[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
journaling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Penmanship2.jpg (207 KB, 1600x651) Image search: [Google]
Penmanship2.jpg
207 KB, 1600x651
Maybe not exactly /lit/ related but how many of you journal? Do you use a certain method of journaling? What pens and journals do you use on a daily basis? 99% of videos about journaling are done by women and it makes me wonder why men are less inclined to journal.

I find journaling to be a good practice for staying focused on my goals by keeping a daily log of what I've done and intend to do. I also use it to jot down notes about books I'm reading or quotes I think are important. Sometimes I write down new words I really like. I rarely use it as a "diary" but maybe I should express myself in this manner more often... Does anyone find that helpful?

Tell me how you journal /lit/.

>pic related?
>>
Journal is a noun you fucking cunt
>>
>>7407288

What do you have against verbing nouns, anon? It seems seriously to impact you.
>>
>>7407288
Journalers btfo

OP on suicide watch
>>
>>7407239
i used to but it was depressing as fuck to just flip past the pages filled 'abject misery today, read a bit of [x], watched [x], ate [x]'. now i just keep a bigass calendar and have some markers to show myself that im progressing on certain quantifiable fronts (i.e went to the gym, did not blow all my cash on drugs etc)
>>
>>7407239
I started a journal this summer, initially to write down my reflections concerning Knausgaards "Min Kamp", but later on transformed it into a fully-fledged archive - song titles, loose thoughts and all.
>>
File: 1430332268265.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1430332268265.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>7407363
you didn't write down any thoughts or musings, you just wrote "today i did this and this"?
>>
I am male and have kept a journal for about four years now. I use it, as you say, to keep track of my goals (in the gym, at university, with creative projects) but also to keep track of my personal relationships as well as my emotions.

It is a very useful tool when I am having a difficult time in life and I find them quite enjoyable to reread as well. It began as something I said I'd do alongside therapy and I just elected to keep it up. I'd recommend it.
>>
Interested as well.
I sometimes jot down my thoughts on a topic that seems to particularly occupy me at that moment, and which might be interesting to read at some point in the future. I don't do it regularly, though, just when I feel like it.
>>
I like to use a pen and notebook bc I sometimes draw what I'm writing

Mostly to write out theories or what I'm thinking. I do some cray shit irl, so also memoir-type shit
>>
I do crappy drawings, write down my ideas, and do fun math puzzles in my journal
>>
File: trash.jpg (29 KB, 599x448) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
29 KB, 599x448
>>7407387
that was separate, i use yellow legal pads for those.

i kept a journal mostly as a way to inventory my feelings and try to be mindful of how i use my time, and what those day's concerns were.

my "thoughts and musings" crap looks like pic related but in yellow legal pad paper.
>>
I started recently and I've been switching between a black pen and a .30 mechanical pencil.
I just want to remember finer details later in life, as well as when exactly I started doing an activity.
>>
I started journaling this summer, and I've really fallen in love with it. Like >>7407425 said, it's great for when I'm feeling anxious. Normally these half-baked thoughts and emotions just start rattling around in my head, but when I write them down, it eases the pressure a little. It forces me to put what I'm thinking and feeling into coherent ideas, and when I can look at them from a distance like that I'm usually able to see why they're not a big deal, what I can do about it, etc.

I write in a Moleskine notebook I keep by my bed. When I started, I tried to force myself to do one page a day, but I've found not sticking to strict schedule works better for me. I often skip a day or two, but when I do get to it, I'll usually pump out several pages at a time. I also picked up running as a hobby recently, and I find I'll start composing what I'll write about that day while I run and my mind's nice and clear.

Side note: laughing because in any other thread pretty much every post here would have gotten a >nice blog post
>>
>>7409356
>nice blog post
I'm happy to see everyone share their methods of journaling and experiences doing so. So far the consensus seems to be that it is a very beneficial practice for writing, peace of mind, and organization... Would like to hear more about the stationary equipment people are using. A lot of journalers on YouTube seem to be big on fountain pens but those things will bleed through any piece of paper.
>>
>>7409430
I couple years ago I had the idea to pick up a fountain pen again because it seemed complementary to the act of journaling and I'd already learned to be comfortable with one while I was at school where they were mandatory. These days the pen lives on my desk for when I've set aside the time to write properly and otherwise I just use whatever shitty pen allows me to most effectively write in my lap. My main issue with fountain pens is how easy they are to smudge, ever after they're supposedly dry, so I tend to use mine less often. I am writing in a moleskin right now though this is only my second "big" moleskin. Over the summer I tried out using the little cahiers they offer and found their lack of a hard cover quite annoying. Moleskin are bloody expensive so I'm thinking about just buying a notebook next and writing in that.
>>
I've tried keeping a Journal in the past, but I never seemed to keep at it for a long period. I always feel busy, and can't decide what to write.

How do you decide what to write in it?
>>
>>7409430
Like I said, I've been using a Moleskine. When I bought it back when I was just started, I opted for the pack of two small notebooks instead of the large ones because I wasn't sure I'd be keeping up the hobby. Just a couple of months later I've filled one and I'm halfway through the next. (note to self: tell mom to put a big Moleskine on my Christmas list.)
>>7410125
I usually start off with whatever I did that day, and let it turn into a statement of my thoughts and opinions. It's really a matter of getting the momentum going. I struggled at first because I was telling myself what I was writing wasn't worth the effort, and I had to learn just to let the stream of consciousness flow.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.