[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any great "really out there" kind of literature? Something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1432365553389.jpg (5 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
1432365553389.jpg
5 KB, 227x222
Any great "really out there" kind of literature? Something that is not really structured, something really weird? I'm new to reading, but reading classics isn't cutting it for me.
>>
If the normal page turner isn't enough for you and you want a book that plays around with the role of printed text, House of Leaves might be a good purchase for you.
>>
>>7402046
Brautigan
>>
I'll check these out, thanks.
>>
If classics aren't cutting it for you then read more classics a different way. There's a reason they're "timeless" and a perennial mark literature is held to. They have things deep in them that you have to work out, and if you aren't getting that who says that you will get Beckett or Joyce or Faulkner (all people I would recommend you read a little, they fit your description)

Understand why you're even reading before tackling this stuff, it's not just something passive.
Maybe I'm just projecting an idea on you that's completely irrelevant, so here are some intro popular abstract writers that should keep you pretty busy until you understand the ~environment~.
Some of these aren't formally defined as abstract, but fit the bill for probably what you want, and are what got me into this stuff in high-school.

Small fun Intro: Haruki Murikami (wind up bird chronicles specifically)
Gaddis (The Recognitions)
Pynchon (V. or Gravity's Rainbow, meme)
Julio Cortazar (short story)
Hart Crane/Ezra Pound (The Bridge//Cantos)
>>
>>7402046
You might also like some free verse by Walt Whitman to touch yr soul or T.S Eliot to make you cold
>>
>>7402046
Michael Ondaatje.
Read Coming Through Slaughter.
>>
>>7402046
The Tunnel by William Gass.
>>
Tristram Shandy
>>
File: 08.jpg (32 KB, 540x365) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
32 KB, 540x365
The tree of codes - Jonathan Safran Foer
>>
>>7402046
Petersburg - Bely
>>
File: god is dead bonk.jpg (21 KB, 340x574) Image search: [Google]
god is dead bonk.jpg
21 KB, 340x574
>>7402046
title is just so people would pay attention to it. not especially edgy.

narrative jumps around chapter to chapter and is pretty "out there," content-wise
>>
2nding gaddis

anything by him really
>>
>>7402046
The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
>>
File: surreal literature1.jpg (1 MB, 1600x2450) Image search: [Google]
surreal literature1.jpg
1 MB, 1600x2450
>>7402046
>>
Jg Ballard- the atrocity exhibition
>>
What 'classics' are you reading? There's quite a few and they're all quite different. Try VALIS, The Nigger of the 'Narcissus', and The Lotus Sutra.
>>
>I'm new to reading
???
>>
>>7403516
Oh man this. Fucked me up for a few days and made me swear never to smoke anything that wasn't weed.
>>
How has nobody said Naked Lunch
>>
>>7403556
because it's shit
>>
If on a winters night a traveler would be a nice bridge between classics and more experimental stuff. Although I agree with >>7402105 if the classics aren't cutting it for you it might be because of your comprehension.
>>
Michael Cisco. His books are mostly atmosphere and lyricism (as opposed to plot or dialog), but he manages to weave very dream-like sequences. He's most commonly associated with the "weird fiction" subgenre of horror, but he sort of defies genre classification. Check out The Divinity Student or The Great Lover.
>>
>>7402093

this OP

HoL is wonderful weird intro lit
>>
Naked Lunch

long as you're into purple lipped penises and tasty jizm
>>
>>7403569

Get over the homosex and its fucking great dude.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.