[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mason Dixon Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: mason dixon.jpg (33 KB, 423x648) Image search: [Google]
mason dixon.jpg
33 KB, 423x648
Just finished this big guy. Loved it.

This is a general discussion thread since there's so much to talk about.

Starting prompt: What do you make of the ending?
>>
OP again. My interpretation of the ending:

In a weird way, kind of hopeful. Mason and Dixon end up propagating little Masons and Dixons, which is all anyone can ask for.

And on his deathbed, as his sons talk to him, Mason might be hearing the remnants of his travels with Dixon--maybe even the beginning of a new adventure.

Notice that Isaac talks as Dixon might have about magic Indians and fish jumping from rivers (referencing that which is down. Fitting, considering Dixon's occupation as surveyor).

And William, who seems the glummer of the two, talks about the stars, as Mason might have.

I feel like what I just wrote was sentimental bullshit, but I hope not. I don't think that Pynchon has a cruel streak and would give the two protags meaningless endings.
>>
N... no one wants to talk Pinecone?
>>
It's been too long since I read it (which as a personal plus also means it won't be so long until I get to re-read it)
for me to say anything about the last chapter other than yes, it did clearly strike a hopeful note even in the end

Anyone else way spooked by the waxhouse?
>>
idiot plen here
in what order should i read pynchon assuming i should read him at all
>>
I think it was good because it was both funny and smart. I was laughing, but I was also thinking. It had many pages, but also many laughs. A good read overall, and another masterpiece by Thomas Pynchon, that old card.
>>
>>7401081
I'm reading M&D now... I'm up to ch 5. So... we can talk about that much.
>>
>>7401178
>you have time and already plan to read all of those
V. -> Gravity's Rainbow -> Crying of Lot 49 -> (Inherent Vice -> Against the Day -> Bleeding Edge ->) Mason & Dixon
>idiot plen
Crying of Lot 49 -> Gravity's Rainbow -> V. -> Gravity's Rainbow
>straight to the good stuff
Gravity's Rainbow -> Mason & Dixon -> Against the Day
>>
Just put wood splinters under your toe nails.
>>
>>7401189
Why does the "idiot plen" suggestion single out his best three books in the best order there is?
>>
>>7401200
idiot plen here
also curious about that

also i have both crying of lot 49 and v which should i read first
>>
"He was your mate, dad. That's what happens when your mate dies."

That line brought the feels.

Regarding the book, what surprised me was how human and emotional it often was. I still prefer GR but people who say Pinecone is too cold and cerebral haven't read M&D, which is definitely a more accessible read and a good starting point.

I will say that fucking massive hardcover was a royal pain in the ass to read with tohugh
>>
>>7401209
49 if only because it's short as fuck and therefore less of an investment so you can finish it quickly and know if you're hooked or not.
>>
File: ray.jpg (38 KB, 790x444) Image search: [Google]
ray.jpg
38 KB, 790x444
>"We'll fish there. And you too."
>>
>>7401200
It was the only way of giving the anon who designated himself so a proper answer while still satisfying the elitist imperative by presenting original, opinionated alternatives as if they were out of his reach yet superior in some obscure objective capacity

>>7401209
>>
>inb4 fan boys drooling

woops, too late
>>
>>7401220
>>7401224
will do
thanks, i appreciate the guidance
>>
>English isn't my native tongue
>read Ulysses, don't have much problem with finishing it, of course a lot went over my head, chapter 3, etc
>pick Mason & Dixon 15 minutes ago
>read first page
>don't understand a single thing

can someone explain to me what the fuck is going on? at least this first tiny chapter
>>
>>7401251
Don't worry, you'll get used to it, mostly (though you still might have to look up a couple old words per page if you're not satisfied with guessing)
IIRC the first chapter is Rvd Cherrycoke starting to tell the story to his nephews and nieces, with their family around
>>
>>7401210
I think about this line a lot, no meme but its on par with sincerity with the Mario Incandenza line "Mario loves Hal so much it makes his heart beat hard."

Gravity's Rainbow is my favorite Pynchon, even though its been a few years so I'm not sure how I'd respond to it now (I think I'd like it more tbhqh), but I definitely find M&D a more impressive work, it had the kooky cartoon nature of it but M&D's constant bickering but overall love for each other really gets me.
>>
>>7401251
the anachronistic language can be tough but I think it's the hardest with Cherrycoke talking to his family the dialog at any other part is very easy to follow though.
>>
I thought it was impressive as fuck to write a book this size in a fairly pitch-perfect 19th century narrative voice, but for some reason Underworld, a thoroughly turgid and pointless book, got all the attention M&D deserved that year.
>>
hump
>>
I wonder if any editor has ever, ever-so-gently, suggested to TP that he should take out the lyrics in his books?
>>
>>7403617
What are you, racist or something?
>>
>>7403793

Yes, but I don't think that is why I think the lyrics are generally corny and funny exclusively to TP.
>>
>>7401167

Yeah I was fucking terrified by that.

The satanic party thing was also creepy as fuck.
>>
>>7401867
Underworld and M&D are up there for some of my personal favorite novels.
I think Underworld got more widespread critical attention due to it's modern/political tone which is a lot easier to endorse than a novel about two surveyors written through a fantasy like lense in 19th century prose.
>>
>>7405083

I honestly wish I had enjoyed Underworld as much as many others did. A lot of people I respect think it's the best novel of the last 20 years. I am very much outside this opinion.
>>
The last bits, especially when they part and are too embarrassed to admit they wanna be grouped together again on an assignment brought the feels.

Also, the whole bit with the kids reading that nighttime story which turns back into the main narrative seamlessly was fucking genius. So much crazy shit happens in that middle section of "America".
>>
I'm reading it now too, onto chapter 65. I'm loving this beast so far!
>>
DeLillo's Underworld?
>>
This thread is devised to prompt no intellectual conversation and dampen attitudes about intelligent posting and reflection.

Avoid slavs at all costs.
>>
>>7406091
>slavs
but
>>
>Mason's meetings in the woods with the ghost of his wife
>>
>>7407655
He was validating his point by invalidating it with a xenophobic statement
>>
File: 1429311230534.png (121 KB, 1548x1468) Image search: [Google]
1429311230534.png
121 KB, 1548x1468
>>7408027
>tfw zenophobic
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.