[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about John Rawls and Theory of Justice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: JohnRawlsYall_0-1.jpg (80 KB, 599x571) Image search: [Google]
JohnRawlsYall_0-1.jpg
80 KB, 599x571
What does /lit/ think about John Rawls and Theory of Justice?
Is redistribution of wealth and equal opportunity worth attempting to reach?
>>
There is no justice apart from God's will, and Heaven is a kingdom not a democracy.
>>
>>7401594
Rawls acknowledges this flaw in political liberalism, how the idea of the original position only works when society decides to be secular. But, with secularism rising, doesn't Rawl's model work for the future?
>>
File: 1448012929222.png (3 MB, 1148x1848) Image search: [Google]
1448012929222.png
3 MB, 1148x1848
Any notion of justice that departs from justice as an institution to deter criminal activity is bullshit and dangerous. An injustice cannot come from a spontaneous order, it must be a deliberate act by an individual. Rawls's idea is basically a blank check for increasing government power.
>>
File: 1282569514342.jpg (14 KB, 508x376) Image search: [Google]
1282569514342.jpg
14 KB, 508x376
>>7401594
>>
why should it be?
>>
Only if we were in the original position...and we're not...
>>
>Rawls
>what if we were all invisible and then set up a society
>tfw we wouldn't know eachother's social standing
>tfw we wouldn't even know our own
>therefore we wouldn't know who stood to benefit from whatever society we put in place
>society is super equal and fair because we don't want to get screwed over
>tfw we can't be invisible though
>throw in a lot of deliberately confusing language so ppl think it's a good theory anyway
>also assume that anybody would be able to agree on economic/political system in the first place
>justice
>>
He considers that we can 'lose' the notions we have in our current position and magically get into the original position.
That doesn't happen, as a theoretical proposition it's just as good as any. I could say 'guys, think for a sec that we just became ayy lmaos, what would you do?' but we aren't (and we will never be) ayy lmaos to claim anything, and furthermore, not everyone has the same level of abstraction to think about being an ayy lmao.
>>
I like it. I think that it's a mistake to try and take theoretical politics at face value, but rather, as thought experiments that demonstrate what principles we should work towards. I think he demonstrates a coherent vision of how, if we were to start asking how we should order society, what questions in particular we should ask and where we should start.
>>
>hurrdurr let's just assume a view from nowhere, then we can solve all our problems!
>oh wait we can't lol
>>
>>7401716
And then you sober up and realize what it would take to attempt to achieve such a society.
>>
File: fuckingreactionaries.jpg (62 KB, 479x524) Image search: [Google]
fuckingreactionaries.jpg
62 KB, 479x524
>>7401751
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.