[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best translation of Notes from the Underground?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1445391857567.png (400 KB, 480x639) Image search: [Google]
1445391857567.png
400 KB, 480x639
What's the best translation of Notes from the Underground?
>>
P&V you fag
>>
>>7395376

I was told p&v was absolute trash for the brother's K, is that not the case here?
>>
Dostoevsky translation.
>>
>>7395376
topkek
>>
>>7395381
Read the new yorker article on the issue
>>
>>7395388

Ok

>>7395383

Ok
>>
whichever translation doesn't call it notes from -the- underground
>>
>>7395381
>>7395386
Whose translation do you prefer? Garnett?
>>
>>7395366
it doesn't matter

it's not a book that requires a genius level translator
>>
Mine is by Mirra Ginsburg. How much did i fuck up senpai?
>>
>>7395423
Garnett is shit. P&V are shit. Luckily for humanity they aren't the only translations, as much of /lit/ believes.

To answer your question: Magarshack, Avsey, and McDuff, in that order but all three are good and a matter of preference. What you should do is just go to amazon and "quick read" all translations and choose whichever works for you.
>>
>>7395509

I see. I guess it's not the readability I'm worried about, but the quality of translation
>>
>>7395518
Again, go to amazon and read all of them. After reading the same paragraph you'll get the idea of what it's talking about and then you can choose which style you prefer as well as which one you believe is more accurate.
>>
I hated the p&v style for The Brothers Karamazov, but it didn't bother me for Notes from the Underground. What's good about Notes - the utterly realistic paradoxes of the underground man's psychology - doesn't need a great translator. Read whatever is the most convenient.
>>
>>7395518
>translation
>>
>>7395534

Alright, thanks. Will do
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.