[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teaching philosophy to young children
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Kids-in-classroom1.jpg (768 KB, 2700x1800) Image search: [Google]
Kids-in-classroom1.jpg
768 KB, 2700x1800
What are good "philosophical" questions to ask to a class of eleven to thirteen year old kids?

My little brother is interested in philosophy and asked me to come up with some questions that he and his class could discuss.
I've already got a bunch, but was wondering what other people would come up with.
I'm not really concerned that the questions would be to complicated for kids to handle. From what I've experienced they're usually able to understand these things. They're just not going to go that deep with their answers, but that doesn't matter. Kids need to learn how to think critically, they don't need to be the next Wittgenstein at that age.
>>
>>7394112

Is mass euthanasia of the poor, intellectually challenged and undesirables the best course of action on an earth with finite resources?
>>
probably some practical ethics

trolley car problem maybe?
>>
>>7394119
Yes, that sort of thing. I've already got that one though.
>>
>Are you little shits spooked? Well prepare to get despooked...
Pull out a box of The Ego And Its Own copies
>>
>>7394112
what "is"
>>
>>7394129
kek

I'd go with things that won't shake their world too much, but are still fundamental. Discuss things like realism, basic questions in linguistics, the nature of knowledge, and so on.
>>
red pill them on free will
>>
>>7394112
You're on the right path I think.

Kids are smart as shit desu. They just don't have the foundational knowledge for academic philosophy, and shoving it in their faces at that age will just alienate them from it.

You kind of have to "sell" philosophy to them. So you have to make it relatable + engaging to them. Make it a discussion where the bridge between you and them is open/equal. Being the adult that doesn't talk down to them will get you pretty fucking far.

Then again there are also a lot of kids/adults who don't value critical thinking, being thoughtful, etc. You're bound to get asked why philosophy is valuable/practical so you can turn that around and explain why that in and of itself is philosophy.

In fact opening with the idea that everyone’s a philosopher and that people who study it are just more consciously aware/focused in their approach to thinking could be a really good opener. Listing “cool” philosophers would be good, too. People, especially young and impressionable people are always psyched to emulate who they admire.

Shit you could take something out of pop culture. You could talk about qualia with the gold/white dress or whatever hot celeb maymays people are up to these days.

> HOW DO I REACH THESE KEEDZ
>>
>>7394232
My little brother wanted to turn it into a game. I'm trying to work out exactly how to do it, but tell me if I'm on the right path here:
The class would be divided in a few groups. Every round starts with a question or some kind of thought experiment that they need to discuss. When someone gives an answer they get a ball. When somebody either refutes their answer or adds something to it the ball gets passed to them. That way they are challenged to discuss and come up with different views to a question. The round ends when a statisfactory answer is given or when they run out of things to say. Of course me or the teacher would have to regulate and explain but I think it could work. That way they're more engaged, and discuss themselves instead of me telling them the answers.
>>
>>7394252
Oh, and the team who has the ball at the end of the round gets a point or something.
>>
>>7394262
do you think kids will be able to come up with interesting stuff? Maybe you should prepare it in advance and do the game later when they know more or less on what level the discussion is taking place. What are common arguments, refutations etc. How to detect a fail in someone's points.
turn them in
>implying
little shits so /lit/ can have so new blood in five year's time.
>>
>>7394252
That's a really really good idea! Especially since like you said you wouldn't be leading them to an answer so much. That's pretty much the best way to spark critical thinking. Especially since you can throw your opinion into the fire to spark more discussion.

You got this, OP.
>>
Tbh senpai
>>
>>7394272
I'd probably start with something like the trolley problem. Explain the the options and then ask the class what they would do and why they think it would be the right thing to do. Maybe while the discussion is going on write some of their conceptions of ethics they didn't even know they had on the board. Eventually ending up with their definition of ethical behaviour.
I guess it's pretty much the socratic method.
>>
>>7394112
>>>/his/
>>
>>7394250

>Kids are smart as shit desu.

I've worked as a teacher for some time now.

They most definitely are not.
>>
>>7394336
Maybe you're just not teaching them in the right way.
>>
Don't, unless they are the heirs of important political, financial, intellectual, etc legacies. Forcing philosophy on the plebs will just stir up a lot of mud from the shallow depths of their spirits, obscuring what should be clear
>>
>>7394403
Nice bait dude. Really, honestly, nice bait.
>>
>>7394119
My experience is that kids in the trolley problem all go utilitarian and there isn't much discussion.
>>
>>7394413
>t. muddler
>>
>>7394250
But how do you sell philosophy to a normie?
>>
>>7394434
Sure, that's why you need to ask if they would do the same things if it was their dad tied to the tracks. It turns into more of a heart vs. mind dilemma.
>>
File: chrysippus.jpg (27 KB, 238x351) Image search: [Google]
chrysippus.jpg
27 KB, 238x351
>>7394112
epistemology
>>
>>7394449
Or the one with the sick loop
>>
1)what is logic? is it necessary to use it in everything we do, think?
2)What is normal? When do we stop questioning things?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.