[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you study enough to realize that ~92% of what normalfags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>tfw you study enough to realize that ~92% of what normalfags say about life is the truth
>tfw you realize that just being a generally solid dude with good moral values and a good social circle is worth infinitely more than any amount of interesting knowledge or intelligence
>>
yea like i care what some fucjkign n ormie has to say
>>
Being a normal person is much more fulfilling and productive than being a beta scholar fag. If you really want to be a scholar fag, at least get a spouse and some friends, or your life is pointless and your work is shit.
>>
>>7395502
Why is it worth infinitely more?1
>>
>>7395514
look buddy i dont make the reuls
>>
>>7395514
you won't kill yourself in three years.
>>
>>7395502
Ya kinda desu. Nerdiness/intellectualism is really just a shitty coping mechanism, pursued by people emotionally or environmentally incapable to do anything better with their time. Occasionally, a few lucky people are able to turn their coping mechanism into beautiful works/experiences, but really that's only happens to a minuscule percent of nerds and, even then, it only happens to them during a tiny amount of their life.

Shit sucks bro.
>>
>>7395527
what's even more fucked up is that you can find some guy with poor life circumstances who tries to do some intelelcutal shit or develop a skill for years and doesn't really get anywhere with it but someone else who is just more together and attentive to life can come by and surpass him in months with less effort. i've been on both sides of this and the first one sucks
>>
>>7395543
Ya srsly. Not only is nerdiness a small and already pretty pathetic club, but the competition within this club is fierce and success is rare given access to resources, time, genetic endowment, etc. Moreover, the price of failure is basically admitting that you have neither normie life sastisfaction or nerd accomplishments to brag about, leaving you practically r9k tier.

Fuck this life man. I would rather have just been a normal person. But oh well. Back to Milton. lol
>>
>>7395552
bro its not that hard to get normie life satisfaction. you just do enough stuff to get your confidence up and get your life together to a level where you can interact with other people in some semi-reasonable way (hardest part if ur fucked up enough) then just put yourself around people and let it happen naturally. also drinking is good but you have to do it in social situations and not alone. plus i don't know if it's good to encourage people who are fucked up to drink a lot even though it's easymode for social situations
>>
File: dfwglasses.jpg (4 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
dfwglasses.jpg
4 KB, 229x220
And the cliche turns out to be true, you learn a whole heck of a lot from your graduate students in the first 2-3 years, and then it sharply drops off.
>>
>>7395561
Eh, actually I'm quite happy with my life and have gone in and out of normie satisfaction during different periods. I'm just describing the experience in general.
>>
>>7395565
Misquote. Wrong interview. Sorry dog.
>>
>>7395567
oh gotcha keep at it my man!!! u can write some cool books or whatever ur doing and /lit/ believes in u
>>
>>7395572
ye

y-you too
>>
File: 1443207707236.png (1 MB, 850x1085) Image search: [Google]
1443207707236.png
1 MB, 850x1085
>>7395569
If you'll allow me, I'd like to tell a story that I haven't told since I stopped teaching graduate students
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 236x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 236x339
>>7395513
>>7395527
>>7395552
Jesus you people are sad. Just be a slightly eccentric normie by day and a scholar fag by night. Shits not that hard.

It's only oxymoronic if you're a complete fuckin autist.

This is also the key to attracting the opposite sex. Appear normal but with a quirky twist.

Me: Oh hey, I'm just a normal everyday guy.
>Bitches: What's that in your hand?
Me (pretending to be embarrassed): This.. Umm.. It's just a book I'm reading. (It's one of the Greeks)
>Bitches: do you like read a lot or something?
Me (after a chuckle): yeah I mean I guess a little bit. You?
>Bitches: something something Harry Potter something something
Me: Cool. Wanna Netflix and chill?

NEVER reveal your power level before sex; ALWAYS during pillow talk. Bitches be impressed by your norminess, but they come back for your eccentric side.

