[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good resources to learn to write besides the TTC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 1376818217871.jpg (99 KB, 507x720) Image search: [Google]
1376818217871.jpg
99 KB, 507x720
What are some good resources to learn to write besides the TTC courses?
>>
reading a lot of (good) books. p much the only way.
>>
>>7396349
yeah, but reading books won't teach you the rules that will allow a deeper understanding.
>>
>>7396355
yes, it will. there's no 'rules'. if you want to understand characterization, or mood, or style, you have to feel it out of the works of other people. there's no textbook for it, you have to understand it by yourself.

unless i misunderstood and you don't want to write prose or poetry, in which case you should read the chicago manual of style.
>>
>>7396363
>there's no rules
that's the most retarded shit I ever constantely hear on /lit/

that's like saying music or painting or pretty much any art has no rules.
>>
>>7396368
if you don't want advice from /lit/, stop asking for advice on /lit/. go read robert mckee and strunk & white, pretend you learned something valuable and stay a mediocre little dipshit in whatever shit board you came from.
>>
>>7396347
Step 1 would be to get away from puerile garbage like anime, and stop spreading it to serious boards.
>>
>>7396384
>robert mckee
I have already read it

>strunk & white
isn't that a style manual?

I appreaciate your will to help, but saying literature has no rules is like saying that for writing academical musica you need to just listen classical without learning the theory.

>>7396388
I like it when It trigger people.
>>
File: images (2).png (4 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
images (2).png
4 KB, 224x225
>>7396394
>>
>>7396400
how can you write a good story if you don't know stuff like character development, arc structure, character arcs, goals and so on.
>>
File: zzzzz.jpg (23 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
zzzzz.jpg
23 KB, 500x378
>>7396412
>>
>>7396347
The people saying read more on here don't really understand how to write well.

The trick is, look in yourself find your genius your inspiration and write.

I think it was Victor Hugo who said, in every man brews an epic, so to write of man is impossible.

If there was one set of reading I would recommend, not in order to write, but just for general pleasure would be Emerson. Read Self-Reliance. That's all I can prescribe.

If you want to write, write. Reading does not make the self any stronger. Find the epic brewing in your head and put it on paper.

I will leave you with a quote from The American Scholar, "I had better never see a book, than to be warped by its attraction clean out of my own orbit, and made a satellite instead of a system."

You have to just write man, and keep writing.
>>
>>7397166
Gross oversimplifications throughout, but your last sentence is valid.

You have to write a ton of garbage first, OP. It's the only way to make something worthwhile.
>>
>>7397174
Well, I tried to condense my thought it something as simple as possible.

I disagree that you have to write garbage. Never strive for mediocrity. Write perfectly every time you write. Do the best you possibly can until you are proud of what you done. Then when you look back the next day you will realize it's not perfect and learn from your writing.

If one writes garbage, what makes you think anyone wants to read garbage. Write what inspires you.

Then you will never write garbage in your life, you will only have to make corrections to mistakes.
>>
>>7397196
No, I mean your early writings will invariably be garbage. Your best with no writing experience won't be good.

No one writes like Faulkner from the start (not even Faulkner). It's like that in every art. Sure, you should try your best, but don't expect it to be /good/. You'd only be setting yourself up for disappointment.
>>
>>7397210
I know what you mean, but it's important to argue semantics on this topic.

I'm trying to say it can be good. Art is an expression of the self at a period of time.

While it may not be comparable to a grizzled veterans writings, it can still be good in your eyes. It's a snapshot of your brain at that point in time. If you think your writing shit even at the beginning, you will never get better.

As a tutor, I run into this with mathematics a great deal. Students think because they are bad at Algebra they suck at math. It's not true. While Algebra is a walk in the park compared to Calculus, it's still important.

People need to feel as if everything they do is important.

If someone feels like they are making shit from the beginning, then they won't bother in the end.
>>
>>7397220
Imo arguing semantics is never important. Annoying masturbation for nerds.
>>
>>7396363
>hurr durr it just comes to you
>>
>>7397234
I'm sorry it doesn't for you, anon. You can still be a carpenter.
>>
>>7396368
Cogent argument.
>>
>>7397235
How about you show us your published work?
>>
>>7397404
http://press.parislitup.com/shop/paris-lit-up-magazine-n3-2015/

Hope you like it.
>>
>>7397427
So you have been published in a magazine once and now you think that because of that you must be a naturally gifted writer.
>>
>>7397437
>"once"

Why didn't you just ask for my CV if you wanted it? Do you wanna buy my chapbook, too?
>>
>>7397446
Sure, show us if you're willing. As far as it concerns me you're most likely a second-rate writer who far overestimates his skills at best.
>>
>>7397166
The only worthwhile advice here. How does one get better at anything? Practice. However also think tha reading quality literature improves one's own writing. There are devices that can be discerned if you consider writing as a philosophical discipline
>>
>>7397460
Why are you mad, tho? How would you know whether I overestimate my writing or not, having never seen it and never seen me estimate it in the first place? You should relax, you're on an imageboard.

Why don't you show us your published stuff, so us second rate writers can learn from you?
>>
>>7396347
Who's this semen demon?

You learn how to write by writing alot and analyzing the writings of others. There's no real secret to it.
>>
>>7397501
I'm not mad, that's how I usually talk when I disagree with someone. It seems that you prefer belittling the other person and being condescending for no reason, which rubs me the wrong way. I can safely assume you're not a good writer by the way you claim it "comes naturally" to you, yet from what I've seen you're a nobody.
>>
>>7397552
>It seems that you prefer belittling the other person and being condescending for no reason

You mean the guy who addressed me with "hurr durr", the guy you're whiteknighting? You see no reason to respond in kind to him?

> I can safely assume you're not a good writer by the way you claim it "comes naturally" to you

That's a great methodology to determine whether someone's writing is good or not. I never claimed that, though. It seems like the kind of thing someone... mad would overlook.

>you're a nobody

That's funny, who are you now? I gave you a link, you show me yours. I want to buy it.
>>
>>7397574
>You see no reason to respond in kind to him?
Sure. You just did it in a very irritating and unjustified way, so now I'm "whiteknighting" him.
>I never claimed that
>"I'm sorry it doesn't for you, anon. You can still be a carpenter."
This implies that for you it did.

>That's funny, who are you now? I gave you a link, you show me yours. I want to buy it.
I never made any claims, unlike you. There's nothing to prove.
>>
Try reading more furry smut, it helped me out a lot
>>
>>7397583
>This implies that for you it did.

An implication is not a claim, but I wouldn't expect you to understand nuance, really. I was rustling him, because he was being disingenuous and rude. Obviously, you were a victim of bystander-rustling.

>unlike you.

Can you list them? My claims I mean. Quote them, if you know how.

>I never made any claims

What a little hypocrite.

Was it the carpenter remark that got your young bottom all flush? Was your father a carpenter? Are you? Or maybe it's some working class solidarity going on.
>>
>>7397610
>An implication is not a claim, but I wouldn't expect you to understand nuance, really.
Okay, you win in semantics. Now tell me how you're not actually a nobody and a second-rate writer who vastly overestimates his skills. Your attitude on itself is enough for the point to remain valid, with no need for you to claim or implicate anything.
>Was it the carpenter remark that got your young bottom all flush? Was your father a carpenter? Are you? Or maybe it's some working class solidarity going on.
Or maybe I'm not getting as invested into a 4chan fight as you think I am. Get some emotional control. This makes you look childish.
>>
She is so cute
>>
>>7397594

The only one here who is willing to give advice and gives a damn.

Any suggestions or links to such?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.