just taken over the city
what the fuck? that would be sick to be quite honest family but where does he draw that conclusion from? it's not like he's a giant super strong bug or anything
>>
>>7408947
Have you tried virtue ethics?
>>
>>7409024
Yup, taking an intro to ethics class and we finished that section a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it. I like how it focuses on the self, because that's really all each of us have control over.
>>
>>7409040
Yeah, I like how inward-looking it is. You only run into some difficulty with it when attempting to apply it on a political level -- it's hard to imagine how such a character-focused and personal normative theory could be used to make decisions on a national level, for example. But either way I think it's a really attractive system, especially after what the neo-Aristotelians of the 80s did with it.
>>
>>7407856
Is it Halo: Fall of Reach? cause if it is then it's patrician literature
>>
>>7408008
> Right from the beginning, I felt like this was follow up on a story I was already supposed to know and the further in you got, it never got any better.

Beth you ignorant slut that's exactly what it is did you pay zero fucking attention to the book
>>
>>7408829
>Childrens books are bad
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.