Idk why I digressed into some bullshit 'how-to get laid' blog. Maybe because I'm sick of reading about you sad fucks wanting to kill yourselves and not understanding why you feel this way. Hint: undersatisfied libido

Next level hint: The fix is only temporary. You'll probably want to kill yourself again in a week if you cannot repeat

we're all truly fucked
>>
>>7395502
>>tfw you study enough to realize that ~92% of what normalfags say about life is the truth

Keep studying.
>>
>>7395604
Ya ... fuck bitches? That's your solution? Are you a 19 years old?
>>
>>7395527
>Nerdiness/intellectualism is really just a shitty coping mechanism, pursued by people emotionally or environmentally incapable to do anything better with their time

Only if you deliberately seek to be a "nerd" or "intellectual" to separate yourselves from other people, whereas if you do it because you're generally interested in it, I think people will find your interest and passion amiable, even if they don't share that particular interest. Being "nerdy" about something, to me, means that you're passionate about it, and that's great. People shouldn't use it as a "coping mechanism" but as something to bring themselves pleasure and even to connect to other people
>>
>>7395502
Thats so true. And thats what existentialism is all about. Its about action, not solid contemplation. Although thats not bad in of it self. But those rotten nihilist in their NEET solitude who in their existential depression do not see a purpose or point of life, you are not gonna find it in your books. You are gonna find it in your personal struggle in your personal life. Who knows what would have happened if you had taken upon your self the mission of sorting out your personal relationships and all that bad karma in your life that you are both the receiver and creator of and being a moral upstanding guy.

People are simple creatures with simple needs (although there are individual differences in temper and traits), and if you get your needs covered chances are that you are gonna be somewhat happy or at least content instead of bitter and depressed. If you as an animal can get resources, secure a mate, get some social status and all that, its gonna have positive effects on your hormonal and chemical systems and you are gonna feel good.

Get your shit in order in life and maybe its not that bad at all. The real challenge of life is not letting the shit get you corrupt and resentful. I wish someone would have told me this years ago.
>>
>>7395502
the pleb is right, for the wrong reasons
the beta scholar fag is wrong, for the right reasons
the sage is right, for the right reasons.
>>
>>7395611
Yes, that's my solution. But, hey if you prefer dudes, I say go for it. And No, I'm not a teenager.

.. Though I should add that I expect to eventually fall in love with one of these women. She'll reveal her power level during pillow talk just like any half-way decent patrician, and I likewise. Together, we will go on grand adventures until one of us inevitably gets sick of the other and finds a new mate.

Sublimation of the libido is only possible up to a certain point. Here, you either get laid and release the tension, or you drink your sorrows away until you decide to pull the trigger.
>>
friendly reminder that everyone finds happiness in their own way and peoples lives arent comparable. As long as someone thinks theyre happy then literally nothing else matters. This is why the fact that most people dont give a shit about philosophy/lit is completely fine. Honestly the best way to live life is to just love and be loved. Its too bad that some people me are too autistic or dead inside to form any kind of meaningful relationship and so we try to learn or some shit just to pass the time.

the normie life is THE life, i feel bad for anyone who can't live it.
>>
>>7395625
This anon gets it.
>>
File: meh.jpg (6 KB, 238x140) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
6 KB, 238x140
>>7395502
>>>>yfw you realize it's all worth nothing
>>
>>7395643
>This is why the fact that most people dont give a shit about philosophy/lit is completely fine.
>completely fine.
Lost me here. Ignorance is dangerous. Espec in a democracy. IRL experiences can only offer so much to the uneducated, as these experiences obtain value in relation to the observer's previous experiences -- both lived experiences and those understood vicariously through reading. The latter of which obviously the more accessible and thus, in most cases, the limiting variable.
>>
>>7395660
thats right, so you might as well spend your shitty worthless life high on dopamine and love is usually the best way to get doped out nigga.
>>
>>7395663
it doesn't matter which of those you choose so stay true to yourself. idiot.
>>
>>7395502
who gives a fuck anyway...learn to relax anon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ6t5SK8Dwk
>>
>>7395639
>She'll reveal her power level during pillow talk
God this one sad puppy that should be put down.

