[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know wtf this is? It was posted by someone on /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: finnegans_wake_inside3.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
finnegans_wake_inside3.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
Does anyone know wtf this is? It was posted by someone on /lit/ and I saved it bc I love it, but I don't understand what it is. This isn't the ending of Finnegans Wake, is it? I recognize the riverrun, past eve and adams, etc. as the beginning of Finnegans Wake, and I know that it's supposed to be a circular novel, but no searches of these paragraphs bring up anything FW related, so I'm confused:
Music's in my ears, sounds
Strangely bringing days long
Gone, the heat of summer's sun,
Laura's face, all said and done,

The smell of sweat pervades the
Air, water's freshness sought and
Found, the thirst satisfied to sustain
August's lust's unquenchable fire,

She giggles and my body freezes, or
Maybe it evaporates and expands, like her
Laughter; her soothing voice spreads
Around the room, echoing, reverberating,

Colliding with the walls, everything,
Massaging my body. Her words touch my
Hears, her high-pitched laughter sounds
Like my smile, it seems, please keep talking,

And I'll just listen. Let everything else be
A movie to my mind, a movie, let it pass
And demand none of me, let me care without
Caring, let me love without loving, I love you,

I swear. Darling, I love you, it's just hard
To say I do, it's hard to put love into words,
Into gestures, into, into... it's hard to say
I love you, but I do, it's easy to, to love you.

He said that once. He knew his message
Hadn't gotten through, he knew it had been
Ridiculous, inadequate, stupid, pointless,
Dishonestly honest. Can't be who you aren't.

Her death left him baffled. He loved her.
But he felt what looked to him like relief.
She was gone, this was the end, there is
A lot of relief in knowing that things will end.

When meditating, the river's water shines
Clear and transparent. Transparency allows
Clear sight, clear sight allows knowledge, but
Knowledge impedes understanding of others,

For not everyone knows, while they act as
They do. Fallacies are sound arguments, that
Lack a proper score. Valid arguments are
Well-written scores, but they are nothing without

Performers. riverrun, past eve and adams,
from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings
us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back
to the fallacy that sounds through my ears.
>>
Nice quads

Also this is just shitty OC poetry, nothing from a book
>>
>>7386674
glad that's cleared up and I can finally delete this
>>
>>7386666
This isn't very good. I'm going to guess you've written this and just trying to get some cheers, hiding your attention whoring with a phony request
>>
>>7386721
that is the most absurdly shy way of trying to get work out there, also who would write an original poem and then end it with an incredibly well-known bit of prose?? there are some things that I think are objectively nice, such as:

>Her words touch my
>Hears, her high-pitched laughter sounds
>Like my smile, it seems, please keep talking,

>And I'll just listen.

but yeah that's all, was just wondering what this was
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 1920x800
>>7386666
So apparently, you just want to know more? In that case, why post the poem?

Although I find the text off-putting, there's nothing impenetrable about the structure if you know a bit of deep history and biblical lore.

I would argue that Joyce doesn't play jazz with structure, he just arrives at it organically. I'll admit that I haven't waded through the wake, but my take on it is that he's going through history in order to assess the role of Pre-Revolutionary politics in modern Irish life, which probably seemed like quite an irony to him. Yet it's not hard to imagine why the Causal politics of Democracy would be ill-suited to a group of Organic-thinkers like the Irish. Nor is it hard to understand why the sudden enfranchisement would make one want to puzzle out the old ideas in the open air of a ballot box.

The gibberish speech is just there to provide a loose assortment of deeply-felt allusions to history, literature, or to such tactile everyday experiences as the short-wave radio.

CONT.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 500x670
One thing that every reader should know going into Ulysses or the Wake is the real role of what Spengler calls the Magian Soul, or the ME Culture...

When Joyce works with characters like Esau, (the arguably Idumaean) Thersites, Bloom, Ibdullin, Muhammed, he's really threading them through one and the same structure, which is the notion of the foreigner in the abstract, or the Arab Culture in the concrete.

Growing dark is associated with Cush in some readings of the Bible, and to shake hands with Post-Revolutionary politics is akin to shaking hands with the devil, therefore, Joyce shakes a Zaraite hand in his general direction.

Aun (1) through Geg (10) is something else...Ten is associated with Saturn/Mars in the Kabbalah, perhaps Joyce is associating his politics with war? Hence, skull and crossbones drawn up in an assembly-line fashion, like an armament industry.

The Italics on the left-hand side are there to provoke us with supposed 'dirty words', although they're a bit too small to read in that image.
>>
>>7387249
>So apparently, you just want to know more? In that case, why post the poem?
what? how would you know what I want to know more about if I didn't post the poem?
>>
>>7387330
Anon is talking about Finnegan's Wake itself, not your poem
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 1593x671) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 1593x671
Ibdullin is also associated with ice, or perhaps with blue.

To make use of an organic association (never 'free'): In Joyce's mind, the the river running around the British Isles, or Europe as a whole, is the whole hamshack Canaanite world in perpetuam.

He ends the book in an apparently felicitous way, but also in one which highlights the darkness of his soul. He's absorbed the Arab Culture, and related it in a negative sense. In that sense alone, he is a failed divinity student, but it doesn't come from lack of knowledge about the past, since Joyce actually does understand many arcane or obscure things.

http://youtu.be/-qvS-vuY1Gc
>>
>>7386735
>also who would write an original poem and then end it with an incredibly well-known bit of prose??
You, when you posted it on the 'write what's on your mind' thread in July. It was pretty obvious what the real purpose of this thread was.

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S6830175#p6830451
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.