[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fiction about loners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1447509415606.jpg (388 KB, 1803x1351) Image search: [Google]
1447509415606.jpg
388 KB, 1803x1351
Hello /lit/,
I am looking for fiction about loneliness, isolation, solitude, alienation. I want the main character to be hyper-introspective and sensitive individual who physically lives in a society (town, city) and has some kind of a job etc. but mentally doesn't really fit. I don't care if its psychological fiction, literary, philosophical allegory, detective story or a historical novel. I don't care if its happy or depressing, I don't care if its set in 19th century or 2050. I'd prefer if the guy wasn't too bitter, hateful, mentally ill or weird (Notes from Underground by Dosto, Whatever by Houellebecq, Stranger by Camus). I want somebody a bit more nuanced, functional, better-adjusted. Somebody who's trying to find his way in life, you know.

Thanks.

>inb4 you want to read about yourself
its for research and inspiration...mostly
>>
ayy

catcher in the rye
>>
>>7398997
My diary desu
>>
File: 45974.jpg (36 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
45974.jpg
36 KB, 267x400
>>7398997
I'd recommend The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa. What you're looking for in a main character seems to perfectly match the main character of this book. You'd probably really like it.
>>
>>7399020
This looks great. I hope I can find it in my native language somewhere... thanks anon
>>
>>7398997
American Psycho is pretty good.
>>
bumping because of potential
maybe try Nausea?
>>
The Maimed - Hermann Ungar
>>
>>7399025
Is Patrick Bateman introspective though?
>>
>>7398997
You're looking for notes from the underground, buddy.

also known as /r9k/: the novella
>>
>>7398997
>>7403024
woops just read the second half of your post, disregard that comment
>>
>>7402242
He has opinions on things but isnt contemplative or reflective. He has a shallow view of the world, taking people at face value, because the only way to tell people in that world apart is how they are dressed. Having said that american psycho deals with alot of alienation and estrangement from reality

Norwegian wood by murakami is about a well adjusted guy who embraces his solitude.book , and is really comfy too. Some people say that all of murakamis books have the same main character, but NW is his best
>>
>>7398997
I just finished No Longer Human and I think its close to what you're looking for .
>>
>>7399020
>>7399024
Seconding Book of Disquiet. Fantastic book. Pessoa was a genius, on the same level as Joyce, maybe better.
>>
Good Morning Midnight by Jean Rhys
>>
File: Sibiu_Pan2.jpg (512 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sibiu_Pan2.jpg
512 KB, 1024x768
The lack of Hesse in this thread...

OP, disregard all advice in this thread and head straight for Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

Although Pesoa is a nice read as well, read that for the prose after.
>>
>>7398997
Bright Lights, Big City, Jay McInerny. Though the guy is social, he is very alienated, so I guess it counts.
>>
Sanshiro gave me some of those feels
>>
>>7403396
Yeah OP, Steppenwolf deals with this sort of thing.

Although it is a tedious read in some parts.

Actually it's fairly excruciating in some parts.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.