[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read a bunch of Ezra Pound for a class and I really want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: ezra pound.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
ezra pound.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
I read a bunch of Ezra Pound for a class and I really want to keep going. What do I pick up specifically to tackle him head on?

I've read both his prose and poetry in a limited amount, and am interested in both. If I'm interested in buying everything he wrote is there a reasonable collection I can buy in a few books? If not, I'd appreciate some fairly large collections to start.

Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>7384284
Cantos should be one volume, his poetry another.

I took this one IIRC out at my library, it's pretty comprehensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Ezra-Pound-Translations-Library-America/dp/1931082413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448328917&sr=8-1&keywords=pound+poems+and+translations

As for the Cantos, I don't know, someone else can tell you.

Don't bother with any of his prose collections. His prose writing is really dreadful.
>>
File: library of america.jpg (745 KB, 1804x2820) Image search: [Google]
library of america.jpg
745 KB, 1804x2820
>>7384304
Here's a picture of a typical LoA hardcover. The Pound volume was more of a maroon color but otherwise looked the same. The insides were good, the pages a little thin for my taste but w/e, the typeface was OK, and the poems were formatted properly.
>>
File: LoA Typeface Whitman.png (91 KB, 592x544) Image search: [Google]
LoA Typeface Whitman.png
91 KB, 592x544
>>7384316
And here's a screenshot of one of Amazon's scans from a LoA Whitman volume to give you a sense for what I mean about the typeface. It's not awful, but it's not my favourite.
>>
>>7384304
>His prose writing is really dreadful.
I enjoyed it for my limited exposure. I'll save that for last anyway based on your recommendation.

I'll consider that version, though being heavy handed thin pages actually concerns me.

Would still love advice on the cantos, and perhaps a higher quality option for the poems. Budget isn't too much of an issue as long as it isn't some obscure out of print $200 book that is marginally better than a $20 alternative.
>>
Ezra Pound is anti-semitic and should be buried. It's 2015, we don't need that kind of influence
>>
>>7384390
literally nobody on this board says that
>>
File: 14483315686941812651132.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
14483315686941812651132.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7384381
>Cantos
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0811213269/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448331409&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Cantos+of+ezra+pound&dpPl=1&dpID=41jz1qflUVL&ref=plSrch

I have the hardcover of this.

>Higher quality option for the poems
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000EEYLJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1448331466&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=personae+ezra+pound&dpPl=1&dpID=51N49SJ-gHL&ref=plSrch

I have the hardcover of this, pic related.

All you need as far as his verse goes.
Essays and prose is another matter. He wrote a metric fuck ton, you might consider this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0313304483/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448331537&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Encyclopedia+of+Ezra+Pound&dpPl=1&dpID=41YHv%2BqoHTL&ref=plSrch

I have a PDF of it if $145 is too steep for you.
>>
>>7384416
>I have a PDF of it if $145 is too steep for you.
Ouch. Um..link please? I'm probably tackling the prose last anyway, so I don't mind kicking that can farther down the road.

Thanks a ton for the links. Can you talk a little about what the insides of those look like? How they feel? Are the pages good and sturdy?
>>
File: hoaryvervain.png (969 KB, 681x899) Image search: [Google]
hoaryvervain.png
969 KB, 681x899
>>7384444
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=B0C3F933DCF710AAFA30665D5FFE1530

Yeah, the paper's thick and the typeface is standard and legible, the formatting is all correct and the covers aren't ugly and the binding is sturdy.
These were both printed by New Directions. They make good books.
>>
>>7384449
Thanks man. Seems perfect. I can get them both on Better World Books for under $40. I'm going for it.
>>
>tfw Ezra pound is steadily becoming a new member of the meme pantheon
>>
>>7384584

The memekids won't have patience enough to take on The Cantos. I wouldn't be too worried.
>>
>>7384584
Uh.
Heh.
Funny you say that, because if you look at the end of Hypersphere...
>>
>>7384584
He'll probably make it up into the highest tiers of the /lit/ canon because

>he's an asshole, and I have deep resentment for normal and nice people because of my social anxiety, so I think assholes are more genuine and human than polite and generous people
>he thinks everyone else is a moron, just like I do
>his interest in art is unmoral, unreligious, unphilosophical—just like mine
>He's too obscure for normies (or me) to understand on first reading, so I don't need to worry about losing my snowflake status
>if anyone says he sucks I can just accuse them of being an SJW JIDF "It's 2015" school of resentment bigot
>if anyone says he's a bad human being, and not just an asshole, I can pull out "b-but muh helping Joyce and Eliot get published"
>>
>>7385857
>>he's an asshole, and I have deep resentment for normal and nice people because of my social anxiety, so I think assholes are more genuine and human than polite and generous people
No he wasn't lol
>>he thinks everyone else is a moron, just like I do
No he didn't??
>>his interest in art is unmoral, unreligious, unphilosophical—just like mine
So?
>>He's too obscure for normies (or me) to understand on first reading, so I don't need to worry about losing my snowflake status
He's one of the most famous literary figures of the 20th century, he's hardly obscure. Some of his poems are hard, nobody claims Zettels Traum as a favorite just because it's hard
>if anyone says he sucks I can just accuse them of being an SJW JIDF "It's 2015" school of resentment bigot
What does his work have to do with him?
>if anyone says he's a bad human being, and not just an asshole, I can pull out "b-but muh helping Joyce and Eliot get published"
No I can say you're a retard for listening to memes on this website about him instead of reading a biography yourself.
>>
>>7386085
>No he didn't??
have you read his work?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.