>Sublimation of the libido is only possible up to a certain point

The libido is just a spook my friend.
>>
>>7395625
>reducing emotions to hormones

Come on man. While there is a scientific basis for everything we experience, there is also a spiritual quality in man which transcends the chemical reactions that constitute your body.

>social status

Who fucking cares. Being neet isn't the answer, but if you really give a shit about majority opinion you might want to reconsider what you value in life. Money, success, these things promise total fulfillment but are finite just like us, they'll only make you happy for so long.
>>
>>7395756
>there is also a spiritual quality in man
Also hormones and neurotransmitters and electrical impulses.
>>
>>7395502
Why not be both anon?
>>
>>7395639
Can you explain what revealing your power level during pillow talk looks like?

>hnngh, I just came. what's your name again?
>"my name is susie, you ass."
>alright whatever sylvia. the point is that I'm a fucking nerd and I have commitment issues. we can't see each other anymore.
>"you *fucking* ass, barry. have fun being a nerd. you don't even wear glasses or like creme brulee."
>I'm going to brag about my thinly veiled commitment issues on the internet
>>
File: thinkin' 'bout dolphins.gif (2 MB, 387x213) Image search: [Google]
thinkin' 'bout dolphins.gif
2 MB, 387x213
>tfw you learn how easy it is to act normie and how impressionable they really are
>>
>>7395660
This
>>
File: 1443725567949.png (229 KB, 708x400) Image search: [Google]
1443725567949.png
229 KB, 708x400
>tfw you study enough to realize that 100% of what anybody says about life is the truth
>>
>>7395776
experiment: go put hotsauce down your urethra. report whether you felt pain or simply felt "neurotransmitters and electrical impulses."

you actually have assburgers if you believe anything you're writing.
>>
>>7395756
Its not social status in the narrative of being rich and famous. Its a basic necessity in human existence and in all animals for that matter. The world is a more dangerous place for someone of low social status. In animal hierarchies where they have a pecking order, those birds who are lowest, the birds that everyone pecks on, when a famine or disease moves trough they are the first ones to die because their nervous systems are so stressed out from constantly being pecked on that it can't handle the additional stress. In herd animals on the savanna the lowest ranking members are on the outside of the flock, where they are most vulnerable to pray animals. We live in hierarchies, and we have done that so far back in the evolutionary chain that they are older then trees. We have biological systems in our brain that monitors the relative status of us and our peers, if you are constantly for some reason always losing and low status, then that has affects on you on at least two different levels. One level is straight up the hormonal and chemical level, your nervous systems knows you are low and thus it perceives the world to be a more threatening place (and it is literally) and that amps up your stress response because you have to prepared for dangers, and that means higher cortisol and for some thats in it self a reason for depression. Its not exactly pleasant to think of it but its there and you can't get your way out of it by just saying "i am not playing that game", that just playing another game.

Hierarchies have always been there and probably always will and thats just something we have to contend with. Just make sure you are not lowest on the pole. (if you are NEET shuting with no friends you probably are and thats why you are depressed)

