[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The War We Never Fought: The British Establishment's Surrender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I'm attending a talk and live Q&A with Peter Hitchens tonight about the legalisation of drugs.

Can anyone sum up his book on the topic?

I think I understand the crux of his argument, which is that addiction doesn't really exist. Also does anyone have any good question ideas?
>>
>>7406154
>addiction doesn't really exist
But that's factually and scientifically wrong.
>>
>>7406159
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/science/the-rational-choices-of-crack-addicts.html
from my experience also this is pretty much true
>>
>>7406159
I think the point that he makes (or maybe I'm confusing my friend's arguments for his) is that you always have access to willpower, there is never anything "physically" stopping you from doing drugs. I have a feeling that his idea of the unstoppable will is connected to his belief in god, where an ultimate power of will would make sense if a soul existed.
>>
>>7406173
That's better, I guess.
>>
>>7406173
I never read it, but isn't Hitchens against legalization? Because I consider that idea an argument in favor of it.
>>
>>7406221
Yeah he's against it.

From Peter's POV, drug-taking is just a crime that people willingly commit, so they should be punished for breaking the law. He's also a strong believer that drugs make you psychotic etcetera, he posted a list of killers on his blog that had smoked cannabis and claimed there's a connection.
>>
>>7406154

Ask him why he hates freedom.

Honestly, it's, a very legitimate question to ask anyone opposed to legalizing drugs (most of whom casually imbibe in alcohol, caffeine and occasional nicotine themselves).

Ask him whether or not he believes above mentioned drugs should be illegal too. If he doesn't think so, ask him for justification for the inconsistency. If he claims different levels of harm, refer him to the study published in The Lancet by David Nutt.
>>
>>7406248

>he posted a list of killers on his blog that had smoked cannabis and claimed there's a connection.

This man goes under the guise of a public intellectual? Are you serious?
>>
>>7406270
I'm tempted to ask him something provoking because his responses are usually hilarious.
He doesn't like alcohol and I think he would argue for it's criminalisation if there was any chance of success (which there isn't).

>>7406273
I respect his opinion on a lot of other subjects. He's a pretty respectable political commentator and he seems to know his history quite well.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x314
>the author seen here dressed as Dr. Evil

I don't know about the chapters, but consider asking him about the laws of Malta... Apparently cannabis seeds had been consumed in Ancient Roman desserts, but who's to say what's happened since then?
>>
>>7406154
ask him how it feels to be on the wrong side of history
>>
>>7406270
>freedom
>inherently good
Also, comparing nicotine and caffeine with Class A drugs is silly as they do not induce altered states to any significant degree.

The same can be said for alcohol, as it has aesthetic (culinary) applications wherein moderate use does not produce an altered state, something which even the smallest doses of Class-A drugs will do.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.