>Come on man. While there is a scientific basis for everything we experience, there is also a spiritual quality in man which transcends the chemical reactions that constitute your body.
You can't know that. But if there was a spiritual aspect then why would that be separate from the chemical plane?
>>
>>7395913
That would still be neurotransmitters and electrical impulses. Spirituality is just a meme to help the weak willed cope with reality.
>>
>>7395925
>My memes are better than your memes!
You're very clever young man, but it's memes all the way down.
>>
> tfw reality must be structured into the sacred and the profane if it is to be understood.
> tfw religion is the structure of social reality, necessary if that reality is to exist at all.
> tfw even Dawkins (especially Dawkins) is a devout believer.
> tfw the biggest fools are those who take their religion to be the mere state of nature, and thus not a religion at all.
> tfw the culture of science is America's most vapid and regressive religious institution.
> tfw that's no small feat given the absurd stupidity of America's other dominant religions.
> tfw TED talks are the church of "secular" America.
> tfw the platitudes of Sagan and NdT are the apotheosis of secular religious wisdom.
> tfw all of America is unhinged barbarism.
> tfw there is zero hope for political or social change.
> tfw America is an apartheid state but the left is more concerned that upper-class blacks might be microtriggered if they use the wrong language.
> tfw the right still thinks the Jews are plotting the destruction of the world.
> tfw society collapsed decades ago.
> tfw there is nothing left to do.
>>
File: 1422414413783.jpg (86 KB, 777x753) Image search: [Google]
1422414413783.jpg
86 KB, 777x753
>noble savage
>normie essence is the same everywhere
>>
>>7395964
Scholars of the highest class, when they hear about the Tao, take it and practice it earnestly.
Scholars of the middle class, when they hear of it, take it half earnestly.
Scholars of the lowest class, when they hear of it, laugh at it.
Without the laughter, there would be no Tao.
>>
File: 1409550089111.jpg (41 KB, 288x492) Image search: [Google]
1409550089111.jpg
41 KB, 288x492
>>7395502
>>
>>7395527
Or maybe introverts are more prone to do thinking.

#woah
#occamsrazor
>>
>>7395925
>Spirituality is just a meme to help the weak willed cope with reality.

you've established already that mental states are reducible to their material causes in the brain. there is no way for anything like a "will" to exist given this presumption. As you say, it's all just neurotransmitters and electrical impulses.

Let me put it the proper terminology for you:

> Certain neurotransmitters and electrical impulses are just some other neurotransmitters and electrical impulses that help some other neurotransmitters and electrical impulses to cope with being neurotransmitters and electrical impulses.

I'm not even trying to make fun, but that is some severe autism.
>>
>>7395913
are you retarded ?
pain, pleasure and everything else we experience can be traced down chemical interaction and electrical impulses
if you think that there is something 'more' to people that transcends the material you have a whole lot of justification to do
>>
>>7395985
Yes, there's nothing weird there. You are confused because you are ignorant. Take a neuroscience course and actually learn something real instead of your occult shakra bullshit or w/e you read.
>>
>>7395988
>>7395991
That guy's being retarded, but you guys are essentially saying nothing.
>>
>>7395988
>>7395991
only an idiot would believe that a thing can be reduced to its material cause.

also, I don't know what neuroscientist taught you that qualia isn't real, but I strongly advise you to drop out of whatever for-profit institution you found him in. That shit is basically fraud.
>>
>>7395991
>You are confused because you are ignorant.

don't you mean "neurotransmitters and electrical impulses are neurotransmitters and electrical impulses because neurotransmitters and electrical impulses are neurotransmitters and electrical impulses"?
>>
>>7396010
>only an idiot would believe that a thing can be reduced to its material cause.
nice job saying something without any proof or justification
>>
>>7395625
how old r u anon??
>>
>>7395639
>She'll reveal her power level during pillow talk

You are actually hiding your interests, knowledge and dreams, coming off as a regular joe, in order to seduce a woman, who just like you plays dumb, since she feels her interests, knowledge and dreams are too diffrent from what a regular joe would not even appreciate, but understand.
>>
>>7395713
this is some seriously dank shit, thanks friend!
>>
File: tip5.png (598 KB, 461x514) Image search: [Google]
tip5.png
598 KB, 461x514
>>7395925
*genuflects tyrolean*
>>
>>7395924
Animals largely depend on the environment for sustenance, and while we also do, we also possess mental faculties which allow us to manipulate our environment, bend it to our will. We are aware of our mortality, unlike animals. We can create and observe art and feel ecstasy, wonder; at other times we can feel crushing despair, sadness, loneliness. Chalking all of this up to biology and chemistry is a perfect example of the positivist blight on the world.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.